“Best home cooking in town!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 23 Restaurants in Monaghan
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Monaghan town's longest established family run restaurant. We specialise is fresh food - all homemade from starters to desserts. We have house specialities such as our Garlic Mushroms and Chicken Monaghan. Weekly Specials Menu starting every Friday at 6pm. To view this weeks specials visit our website or follow us on Facebook were they are also published. We have a private dining room that can accommodate up to twenty people for functions - packages include three courses for €20
Monaghan, Ireland
“Best home cooking in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We often go to Andy's for our dinner, the service is excellent and the food is fabulous, our favourite is the garlic chicken. Its a cosy, friendly, family restaurant nothing fancy to hide any flaws, its perfect for dinner any day of the week. The portion sizes are not shy that's for sure!
Overall 10 out of 10.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
killygoan, Owner at Andy's, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Orlaith,

Many thanks for your kind remarks, the Garlic chicken is an old favourite which proves to be very popular. Portion size is something that is very important, nothing worse than going to a restaurant and ordering garlic mushrooms for example and they work out at approximately €1 per mushroom! Look forward to seeing you back in Andy's soon.

Regards Kevin

“Not what it used to be, or maybe too much the same as it used to be?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

I've always loved the food here and the service was always great but my last visit as a group of 4 was quite a different experience.

To preface, it was the Blues Festival weekend and Andy's was fully booked. We ate our meal in the bar.

All was going well til it came time to order. Firstly the waitress was very flustered and kept interrupting us as we tried to give our order, "yes, eh-eh, yes, was that pepper sauce" even having just said "Monaghan" three times.

Most of the food arrived as ordered, albeit with half the soup on the table and with a few reminders re: mash, sauce (which was still delivered as pepper not Monaghan).

Quality of the food was good, lovely big helpings and nice flavours.

I think it may be time to add a few new items though as it's the same menu for 20 yrs. nice, but getting complacent and dated.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
killygoan, Owner at Andy's, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with you most recent visit to Andy's. The Blues Festival weekend was particularly busy and your waitress was clearly under severe pressure and "very flustered" as you recognised. Unfortunately, the service that you received was affected by this situation. I have spoken to the waitress that served you and she realises the mistakes that she made and apologies sincerely for that. She also realises that everything that you say or do can now appear on a forum like this - and her boss gets to hear about it! Thankfully the food was good and did have flavour. I would agree with you that the majority of menu has not changed in a number of years. There is a very distinct reason for this - dishes like our Chicken Monaghan, Chicken Hawaii or our Garlic Mushroom are our unique selling points (USP) and only available here in Andy's. People have been visiting our restaurant for over 30 years for our Garlic Mushrooms or our Chicken Monaghan. McDonalds don't change their menu very often too, they have a core menu - and from time to time they introduce limited edition burgers - it keeps their business fresh and exciting. Similarly, at Andy's - we too have our core menu, but your review you failed to mention our "Weekly Specials" this includes three or four starters and a similar amount of main courses which are totally unique and different, they too run for a limited time also - in our case one week! Our "weekly Specials" menu is designed for the customer who wants something just a little bit diferent - it is targeted at the gourmet diner - this week for examle one of the dishes that we feature is "Medeterranean Salmon and Seabass". A new menu is launched at 6pm every Friday and runs til 6pm the following Friday it can be viewed on our Facebook page. As you can appreciate, producing a menu like this takes a lot of effort - purchasing addition supplies, preparation, and the cooking of these new dishes. You will also note that my competitiors have not copied this idea, why? - because it takes too much effort.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to leave your review - and your service comments are taken on board and they will help improve our service.

Regards Kevin Redmond MSc.
Malin Head, Ireland
“So disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Went into Andy's on our way to Dublin. Starving and really looking forward to a meal in the #1 restaurant in Monaghan...
We were so disappointed. Asked for chicken with veg Didn't want a sauce with it. I even went to the bar to ensure there was to be no gravy on either dinner... The dinners arrived with food COVERED in gravy. I tried to get the girl to change it but she was very unwilling to do so saying the kitchen was busy. Will never be back to Andy's.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
killygoan, Owner at Andy's, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Julie's review provided me with the inspiration for my "Customer Service Guarantee"
Who cares that I have well over 100 reviews, with the vast majority of them positive. Did you read any of them? It's human nature isn't it, that's why we've just read this one!

Normally, I would go into great lengths to defend myself or my staff. In this case I only want to focus on the positive results that this review is going to bring to my business. I now offer all my customers this proposition:

"Our goal at Andy's is 100% guest satisfaction. If you aren't satisfied with something, please let one of our staff know, and we'll make it right for you. It's guaranteed"

For some reason businesses are afraid to offer their customers this type of guarantee. Maybe, if I had my Customer Satisfaction Guarantee displayed (as I do now) Julie may not have written her negative review and taken up my offer. (You most certainly would not have been charged for your meal - this offer is extended to anyone reading this reply.

Julie, I sincerely thank you for your review, as I believe that my new Customer Satisfaction Guarantee will:

1) Electronic Media - My guarantee will be widely read here on Tripadvisor (it just has been!) I now can reach a food loving audience that maybe deciding where to dine when passing through Monaghan, they may have a little more confidence if they chose my restaurant.

Customer Satisfaction - My guarantee will (or should reduce the number of negative reviews here on Tripadvisor - as customers in Andy's will see my guarantee prominently displayed and they will be given their chance to tell us, thus aiding customer retention rates in Andy's.

So once again Julie, I genuinely thank you for giving me the inspiration.

Best Wishes

Kevin Redmond MSc.
Monaghan, Ireland
“Savage feed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Good prices, comfortable pub & great staff.
One thing you can be sure of, you won't be hungry leaving the place.

Tapas starter was okay but the steak & onions was a savage feed.

Recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Niall,

We pride ourselves on the fact that our portions are generous and you will not leave hungry - or at least you shouldn't. The Tapas Plate is very much gourmet type food and may not be to everyones tastes - if you like continential meats, you will love this dish. Our beef is now dry-aged in-house and we promote this on our menu. Our beef is receiving excellent reviews on Tripadvisor and indeed in the business. Our approach to business is really all about making little changes to the business all the time!

Regards Kevin
New York City, New York
“good food. home styled”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Wonderful place for a meal, friendly staff excellent food with good service. Also reasonably priced.Would go again

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
killygoan, Owner at Andy's, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Many thanks for your review, short and to the point - a lesson to other as how to wirite a good review. I hope you enjoyed your time in Ireland, and many thanks for calling in with us.

Best wishes Kevin