“Very disappointing tired and old” 3 of 5 stars

Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dublin Road, Drogheda, Ireland   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Drogheda
Cork, Ireland
“Very disappointing tired and old”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We booked in for a family occasion picked this hotel as had attended a wedding 10 years previously and it was beautiful. What a shock we were in for outside of the hotel very run down looking pleasant lady at reception but the rooms , we had 2 ajoining for the kids what a let down the toilet had nor been cleaned in our room and there were plenty stains to prove this. The room was very dated right down to the hairy brown blankets the childrens room had popcorn on the floor not from them and my daughter nearly fell off tge toilet as the toilet seat was barely hanging on. The bar even though the bar man was lovely and very good at his job, there was a damp musty smell . Overall not an enjoyable stay even though I could not fault the staff definately lacking attention to detail

• Stayed March 2013
Aogan, General Manager at Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Cleanliness is of paramount importance to us here at the hotel and it is unacceptable that your room was not cleaned to the normal high standards we set ourselves. I would like to apologise profusely for this. Thank you for the kind comments about the staff. I will ensure that these are passed on.

Aogan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Drogheda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This hotel is a very peaceful hotel however needs to get more comfortable beds. We stayed here for a night and it was lovely and clean and the staff were nice too. We didn't sleep great due to an uncomfortable bed. Breakfast was lovely and the staff are very kind and helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that you did not find our beds comfortable. I would appreciate if you could contact me with your room number so that we can take corrective action. I will pass on your kind comments to all our staff.

Kind regards,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Cheep which means a lot of drunk people, who are making a lot of noise at night on the lobby, corridor etc.
Dirty carpets, broken tv, bathroom the worst i ever seen. Morning food was ok but It's impossible to get good international food. Still sausages, eggs, bacon. There are not only english people. Other nationalities as well. Not a friendly place.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Aogan, General Manager at Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We have no record of a complaint as detailed in your review. I would appreciate if you contact me directly to discuss your review further.

New York, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were staying on one side of the hotel that didn't seem to be as newly updated. The woman at the desk one day was very unpleasant as we checked-in when there was a mixup with our booking.

The triple room we were staying in had a broken toilet seat, a bloody looking handprint next to the mirror in the bedroom, and even though one of the beds was made, there was sand or crumbs on it. I was closest to the hallway and you could hear conversation and a blowdryer from a room across the hall through the walls.

The breakfast food was good hotel fair, but the service was terrible, the waitresses forgot to ever return with things that we politely requested like ketchup or tea, until we reminded them 20 minutes later, despite it not being too crowded. We had to get up and get our own cups from a nearby table.

I suppose if you stay in a nicer suite then it must be a better experience, but I don't think I would return and would rather pay a bit more and stay at a hotel like The D.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I would like to apologize profusely for our shortcomings during your visit. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly in the hotel so that I can discuss your review in more detail.
We pride ourselves on our cleanliness and levels of service and it was extremely disappointing to receive your review.

Donaghadee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and myself stayed for a weekend last month. the outside of the hotel is looking a bit tired and could do with a bit of a spruce up! Rooms were lovely with a lovely view of the gardens. Staff were pleasant and helpful. Food in the hotel was good although we ate out in town the following night.
Overall a lovely relaxing weekend even with the bad weather!!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the gardens have a beautiful view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aogan, General Manager at Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed yourselves and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I was lucky enough to get a great deal for Easter weekend via an online offer.
There are a few, well I wouldn't call them negative remarks as they were not really negative. As mentioned in previous reviews I work in a hotel so I wouldn't notice things most people wouldn't.
There were some splatter marks on the wall possibly from a drink being spilt, it did seem to rub off but it is possible it was missed accidentally. Not too sure what way the TVs work in the South of Ireland but we had about 5 channels that worked, I didn't say anything at the time as we weren't for spending all day in the room watching TV, maybe new digital TVs is something that is in the pipeline.
Some of the public areas decor could do with being updated but that's not saying its real run down. It is in good shape but somewhat let's the rest of the property down.
On to the positive. Even first impressions of the drive way up to this place is really nice and the building itself is beautiful. In what I'm guessing was the original country house is such a pretty stair case. Free parking. On the entrance to the hotel the reception is very well done, to an extent it's grand. Our room itself was about average size, it had a nice view of the grounds at the side of the hotel. It was clean and comfortable. We did not eat at the hotel on the first night, instead opting for a Chinese restaurant in town.
Breakfast the next morning was nice, you could help yourself to cereals and juices with the cooked part brought to your table. It was really nice and set you up for the day.
We ate in the bar on the second night. A very nice guy who worked in the bar changed the channel for us and put on the rugby match. We both had steaks which were delicious and 2 desserts which were great also. Service was quick.
The staff at this hotel were so nice and very helpful. I would have loved to seen a set up for the weddings as in the brochure it looked amazing and would consider having my own there.
We did not available of the leisure facilities as we were out exploring.
I would definitely return here again as it is a great place and is about an hours drive from my home.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for all your feedback both negative and positive. Feedback like this will help us improve and is very much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Had a lovely two night stay last weekend. Hotel was very pleasant. Rooms very comfortable AND you could open the windows. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. Evening dinner was very nice. The only negative was the drive up to the hotel which should have been very inviting with trees on either side however, the driveway was full of potholes, one in particular was so large I thought the shock absorber had been damaged in my car. This should be sorted as it takes away from the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 223 looked over the very pleasant gardens
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am sorry that you were not happy with the condition of the driveway. We have done some work on it since your stay and all pot holes have been filled.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Aogan

Been to Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!