“Spiders” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Castlebar
Philadelphia, PA
“Spiders”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just returned from Ireland on a Group Trip. McWilliam Hotel was originally our destination, but this hotel was not available. We were "Bumped" to this Hole in the Wall. As you entered your room it smelled of Beer. There were stains on the floor, a urine smell in the bed and spider webs throughout the room. I was bitten twice at night from the spiders in this room. I have to tell you that I never have been bitten by anything on a vacation. This is a first. This hotel was associated with a Castle up the hill. The only thing I can say about this hotel is that the breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Dirty Hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Such a shame nice hotel that is very clean and really quite nice, however the room was really very hot and on the small side.

Breakfast was a free for all and really on the second morning we did not bother as it would have been at least 30 minutes to get a table and some tempers with other guests were getting frayed so we left it!

Sort out some air con in the rooms and have a better system for meal times and it will be fine!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Limerick, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My overall impression of the hotel after staying here during the summer is very poor. The following is a list of what I viewed as the positives and negatives.

Positives:
Clean hotel. Rooms were well kept as was the swimming pool.
Child Friendly. Plenty of activities provided to entertain kids.
Good location. Only two minutes drive from Castlebar.

Negatives:
Very poor service. I had booked a four-bed. Upon arrive we were shown to a three bed. I reported this and was initially told that they had nothing else available. Eventually we were moved to another room that was identical to the original and just had a fourth bed squeezed into the corner. I was told the larger bedrooms (their normal four-beds) were not available.

The phone in our room would not work. Nor would the remote for the TV. We reported this a couple of times during our stay but no effort was made to do anything about this.

The breakfast/dinner room was too small accommodate the number of guests. We had to queue each morning for breakfast and had to wait 20 minutes one morning to obtain a table. Also it is probably worth mentioning that each time we went to the pool we had to queue for at least 10 minutes to get in.

This is a kids only hotel. I would strongly suggest not staying there if you don't have kids. It is very noisy. The level of noise at breakfast is incredible. If you are looking for somewhere quite don't go to this hotel.

The room we stayed in was very hot with no means to control the temperature. This coupled with the level of noise coming from the corridor and the adjacent rooms (kids running and shouting until the early hours of the morning) led to a very disruptive nights stay.

I definitely would not recommend this hotel.

Newry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

went here for a 3 nights break with kids and other families. Kids had a ball, great facilities - the only complaint they had was that there were no flood lights at the astro turf pitch so that they could play on a while longer when the sun went down! Great food, friendly staff, will be back!

Ballylooby, Tipperary, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Quick summarize:

*location*
+ nice quiet place, very little traffic
- closest town at least five minutes by car,
- no shops around, if you want drink or snack only vending machine

*entertainment*
+ excellent, loads of fun for kids, well organize kids club
+ swimming pool are good,

*accommodation*
+ nice spacious room
- NO air condition, which was absolutely disaster, cant sleep during night time, request portable fan from reception three times but didn't get

*food*
+ breakfast and dinner are very good quality and tasty
- restaurant overload during breakfast
- bar menu and restaurant menu are same,

*overall*
+ positive feedback, nice holiday, 4/5
- no air condition, very warm in the room make impossible to relax,

Room Tip: Wi-Fi avaible only at reception area, however room 3041 which is located above main entrance have so...
donegal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Don't often write reviews, but just had to come on and say what a fab time we had at this Hotel, now if your a couple it may not be the place for you but if you have kids you won't find better value. Just back from a 3 night stay with the hubby & 7 year old daughter, the kids facilities are just great, my daughter was collected from our room every morning at 9am & taken for breakfast & then on to the kids club which runs till 12, it was great that we could enjoy a leisurly breakfast which filled us up for the day, we didn't avail of the evening kids entertainment as we were out late, but its there & seemed like the kids were having a great time. Could not fault the room, clean & comfy with new towels etc every day. Being water phobic the pool wasen't for me, but my 7 year old LOVED it, parents can go pool side to keep an eye, but with 4 lifeguards there they were very safe. We will definitly be going back.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cavan, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My sister and I took my Mother here for her 87th birthday. When we booked we inquired as to if this place was wheelchair friendly. We arrived and booked in. We were told to take the lift to our room. We found when we got to the lift that it was not working. We proceeded to report this to the receptionest and a manageress and strangely neither one seemed to notice that the wheelchair could bearly fit in the lift. We started the task of finding our room, it could not be found anywhere. We took several trips in the lift, it even got to the stage that other residents were helping us find our room to no avail. Eventually I decided to find some help. I made my way back to reception and found the manageress who informed me that our room was just one side of reception on the ground floor. No need to take the lift at all. I rang my sister and explained that I had found the room and to meet me in reception. My sister and my Mother found that the lift only comes down as far as the spa but not to reception. I found another member of staff and asked if he could find some way of getting my mother and sister to reception, he was busy with a wedding but he assured me that he would send a porter to help. Finally after another 20 minutes a porter came but was no help. They had to go down steps with the chair but the porter never offered any help to lift the chair down steps This place looks fine from the outside although the gardens could do with some colour. The inside is grubby and needs a good makeover. More like Faulty Towers in my opinion, will not be returning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Breaffy Woods Hotel? Share your experiences!