“Great place. Had a lot of fun.” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
You added Old Mill Holiday Hostel to your Saves list
Old Mill Holiday Hostel
Barrack Yard, James Street, Westport, Ireland   |
“Great place. Had a lot of fun.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the old mill a week or so ago and I left a pair of pants with my passport in them. I was very surprised to actually have it returned to me. Very honest place with a great location. I would recommend this hostel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

We were scammed out of 70 euro each for a nights stay in this hostel, They make you pay a 50 euro damage / behaviour deposit, When we returned from a night out they complained about us talking in our room and in the morning refused to give us back our deposit. We had to call the Gardai to negotiate half our money back. I would seriously recommend finding alternative accommodation in Wesport.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Old M, Manager at Old Mill Holiday Hostel, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
I'd like to make a few corrections to this review. This group booked in as two small groups with the intention of joining together on the night to form a large stag party. We do not take stag parties as a rule due to the disruption they usually cause and this group were no different. Even though they had signed a behaviour contract and (paid a behaviour deposit) that explicitly states that we do not tolerate noise after midnight and even though they were given three warnings during the night about noise they persisted with making noise all night long, disturbing a lot of other guests who made complaints about them the next morning. They also brought drink into the dorms and wrapped a plastic bag around the smoke detector to prevent the alarm going off as they smoked drugs all night long.

I called the Gardai as the group then tried to intimidate my staff into returning their behaviour deposit in the morning at checkout time. The Garda who came to the hostel agreed that I was within my rights to withhold the deposit. To end the matter quickly I agreed to give back half their deposit. The Garda asked the group to leave and then had to nearly arrest one member of the group for trying to steal hostel property and breaking the peace.

I do not agree that my actions in relation to this stag party was bad for tourism in Westport. There are lots of other tourists who visit Westport for lots of other reasons which do not revolve around binge drinking and reckless, mindless behaviour.

As is clearly stated in our hostel rules, our dorms are not a party venue but a place to rest and sleep. If you can not understand that concept then do not stay here.
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Very unhelpful and unaccommodating, wouldn't recommend at all, better of staying in a nice B&B.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

Clean, comfortable and welcoming hostel. I've stayed in plenty of hostel around the world. I've stayed at larger hostels than this one with lots more fancy facilities but the place is exactly what a hostel should be. I met plenty of other backpackers and the staff gave me more tourist info than the local tourist office, its located in the middle of westport town. If you haven't been to westport before, you should. Its beautiful and full of live music venues and great restaurants.

Stayed April 2012
Kolkata
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

This place ticks all the boxes, clean,comfortable, good kitchen, friendly staff, kind to the pocket and located in the centre of beautiful Westport.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Barcelona, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

If the Hostel was as nice as its staff, It would be a 10. The place needs serious cleaning and general fixing. Many things went wrong for us: heating was not working anywhere, room was mouldy (doors and carpet) and dirty (except linen), kitchen cleanness was missing, as well as it was for the showers.
It is a real shame that none of these work, because the building is beautiful and has all the potential to be a must place to stay.
People pay for a service and the Old Mill Hostel should update to the minimums required by common sense if they want to be a top accomodation option as it is advertised.

Room Tip: Have a look before paying!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
I'd just like to point out that we had a full house that particular night and this couple nearly begged us to let them stay here. We only had one room to offer them which we admitted on the night is not our best room and needed updating. In no way did we trick this couple to stay in that room or indeed the hostel that night as we had turned them away because we were full. They came back and against our better judgement we let them stay in this room which we only use as a last resort. We were very good to these people and this review is like a "kick in the teeth" for helping them. My
staff were very upset as this is not the review you would expect given the help and assistance that was given to them.
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Oohh so happy that Old Mill has a profile here, coz I know how useful to read some views about a place you want to visit. I have heard about this place from my friends they were fascinated about it and I have to say they were right. I have been there twice already but definitely will be back, just love that hostel! Lots of thing to do there in that lovely part of west Ireland with nice pubs good music and extremly beautiful people.

The place just awesome and has a soul!!! They had a full house at the first time I went there, but they just did the extra miles and sort out things to have me a bed somehow..which very not usual (and Im a well traveled girl with looots of experiences from all over the world)

You can feel the friendly atmosphere coz they welcome you very warmly. Still remember how lovely staff they have, nice, smiling, helpful and very chaty. Its a family business and you can sense how much they doing their best to make you feel cozy (receptionist gave me a hot bottle in last winter I wasnt even asking tho..)

Nice old building with clean beds and bathrooms and a kitchen to cook. (there was a French couple staying in the same dorm and they made a traditional french meal for us). If you want to have a SUPERFINE home made bread...make sure you get up early go dawn slice of it (2nd morning I've missed it, but the lovely receptionist gave me a receipt:P) Guess they have a website now, you can check out and see some photos too..

Long story in short, if you are in Ireland you have to visit westport and stay in Old Mill Holiday Hostel,if its a peak season make sure to have a booking tho...and have a guinness for me plz:) Cheeers:)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to Old Mill Holiday Hostel? Share your experiences!