“Another lovely stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dublin, Ireland
“Another lovely stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

Just back from another great trip to the westport woods hotel. The kids club was great as always. Our room was fine. No telephone in the room, but we didn't even notice until the second last day :)

The food in the restaurant is not great. But it wasn't quite so bad this year as last year. But feeding the masses is challenging. The portions of veg served with dinner are tiny. The first night one small dish of veg was brought out fir me and my husband to share. There was one piece of broccoli, a few carrots, a few mixed veggies.

The food in the bar is much better, but we don't go to the westport woods hotel for the food.

The staff were friendly and pretty efficient.

The westport woods hotel is very family friendly. But it is not the place to go if you're a couple looking for a quiet romantic getaway :D

Overall a lovely time and we'll probably be back again

Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

B&B + dinner and a family room for 5 all included deal over the August bank holiday was great value. Rooms were clean, staff extremely helpful and friendly. Nothing was too big a deal storing our bikes, adding a bed to our room so our teens did n't have to sleep in a bunk bed.
Gym & 18m swimming pool.
Excellent location for Westport Quays and a stroll into town.

So much to do around Westport and Mayo the hotel was a great hub to go too and from.

Room Tip: Children level of noise was loud. But if you go to a family friendly hotel that's what you will...
Green Features: Good environmental practices and a visible commitment to best practices.
dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We stayed here for a family gathering and wont be staying again. We had two small children with us,a 1 year old and 3 year old. They were too young for the kids club, but we were told when checking in that there was a play room, that it opened at 6pm and we could leave them there while we had our meal. We went down at 18:30 after the kids meal to be told, that they can only take up to 4 children at a time and they only offer half hour slots and they had no slots left for that evening. So the next evening we booked them in for 7pm we were 10 mins late because it took over an hour for the kids diner to be served and the slots were given away.
We went to the pool on Saturday and there was a sign up to say the heating wasnt working in the pool and the water was cold. We went again on Sunday, there was no sign up and the water was freezing!!
We booked diner for Saturday night for the family gathering, we were told that they only had 9pm availabilty so we took it. We were told when ordering our meal that we had to order everything in one go as the kitchen was closing. At 10:30pm we were just starting our desserts and the staff started to hoover aroung us.
On Sunday morning the breakfast choices were very limited, had to wait a long time for hot food. There was obviously a probelm with the dishwasher as all the "clean" bowls were dirty. The staff were quite rude, you would ask them for a pot of tea and walk away without even acknowledgeing your request. So you didnt know if they heard you or not!
No WIFI working in the lobby
The rooms themselves were a bit grubby, not what you would expect for 200 euro a night, Two rooms in our group didnt even get their rooms cleaned on the Saturday!

Room Tip: Try a get a room on the fourth floor, there are no kids on this floor and it seems to be all new and...
Green Features: All they had was different coloured bins to segregate waste
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my partner for a weekend back in June. first impressions was, beautiful hotel in a quiet location. Swift check in by a pleasant girl on reception who give us a bright spacious room overlooking the water. We were very hungry so went straight to the bar for some food. There was lots to choose from and for bar food it was to a very high standard. We enjoyed the ambience of the bar and decided to stay for the music. Breakfast was lovely and served both hot and cold dishes. There is lots of things to do around Westport, especially if your into your outdoor pursuits. It is a lively town which was great but was nice to return to the hotel as it's not noisy. yes it's a family hotel but isn't that what holidays are all about. It's both refreshing & lovely to see a hotel that welcomes everyone. Everyone we met were enjoying their break at the hotel including us. We were very happy with this hotel, we normally stay at another hotel in Westport but will be making the Best Western our new choice of hotel break for when we holiday here. It ticks all the boxes.

• Stayed June 2014
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Both my partner & I have each stayed at the Best Western Westport Woods at different stages of our life (as a couple and as a family) and we could not recommend it enough!! I haev stayed at a few of the hotels around Westport and this ticks all the boxes not only for families but for Couples as well. I am more than surprised about some of the reviews that i have seen on this and would just like to give you my own experience. The Hotel like its name is nestled within a wooded area of Westport, behind it is the famous Westport house (our wee boy loved looking at the swan boats through the window from our room) which makes for lovely walks after dinner. Upon arrival we were greeted with the most friendliest receptionist who was very helpful from the onset. In fact all the staff were friendly and professional which is rare these days. I would just like to mention that this hotel has one of the best kids clubs that i have ever seen at any hotel, which makes your whole stay very enjoyable. Rooms were spacious and clean with all the usual amenities included. Food in the bar and restaurant were both excellent with a wide variety of food on offer. Breakfast was lovely also, with an array of food to choose from.This hotel above any other in Westport has a lot of Charm and most importantly it has an ATMOSPHERE. The entertainment in the bar usually a band has everyone singing and no one is a stranger here.
If your going to Westport, i highly recommend this hotel. Not only will you enjoy your stay but you will be looking to when you can return again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I know Best Western Hotels from the US and they were always good and clean, not this one in the west of Ireland. When we got there around 5.45pm the rooms were barely ready with cleaning personnel still running around and the dirty laundry still lying around in the hallways. The hotel has obviously a program for families and must be thus heavily frequented since there have been many with little kids running aroung. Therefore my room was very large, a family of 6 could have stayed there and the bathroom was rather large, too. But it seemed like everything was not really clean, the small bedcover stained, my white socks I wore when walking on the carpet ended up all gray and full of hair which was not from me so the carpet either needs better cleaning or being completely renewed. The whole hotel gives the impression it definitely might need renovation, it looks rather run down in many places - I guess that's why there are no photos on the hotel web site! Room doors are old-fashioned with keys that don't really fit, bedsheet had a hole in it, bath towels had loose threads hanging. I had looked forward to using the spa and pool after a long trip on the bus but that was impossible, filled with tons of kids. Dinner was okay though, staff was quick, wine and whiskey prices at hotel bar though more fit for classier places= overpriced! Quite a few stag and hen parties, too, which made quite some noise returning in the morning. Desk staff seemed in parts being overworked/ unable to cope, no help in finding the rooms which is necessary since the hotel is rather large, no friendly question about my satisfaction as a customer when I returned my key before leaving the next morning - so I would never ever go there again!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
HumanResoucesManager, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Mnlady56

