“Wonderful weekend in Westport!” 4 of 5 stars

Woodside Lodge
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Golf Course Road, Westport, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 64 Westport B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Wonderful weekend in Westport!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Spent 2 nights in the Woodside Lodge. Had a great stay - there were 4 of us sharing in a room with a double & 2 singles and there was plenty room... Location was excellent & our hosts couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Breakfast was delicious both mornings... Beautiful part of the country & will be back! Thank you Patrice & Helen...

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Woodside Lodge for one night in September. We were greeted by the friendly host who gave us a brief overview of the common areas/breakfast schedule. He also provided a map and dinner/sightseeing recommendations. Upon being shown the room, the accommodations appeared somewhat basic, but looked OK overall. Once we started to settle in a little bit more, I noticed there were some areas that were lacking in cleanliness - mugs provided were stained or dirty and the bathroom could have used a little more attention (dusty, some mildew in shower). My husband typically can sleep anywhere, but found the mattress to be very uncomfortable, especially after the 2-hour pony trek we had done earlier in the day. What concerned me most was a musty stench coming from my side of the bed. After much searching, I could not determine where the smell was coming from, which did not provide for a good night's sleep. It smelled like an old towel was under the bed, but there was no way it could be under the bed, as there was just a stained, uncovered box spring set on the floor, with no bed frame.

To be fair, I did not complain about the condition of the room as we had planned to be out for most of the evening and would leave after breakfast. Overall, the hosts seemed to be nice, but I did not enjoy our stay. Presentation and the impression of cleanliness are very important, and I felt that Woodside Lodge was lacking. I don't usually expect perfection in my accommodations, but the stench in our room was very disturbing to me. Had I not prepaid for the room, I would have left and stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Turin, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Went here after the rave reviews on TA. As a family of 5, we were split into two rooms, which was OK except for the fact that one of them really did not seem like it was up to standard (little ventilation, paper thin curtains, view onto yard & kitchen, tired fixtures and fittings ...). Both evenings I advised what time we would go for breakfast to be told "no problem, come whenever you are ready" ; the first morning we had to wait 20 mins for a table, the second 45 mins without any apology. Not impressed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed for two nights in Woodside Lodge with my daughter in August. They were very welcoming to us on arrival. My daughter had to get up very early about 6 am in the morning as she was playing golf in Westport Golf Club, so they gave us the use of the kitchen for her early start and little touches like that make all the difference. I was able to enjoy their breakfast and you have got to have the scrambled egg and smoked salmon its the best breakfast I have had. I also noticed how helpful they were with all the guests. I will be going back for sure and bringing the rest of the family with me. It is very well located and you can walk to Westport town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Flagstaff, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was one of the two B&B's that my father and my fiancé and I stayed at during our travels through Westport. The owners Patrice and Helen are the most welcoming and helpful people you will come across without being intrusive in any way. The rooms are charming, clean, and comfortable. The lodge is located in a beautiful area close to town. They provide a a huge TV and a computer for guests to use and the breakfast was absolutely amazing. My fiancé couldn't get enough of it. One of the main reasons I wanted to write a review was how helpful Patrice and Helen were. We had just finished a week long trip of hiking through the mountains and the bog and our clothes were gross. It was hard to find a place to do laundry and we still had a week of traveling left in Ireland. Patrice and Helen offered to do some of our laundry. It came back in no time, clean and dry and they didn't accept any compensation. I was amazed by the hospitality. Also my fiancé and I spoke with Patrice about possibly spending our honeymoon in France. He is from there and he gave us some great ideas about where to go and was incredibly nice. If we go back to Westport in the future, the Woodside Lodge will most definitely be at the top of our list of places to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Derry, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Helen and Patrice at Woodside Lodge made my overnight stay in Westport a delight. Not only were they kind enough to allow me to check in a bit early, allowing me ample time to hike Croagh Patrick and still get in a pint at Matt Molloy's (a short walk away), but also, when I returned and asked for the wi-fi code, Helen and Patrice invited me in to their kitchen for a drink or two and some conversation with their friends. The room was quite lovely, with one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever slept on, and the shower proved to be excellent with plenty of hot water. Their wi-fi was quite strong, which enabled me to upload pictures and call folks via v.o.i.p. on my iPhone. In the morning, Helen made some delicious bacon and eggs. The eggs were light and fluffy and creamy and hit the spot. I noticed that they also provided a large and spacious tv room with a large screen tv for anyone who wanted to watch, but I was more focused on other things. All in all, I would return, not just for the wonderful accommodations, but specifically for the warm welcome I received... even so much as to put up with someone like me, who can "argue like a Jesuit" in a kind and friendly way.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I chose this B&B strictly from Trip Advisor recommendations. Normally, I do not stay at B&Bs as I prefer unlimited access, independence and real comfort with little "froo-froo" (i.e. fussy details). But I decided to "take a chance" on Woodside Lodge and am thrilled that I did!

The common areas are spacious with natural woods and minimalist in style. A computer is provided for guest use. My room - on the second floor - was roomy with a huge window. Though the house is close to the road all I could see were the tree tops!! The room had a small, tidy bathroom with a shower. And the bed was - bar none - the BEST rest I experienced in my two week stay in Ireland! Owners Helen and Patrick were helpful but not intrusive. And the breakfast - by menu - was the best ever with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon along with Patrick's homemade scones! I did not want to leave!! And, certainly will return.

Just a added note - if you love late nights with plenty of Guinness then B&Bs may not be a good choice as you will intrude on other guests - as the houses are typically small. However, if it's rest, peace and a scrumptious breakfast you want ... then Woodside Lodge is a FABULOUS choice!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Woodside Lodge? Share your experiences!