“Nine nights in Drogheda” 5 of 5 stars

Westcourt Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West Street, Drogheda 041, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Drogheda
Murrumba Downs, Australia
“Nine nights in Drogheda”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

On holiday from Australia while visiting friends in Ireland last month I stayed at The Westcourt for 9 nights. All the hotel staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for me. All you had to do was ask. The hotel bar was a great place to catch up with friends, served lovely lunches and had a very warm welcoming ambiance with attentive friendly waiters/waitresses. It seemed to be a favourite haunt for locals also. (Special thanks to Donna for looking after me while I was there.)
I do recommend the bar, the restaurant required reservations but I preferred the food and atmosphere of the bar. (family orientated during the day)
I think I stayed so long I was treated extra well by all the folks at the Westcourt.
Bed was comfy, bathroom clean and just the right size- power shower was lovely, room cleaned daily by friendly but not intrusive housekeeping. The nights of Friday and Saturday had a dance club downstairs, the sound of which wasn't too bad from my room (203), they did supply ear plugs if you were bothered by it. I noticed it stopped by 3am, probably earlier but I had no trouble falling asleep (without ear plugs) regardless. No lift, but staff helped with bags. The hotel is centrally located in Drogheda and was a good place to stay..about 40 minutes from Dublin airport as my friend drove. Drogheda is a friendly town and I totally recommend it, as I do this hotel.

Room Tip: Top floor to escape night club noise Friday and Saturday nights. Lower floor if stairs are a bother...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Ballybrack, Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Our room was slightly dated, but thats me being picky, the decor in the hotel itself is lovely, halls a little shabby or possibly dated again is a better word. The bathroom was fantastic, huge bath. Wouldn't get better in a 4star to be honest. Location is great, had no problem allowing us to check out at 2oc.

Lovely place

Room Tip: Breakfast Right across the street, big cafe, SUPERB!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have eaten here several times with family and have found both the food and the staff to be excellent in all respects. The food is presented extremely well & it tastes fantastic! Also priced quite reasonably!!

Tip - have a chat to the barman in the restaurant about after dinner cocktails, he was very friendly to us and entertained us with some nice banter

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Meath, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Surprisingly for this older hotel, I got a great room, large bedroom and revamped bathroom, very nice. Everything I needed.

Receptionist was very nice on check in, friendly & efficient and gave me two complimentary passes for the night club.

Didn't use car park as it was Sunday and got street parking, but it seemed like a big ordeal to be let in. Big downside was noise, I had a street facing room and as it was a bank holiday the noise went on from 2am to 4am, PVC windows very badly made, no sound insulation, disappointing .

Apart from that it's a great location , town centre great rooms and friendly service. Would recommend if you are going out on town, much friendlier than the scruffy D Hotel nearby.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed at the Westcourt Hotel for a long weekend in September, with several friends and family members. The staff were absolutely fantastic! They pulled out all the stops to ensure our stay was enjoyable. Breakfast each morning was truly lovely, with wonderful fresh local produce and gorgeous wheaten bread. Their breakfast room also doubles as their restaurant and is very conducive to good conversation, with lovely lighting.
Our bedroom had been recently refurbished, and was very comfortable. The bathroom was lovely, incorporating a wet room type shower.
The only thing I would say is that given the central location of this hotel it is advisable to wear ear plugs to assist sleep, as the noise levels from the street can be problematic.
We had lunch in the hotel on three occasions, and were not disappointed. Their foyer is very comfortable and lots of us gathered there in the evenings to enjoy a few convivial drinks and some good conversation.
I look forward to my next trip there!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here July with husband and daughter as was near funtasia. Photos on internet r not what u find in hotel.reception is lovely but we had to wait ages there for car park to b opened.while waiting I asked the time of last booking in resterant and was told 9.30,my husband came back from parking car after around 30 mins and we took to flights of stairs to our room.we draged our own cases as no help was offered.disappointment is an understatement when I went into room.a double bed and a single in a small room only fit for 1 single. The carpet was badly stained and had fag burns on it.bathroom was nice size but toilet did not flush so we had to keep going back in to reflush.the fact that the window in bathroom r bedroom not opening did not help.room was only cleaned once on our 3 nite stay.each day I had to ask for teabags and other stuff to b put into room.also toilet roll.we headed to funtasia and had a great time arriving back at hotel 7.45 to book table for 8.45.we were rudley told last orders were at 8.30.I pointed out that we were told half 9 on arrival an I went back to reception and had words over it.we got our table and 1 good thing about this hotel is the food.its food of a 5 star hotel.service was good and the barman was top class at his job.he only went out of his way making cocktails for my 8 year old daughter.all soft drinks of course.but a lass that's the only good her is the barman and the food.would not stay again got no sleep an we thought the people in room above us would end up beside us in the beds with the noise of floor boards.

Room Tip: Just don't go here if u can avoid it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

we choose this hotel for it's location and car park - arriving 8pm on a Sat night seemed to create problems re getting us access to the car park. receptionist very pleasant but it took a good 15 minutes to get someone to finally get keys to unlock the padlock - while hubby waited on no parking main road!! the hotel is an older building and has charm and decor accordingly. No lift and 3 floors but staff offered to carry bags if needed. complimentary ear plugs are offered to guests to help if they are bothered by the noise of the nightclub ( it was only open on the night of our arrival - we left on the Tues ) and we weren't bothered by it at all. Town centre hotels are often affected by noise but this is unavoidable. Had a meal for 15 people in the hotel restaurant on Sunday evening which was delicious - excellent service and food. unfortunately
we were not able to get a drink at end of meal as bar closed at 11pm. we were advised that we would be able to get a drink in the reception area from the night porter - this was true but he didn't seem keen - even though we explained that it was just while some of our family waited for their lift home , the following night (after hubby and i returned to hotel long after midnight) a different night porter could not have been more accommodating even providing snacks without being asked. receptionist apologised for our unhappy end to such a great meal on the Sunday and promised to report our comments re him and his colleague who has a better customer service understanding to senior management.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Barry C, Manager at Westcourt Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear EBTD

Thank you for your recent visit and review of The Westcourt Hotel.
Apologies for the lengthy time it took to park your car, we have addressed this matter with the front office team, and the car park will be opened more promptly for future guests. As we are located in the town center, the car park must be locked after 6pm to secure guest’s cars and this can sometimes cause delays for guests parking. I am delighted that you enjoyed West29; I have passed your comments onto the West29 team, and I have also addressed the issues with bar service. I hope when you are in Drogheda again, you will visit The Westcourt Hotel.

Best regards,
-Barry Carter

Been to Westcourt Hotel? Share your experiences!