“Exceptionally helpful” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Drogheda
Belfast
“Exceptionally helpful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

The first time that I stayed in the Boyne Valley Hotel was almost 3 years ago and I stayed there for a couple of nights almost on a weekly basis for one year. On my very first trip, travelling from Belfast, I ran out of petrol about 5 miles from the hotel. I phoned the hotel and the manager tried to get a taxi to bring me petrol. As this wasn't possible, he got some petrol and came to rescue me. I was so grateful. The hotel itself is old, with character. I have stayed there countless times over the last few years on business trips. Normally I stayed in the refurbished wing, which is very comfortable, warm and pleasant. The food was good, especially the steak and smoked salmon. I returned to the Boyne Valley a few days ago, after almost 2 years and was delighted to stay that I recognised some of the staff. My check in and out were both delivered by friendly, warm staff. Deirdre on reception was her usual welcoming self the following morning and even drew me a map to show me to my work location. As usual, my porridge made on milk was perfect. On my return home, I realised that I had forgotten one of my belongings. Karen promptly returned my email and offered to post it on to me. I cannot fault the service I received in the Boyne Valley and thank the staff for their warmth and helpfulness.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Mn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

There is a lack of hotels and B&B's in the area. We choose a Best Western which was nice but the parking lot was extremely dark due to lack of adequate lighting. Our rental car was broken into and everything was taken!
It was a disappointing end to an otherwise lovely trip!
Sandy

Bristol, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

My husband and I made reservations with this hotel at the last minute via telephone. Once we arrived, we were struck by how beautiful the property was. There is a winding, tree-lined avenue from the main road. The room was large and comfortable with a lovely bathroom that looked spotless at first glance (but had a little mildew the maids have been missing for a while, upon closer review). The location of the property was convenient and quiet which we very much needed after a long flight and a morning of shopping and sight-seeing.
When we checked in, which was relatively early, the hotel was preparing for a wedding and hosting a 50 year anniversary party. They handled all of this activity very well with little effect on the other guests but it made the bar rather crowded when they all seemed to spill over. We had requested a non-smoking room and had no issues with receiving this. Apparently the wing we were in was all non-smoking since there were doors separating it from other parts of the hotel and signs posted.
The breakfast was buffet style with 2 styles available: continental and Irish. The food was good but not great, really comparable to Holiday Inn Express or Marriott's included breakfast.
The sweet, understanding and helpful girl at the desk gave us excellent restaurant recommendations and sent us to a great Pub for dinner. She was still there, friendly and smiling, the next morning when we checked out.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

I had booked a room with three single beds via hotels.com for this hotel. When we arrived we were allocated a room with a double and a single. On asking to be moved, we were told that the hotel didn't have triple rooms and it was the website's fault! The family room was not great: we were only given one key between three, the door knob was hanging off, the washbasin was cracked, the towels were tiny. Breakfast was a mediocre affair. When one of us asked for brown toast the waitress said they had no brown bread - and yet there was a pile of brown bread sitting by the cereal! The whole atmosphere was one of not really caring less. The only bright spot was the evening meal we had where the food was good and the waiter very friendly and service good.

A relative had arranged for a welcome pack to be delivered to the hotel from the local tourist office for us. The people on reception claimed not to have seen this - and yet when we visited the extremely helpful ladies in the tourist office we discovered that they had actually gone out of their way to see that the package had been sent to us. We suspect the hotel just binned it.

The hotel advertises itself as being in Drogheda - it isn't. It's on the outskirts and would be a very long walk in if you were carless. No doubt that's the fault of the website too....

All in all, not to be recommended.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Westport, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

We booked online - via the hotel's own website and Best Western booking engine - for two adults and two toddlers, and confirmed a room with one double and two twin beds. On arrival we were told firstly that they didn't have our details on record and secondly that they didn't have any rooms of that type available. But we could pay an extra EUR20 a night to get a double and two twins in interconnecting rooms. As we had booked and confirmed a double and two twins at a lower rate, this doesn't seem right. We were also told that this problem has happened before and is because the booking notification that the hotel receives from Best Western does not include the full room details. It's bad enough that they are aware of a problem and haven't fixed it. But what is completely unacceptable is for them to try to profit from the situation - or maybe its not fixed because they make more money this way? The attitude at reception was very disappointing. A hotel should provide a welcome, and what we got was the opposite of inviting; once we refused to pay the extra EUR20 per night (it was to be a four night stay) it was as if we were being cheapskates for wanting to stay for the price in our original booking contract. If they don't want people at those rates, don't advertise them! They tried to put us in a room with two double beds but it smelled of stale smoke and had an ashtray on the table. As it was late, we agreed to take the next room offered (one double, one single, and then a cot). The single bed had a new mattress but the double was very lumpy. The room itself was only big enough for the beds, the cot had to block the door. Room and bathroom decor very dated, TV was a small 80s style portable with 4 or 5 channels, a world away from the standards set by modern hotels. The only good thing about this hotel is the Country Club with gym and swimming pool. We checked out next morning and spent the next three nights in a fantastic, modern, and very welcoming hotel in the town centre.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Cork
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

so, I booked this hotel for an overnight stay as they accept dogs. I was quoted 100 euro for the night which was promptly reduced to 69 when I mentioned I can get that rate online. On arrival we were looking forward to staying there as it looks quite nice from the outside. Once we arrived however things rapidly went downhill. Outside is fine but I guess we got the worst room because of the dog - it was dated, faded and had a stained and marked duvet. It was also a smoking room (my fault for not specifying when I booked) The TV was a tiny 14 inch CRT that like the room had seen better days. Shower nozzles and other plastics yellowed with age. The stairs to the room (quickest way according to reception) had dirty marked and stained walls along with a threadbare carpet - not the great first impression. At the bar I asked for a guinness. When it arrived I was told I could swap if for something else if I wished as the guinness was dodgy all week. It was indeed a bit off so I did but why serve dodgy drink? Needless to say, I drank no more there. Only 1 thin pillow per head provided by default. also. Breakfast was interesting. There were different prices for continental and irish breakfasts so I asked did my room rate cover both of these. The waitress looked confused and said she didnt know. No offer to check. I asked her to check and she stormed off to do so. I ordered a side of mushrooms with breakfast - no sign of them. All in all poor service, poor quality room and overpriced for what we got.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

only arrived at 21.30 and left at 08.00 so didnt see alot of the hotel
someone had been smoking in my room mentioned to reception,and they would have moved ,me but i opened the window,and it was fine
Wifi was excellent and free very fast poss because it was sunday night
staff very friendly,breakfast was fine good range of continental items
and would be happy to recomend jthis hotel

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!