“easter break” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Westport
belfast
“easter break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

got a great deal for two day break at this hotel, 5km from westport town but straight road into town, rooms were very good, with flat screen tv etc, excellent big bed,bathroom, tea and coffee etc,,
had sunday lunch in bar and was excellent,plus very good value, and staff were very attentive.
Hotel has golf course but was closed at time of visit, overall a good hotel for touring around the local scenery and attractions but no leisure centre/pool so maybe not as attractive for families

Room Tip: rooms at front have great views of surrounding mountains,but hotel was very quiet at night so no pro...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
lurgan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed two nights, 16th and 17th April. Hotel outside town so you to some extent are a captive audience.Reception and bar staff friendly and helpful.Spacious room amd bathroom. Ate in bar one night and got a taxi to Mangoes where we had an excellent meal. It was refreshing not to have a cooked buffet breakfast.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Offaly
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We stayed in this terrible place in the last weekend in March 2012. We had a voucher valued at 170euro for one nights bed & Breakfast and evening meal which was a Christmas gift. We do not know how much it cost but 7euro would have been to much to pay.I had a bad feeling about this place when I tried to book a time for our evening meal but was told there was no need to book it. When we arrived this feeling was compounded by the sight of weeds growing around the door and on the paths around the front.Got to the room to find dampness around the bottom of the walls outside the bathroom which had a very strong smell of bleach coming from it.The bleach was suppose to kill the smell of the damp from the bathroom but it did nothing to cover the black mould on the wall tiles. The evening meal was served in the bar where a menu was produced which had a very very bad selection it was an insult at the cost.It later came to light why the evening meal was in the bar there was a party in the restaurant and where was our room directly over the party room imagine sitting in a room vibrating from the noise and no response from reception five times. This went on until 01:50 in the morning and then another hours noise from the racket outside the window 03;00 in the morning when one got some silence in a place which is marketed as a tranquil setting for a relaxing stay. Don't be fooled this place is run by a bunch of liars out to take peoples money.This was confirmed the next morning when we looked for the manager and asked for their registration number so that I could report this type of service to Board Failte. I was told it would take ten minutes to find it on the system when I questioned why it was not on a notice with the tariffs on the back of the door in the room she then decided to stop lying and come clean and admit the hotel was not registered. If we were fools enough to stand and wait for ten minutes she thought this would be ok or was she hoping we would just leave. when asked what would make us happy I suggested that she take all her staff for a stay in the Castle Court and learn how a hotel should be run. I said I was not in a fit state to suggest what could be done to make up for the upset we endured the manager then took our details and said she would contact us in a few days with a proposal to make up for the upset it is now just a month later and this lying individual still has not made any contact. This is the type of establishment which only serves to give hotels a bad name the sooner it closes it''s doors the better I will now see what I can do to speed this up. I have stayed in many hotels over the years and this wins the title of the worst ever by the longest shot you could imagine.Take my advise stay well clear and tell your friends. I have never in my life wrote a review like this I never had the need.The rating above is terrible only because there is no lesser option.

Room Tip: Sleeping in a tent is a better option than staying in this dump.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
WestportCountryLodge, General Manager at Westport Country Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Dear John W,

I want to apologise again for the fact that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
In response to your comment, firstly, the reason we don't normally take bookings for dinner is because we are a 21 bedroom hotel. We have enough staff and space to accomodate this, unless there is a party dining with us, and then, yes, we do of course take bookings from our guests.
As far as the upkeep of our grounds, our gardner has done a spring clean. We don't not use the pitch and putt during the winter months, so the grounds are not maintained as often as in the summer.
I'm sorry that you thought your room smelled of bleach. To my knowledge we have never had that complaint from any guests staying in that room or any room for that matter. The housekeeping staff do a very thorough job to make sure the rooms are sanitised and spotless. As far as the mould in that room, there was a minor leak previously. We had that taken care of the next day and it is back to perfect condition.
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the food selection. We get so many compliments on our food, that we like to keep the choices on the menu that the guests most enjoy.
When it comes to the noise that you had to endure on one of the evenings, I do sincerely apologise. It does not happen that often, but sometimes we do get a party for one of our locals. It was a surprise 60th Bday, and got a lot more noisy than we expected. That is why the next day I asked you repeatedly what we could do to make up for your sleepless night. After saying some not so kind words, you asked for our registration number. Now, the previous manager was the one that started the application for our registration. The receptionist thought that we might have gotten a number from them at the beginning. That is why we waited to see if that was the case. As she couldn't find it, I said I spoke to the registration office a week prior to finalise the application. So obviously if we didn't have it yet, we should be receiving it shortly. We are registered with Failte Ireland as a 3 star hotel.
The receptionist did up an inncident report after your checkout to record everything that happened, and in fact, you only wanted me to contact you when I had the registration number. I spoke to Tams last week, as we are still waiting for that number. Please contact me at the hotel if you think I am misleading you, as I can give you the number of a woman to speak to at the registration office. I did not think you wanted anything from the hotel as I had repeatedly asked you what I could do to make up for your stay, offering free night accomodation or a voucher. You declined, and said you were going to do whatever you could to shut us down. I am very sorry that you have such strong, negative feelings toward our hotel, especially when we have had such positive feedback from previous guests. Again, if you wish to contact me, I will gladly try to come to some agreement with yourselves.
My sincere apologies,

Kristyn Rose
Celbridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My family & I stayed in this hotel over the Easter break. It is a beautiful location and the hotel itself is very comfortable. Our room was spotless as was the hotel in general. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff, one waitress in particular (Sive), went out of her way to provide us with information on local acticities for the children, they were all very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. The food was excellent, the sirloin steak is a must! Enjoyed our stay so much we have already booked again for during the summer.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Cork, Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

hotel bit outside town, very badly signposted, not easy to find. room big, comfortable & clean. downstairs lacks atmosphere, no curtains or blinds on windows in public areas. grass had been cut but not collected which make the garden a bit unkempt looking, some outside lights not working

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Hotel was decent enough. Staff were ok. Food in the restaurant was decent, annoying that there was no cocktail list. Idiot people shouting at the top of their voices and going in and out of each others rooms at 5am ruined it. Westport a bit smaller than I expected but worth a visit.

• Stayed April 2012
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

After purchasing a voucher on Groupon for 2 nights at this hotel I wondered if the price was too good to be true but in this case it really was a brilliant offer for as super hotel.

This hotel is modern and friendly. The rooms are spacious, beautifully decorated and very clean. Our room was at the front of the hotel and the peaceful country setting was lovely.

There was a great atmosphere in the hotel bar with a good mix of locals and guests. We ate in the bar on the first night and enjoyed our meal and found the staff in reception and in the bar very helpful and friendly.

My only criticism would be, whilst the breakfast was cooked fresh and was nice there wasn’t a great opportunity to make healthy choices with limited cereals and fruit.

Nevertheless I have already recommended this hotel to family and friends and will most definitely consider returning.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Westport Country Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!