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Constructive comments such as yours help us to exceed customers’ expectations.

I apologise that you did not find your hotel room very clean. As part of Best Western, we have a deep cleaning program in place, to help maintain the highest possible standards.

As you mention, family holidays are a very important part of our business at this time of the year. Our go!kids! club organise kids swimming in the mornings, but families with children may use the pool between 8am and 8pm daily.

I am sorry that you say you would never come here again, but if you do return to Westport, on a bus tour or individually again, please feel free to contact me directly and I will look after you.

Kind Regards
Michelle Walsh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We have a 3 and 5 year old, Signed them up at 5.30pm for the kids club which started at 7pm so we decided to have our first dinner (part of the deal) in the restaurant. TV3am reviewer had recommended this hotel as a really good "family" hotel.

The restaurant host was rude and too busy, before we ordered our "food" I noticed him barking instructions to the servers their duties while scratching his "balls", lovely! The servers noticed this also were laughing, I was laughing but also horrified and I was not going to be shaking his hand and hoping he wasn't help serve food!

I expected the kids menu to be good, as it was a family kids hotel. The kids ordered cheese pizza, what came was a half a 12" pizza clearly a frozen pizza with a slice of cheddar cheese melted on half of it. it was and looked awful!. The adult main courses were very poor also, something you would make quickly at home when using a jar, rice that was not cooked properly and chips *from frozen" not fully cooked.

So at 7pm I brought the kids down to the kids club, our 5 year old was delighted and my 3 year old was a bit apprehensive, but at 5.30pm registration the host of the kids club had mentioned that if the younger kids didn't like the main kids club they could go to the toddler room fall back, which was a great idea!. So I brought my 3 year old to the toddler room were I was told they were full and I would have to book for another night as they could only accommodate 4 kids at a time.

eventually after wiping away the tears and with a little coaxing my 3 year old joined the main club.

As this was all happening my wife was finishing her food and drink at our table in the restaurant. our booking was at 6pm and I returned back to her at 7.30pm, I met her in the lobby as the host had rudely come over to her and told her to finish her drink and leave as they had lots more bookings!
90 minutes is not a long time to have dinner in a restaurant! in her shock and utter annoyance at "ball scratcher" she had forgotten our room key, when I went to retrieve it he told me that when people leave their keys on the tables they are left at main reception. This was perfect I complained about the rudeness of the host "now called balls scratcher" and the lady was very apologetic. we had time for a quiet drink at the bar and to reflect on our first night.

The host had obviously been told of my complaint. As we were sitting at the hotel bar (which was busy) he approached us from behind the bar and was very apologetic and gave us a free drink, we felt awkward and accepted as a lot of guests were listening to the apology also.

The kids club was from 7-9pm and myself and my wife took it in turns to go down stairs to see if our kids were ok. as my wife went down she overheard the "ball scratcher" talking to the lady on reception and giving out about our complaint and she had felt that he clearly wasn't sorry. We are sure that he was talking about us because as she walked by them at reception he stopped talking but she heard enough.

Our children had a great time between lots of swims and a well run kids club they had a great time. but for the parents of the children I would not be back, there are lots of better hotels with similar kids clubs. Breakfast was a bit mad with the "pancake machine" breaking down.

Alan Lane

Dear Mr Lane,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. I am delighted that your children enjoyed the go!kids! club.

The toddler room is a HSE registered facility, with 1 qualified child care assistant supervising up to 4 toddlers at a time. As we know little ones don’t like to be away from their parents for too long, so the go!toddlers! room can be booked for 45 minute slots.

I apologise that you felt the restaurant host was rude. I have spoken to the restaurant team, to investigate your comments and no-one recalls him ‘scratching’ himself.

During peak season, we allocate 90 minutes for people to have dinner, this is due to the number of people looking to dine in the restaurant nightly. I am sorry that you felt this was not long enough, but am glad that the manager bought you a drink to make up in some small way.

This summer, we have introduced a pancake maker to our breakfast buffet, and have found it to be a huge success with children and parents alike. I am sorry it broke down during your stay.

I hope you will reconsider returning to us, and if you are in Westport again please feel free to contact me and I will look after you.

Kind Regards
Michelle Walsh

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Westport Woods Hotel? Share your experiences!