“Great staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Castlebar
Galway, Ireland
“Great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I must say other reviews about this hotel are very negative which partly I would agree with but the activities for children do not disappoint they are very well run!!
My middle child has mild autism and the girls at the club where so good with him. Unfortunately he did not like leaving the breakfast area to go to the art and craft room and ran away on the staff. The staff member (Alana I think) called me to where he was in the pool area as he refused to move. I had booked my youngest into the smaller room for a spa appointment within 15 minutes when I told the girl I would cancel it and take him she said instead of cancelling my rest and relaxation time for me to accompany her over to the room and try to settle him 1st. Although they where obviously busy that day she took the time with him and he settled. so happily for me I got my facial and massage!!
from a parent with a child with additional needs I have never seen such patients and kindness, he was treated as any other child whilst accommodating for his additional needs. Without leaving out my eldest and youngest child who also raved about the activities.
The main criticism I would have however would be not having wifi available in the room is quite an annoyance and there would need to be more control of children after the disco as they where running up and down corridors waking everyone up at all hour's. Finally I have read other reviews about the poor quality of food and obviously management aren't listening but it is what is at the end of the day and Castlebar has lots of nice places to eat on offer.
However saying that we will defiantly be making another visit just maybe miss out on the dinner!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed at Breaffy House for a family weekend. Staff very helpful and friendly. Food good. Very good hotel for family breaks. Would stay again.
Good location for touring. We also visited Westport and Achill Island while we stayed at this hotel

Room Tip: We had a room with patio door to rear of hotel. No windows, just patio door. As we were on the groun...
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We recently stayed at your hotel in the Breaffy Wood and unfortunately we were less than impressed by your hotel or facilities.
We arrived on the Monday 15 July at about 3 o Clock and firstly we were told that one of the rooms was not ready. This was fine as we could wait no problem. But when we were given our keys and went to our rooms after being told they were ready a different room than the one we were waiting for was being serviced still. My own room had brown marks all down the wardrobe doors. I asked a member of cleaning staff to look at it for me and she looked at me as if I had ten heads and stared around the room after my wife telling her it was the wardrobe.
We then went down to your swimming pool after getting the children ready in their togs to be told that we had a wait of between 10 minutes to an hour. After having got the kids ready for swimming I decided to wait.
After our swim we went back to our rooms for a shower. My two children were in the room with my mother-in-law and my youngest daughter got in to the shower first. The knob that controls the temperature was not working as she was in with a low temperature but the knob crept up higher and higher and she started screaming that it was so hot. We took her out. My mother-in-law rang reception to ask could this be fixed and was told there would be somebody up immediately. An hour and a half later my wife went down to reception and the receptionist said the maintenance man had left for dinner but she would ring him to come back. A half hour later a barman arrived at the room with fresh towels and he hadn’t a clue even how to use the shower let alone Fix it! He then told us the maintenance man would be up at 8:30 in the morning.
We got ready to go down for a meal in the bar. We found a table and gave in our order. The food arrived but the chips were raw.
On all occasions we ordered chips on our stay we found them to be under-cooked. On one occasion we asked for a pizza at 10:05pm to be told they stop serving at 10pm I realize the cut off point is 10pm but a little bit of leighway wouldn’t go astray especially after the chips having being sent back and the kids were hungry.
Meanwhile back to the calamity of the shower. Next morning there was still no sign of a maintenance man so the people in that room had to go to the two other rooms to shower that morning. We then went off for the day thinking that it would be fixed by the time we got back. When we came back we went swimming this time there was no waiting but we were told that we would have to get out in an hour... We went back to our rooms to shower after swimming to find the shower was still not fixed so my wife went down to reception again. A different receptionist was on and she told my wife there was no record of any complaint put in about the shower. She rang the maintenance man to go to the room and have a look at the shower. So he came up and tried to fix it. But it still was not fixed properly.
The entertainment for the kids was excellent but unfortunately any entertainment for adults seemed to be non existant. We were told there might be a guitarist or a singer of some sort in the house hotel. But when we went over there, there was no room in the inn to pardon the pun. The room was far too small to accommodate people from two hotels. Even if there was to be a cd played in the wood’s bar it might be of some use. We were told that the Woods hotel was a children’s hotel and it was expected that the children would be going to bed early so there was no entertainment after nine in that bar.
I have never ever heard of this in any of the hotels I have stayed in previously.

Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Great hotel for a family stay, we stayed in a family room with 3 kids and two adults , the room was grand but had no air conditioning which made it very stuffy at night. The hotel was fine in a nice area and an easy driving distance to Westport town and Achill Island.
We had dinner in the hotel on one night and to be honest it was like a meal you would get in a factory canteen . I sent my chicken back as I felt it wasn't cooked the Lady in the restaurant was lovely . She returned it and advised the chef said it was done according to his food termonitor but I would serve it to anyone like that. I suppose the bottom line it the food is not up to standard for a hotel,it was either under cooked or overcooked and the breakfast was the same.
I really feel that if the hotel took on board the comments make on its food ( there are more who feel the same)it would be a very very good hotel

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed here on a midweek break. 3BB and 1D.
The Positives: The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The room was spotless. The breakfasts were fine. Plenty of everything. The kids club was great for our child.

The Negatives:The corridors reeked of dampness. There was strong smell of "Shake and Vac" in the lift. Children were allowed run wild well after 10:30pm. The pool could do with a face lift

Room Tip: Try get a room on the second floor
Derry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We booked the 3 night family deal and stayed in July. We were given a room on the ground floor - cleanliness could be improved (all handles inside sticky) and corridor smelt of damp / wet carpet, only a few of the corridor lights worked so made it very dark in the evenings/night. As you're on the ground floor overlooking the carpark and main entrance, you have no privacy at all with people walking past, the room above also had a patio door which the occupants used for smoking and kindly dropped their cigarette butts infront of our door. There was no information leaflets etc in the room at all and given that the rooms had a small kitchen, no tea towels / dish clothes were provided. The carpark to the left of the entrance to "The Residences" had a skip parked - full of rubbish and a broken bed,not a welcoming sight! The furniture is in bad need of replacement - very few of the drawers would actually open and most were badly damaged, the duvet covers were also badly ripped. Dinner in Legends restaurant had the potential to be appetising but unfortunately the dishes were drenched in whatever sauce came with the main. On the 2nd evening we paid the €7.50 supplement for the steak dinner and it was delicious. The pool area was well maintained and the pool itself was good and popular with the guests. Overall the grounds were ok - these and the hotel itself need some attention and a general tidy up, all the staff we came in contact with were friendly and helpful.
With a little bit of effort the hotel could be really good and it was a pity to see a potentially lovely hotel being neglected.

Room Tip: Don't have a ground floor room!
Derry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed here in July 2013. Two adults and two children. The hotel is really good for families. The breakfast was good (didn't need to eat lunch most days due to such a good breakfast) and the evening menu was fine. The facilities are great for families, e.g. family changing room for the swimming pool. We didn't use the kids club, but heard good reports from other parents. The staff were helpful. Would recommend this hotel to any family with children under 10.

Room Tip: The complex is made up of two hotels. If you want a quieter time, ask to stay in the Breaffy House...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Breaffy Woods Hotel? Share your experiences!