“Rua Loves Italy” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Galway, Ireland
“Rua Loves Italy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We were in Castlebar recently and looking for a nice bite to eat to start the night out. Fortunately one of my mates had already booked us a table for this busy Friday night spot and what a treat it turned out to be. Unbelievable...can't say enough good about this place. They were doing a special menu for the evening - cool idea - Italian dishes with Irish ingredients. Everyone in the group found something they LOVED on the menu, even the crazy vegetarian in the group. I had the pleasure of sinking into a medium rare rib eye steak with this oregano/garlicky butter that you would want to take a bath in - it was that good (sorry vegetarian friend!). i can't lie though, i found myself jealous of the vegetarian friend who was loving the risotto (perfectly cooked by the way) with asparagus and gorgonzola....well done chef!

the dessert was ridiculously good but after the bar was set so high between the starter and main, that wasn't a huge surprise - everything here was THAT good...you can tell everything is made by hand with a lot of love...

we were also really impressed with the selection of wines they had... very diverse in collection, we found something in there for everyone at the table...

the servers were so friendly - they all took care of you like you were in their own home for a meal...so much better than the usual where they love you and leave you - if you needed something from this crew, it was almost like they had it done before you asked...

a place like this is very unique - all the stuff they cook with, they also sell at a different location in town (mental note - must visit)...can't imagine living in a town with TWO of these places...will definitely be making the trip back...

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
CafeRua, Owner at Cafe Rua, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
BBrowne 32. Thank you for such kind words about your experience with us for our Italian night. All the team here are thrilled you enjoyed your evening with us so much.

Galway, Ireland
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Was in for lunch a couple of weeks back and had the goats cheese salad which was deliciousl. Very friendly service, will be back when I'm in Castlebar again!

• Visited May 2014
New York City, New York
“always good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I regularly eat here with my family and, whether we're having just tea and coffee or full lunch, it never disappoints. The staff are well informed, friendly and efficient. Hands down, it's the best place for lunch in Castlebar - highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
CafeRua, Owner at Cafe Rua, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write a review - make sure to stop by next time you visit from NYC!
cork
“A real treat.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my husband where visiting Mayo from cork. We came across cafe rua and it turned into one of our highlights on our trip.
The food was fresh and beautifully presented. The atmosphere was warm and the service excellent. I really enjoyed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
CafeRua, Owner at Cafe Rua, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to share your positive experience - Hope you can make it back next time youre visiting from Cork!
Foxford, Ireland
“Attitude at a price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

We had the vegetarian Breakfast for 2 and I have to say that it was good. The waitress asked if we wanted orange juice after taking our order so we did. I also had a coffee. The bill came to over €24!! I was stunned, the small glasses of orange juice were €3.50 each!! Upon leaving I met two staff members and said that I thought it was very expensive for juice. The staff member/manager informed me that "the juice is homemade" which I've never heard of. I think she meant freshly squeezed, which I know it was not. I informed her that I am a chef and I still thought the juice was way too expensive. She promptly ignored me. I felt so ripped of and disgusted that she made no effort with understanding my point. We paid €9.20 for 2 small juices and an americano. So the waitresses were very nice upstairs but the other staff were rude and full of attitude. Watch your wallet!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere