“Lovely weekend” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Drogheda
Donaghadee
“Lovely weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and myself stayed for a weekend last month. the outside of the hotel is looking a bit tired and could do with a bit of a spruce up! Rooms were lovely with a lovely view of the gardens. Staff were pleasant and helpful. Food in the hotel was good although we ate out in town the following night.
Overall a lovely relaxing weekend even with the bad weather!!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the gardens have a beautiful view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aogan, General Manager at Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed yourselves and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Aogan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I was lucky enough to get a great deal for Easter weekend via an online offer.
There are a few, well I wouldn't call them negative remarks as they were not really negative. As mentioned in previous reviews I work in a hotel so I wouldn't notice things most people wouldn't.
There were some splatter marks on the wall possibly from a drink being spilt, it did seem to rub off but it is possible it was missed accidentally. Not too sure what way the TVs work in the South of Ireland but we had about 5 channels that worked, I didn't say anything at the time as we weren't for spending all day in the room watching TV, maybe new digital TVs is something that is in the pipeline.
Some of the public areas decor could do with being updated but that's not saying its real run down. It is in good shape but somewhat let's the rest of the property down.
On to the positive. Even first impressions of the drive way up to this place is really nice and the building itself is beautiful. In what I'm guessing was the original country house is such a pretty stair case. Free parking. On the entrance to the hotel the reception is very well done, to an extent it's grand. Our room itself was about average size, it had a nice view of the grounds at the side of the hotel. It was clean and comfortable. We did not eat at the hotel on the first night, instead opting for a Chinese restaurant in town.
Breakfast the next morning was nice, you could help yourself to cereals and juices with the cooked part brought to your table. It was really nice and set you up for the day.
We ate in the bar on the second night. A very nice guy who worked in the bar changed the channel for us and put on the rugby match. We both had steaks which were delicious and 2 desserts which were great also. Service was quick.
The staff at this hotel were so nice and very helpful. I would have loved to seen a set up for the weddings as in the brochure it looked amazing and would consider having my own there.
We did not available of the leisure facilities as we were out exploring.
I would definitely return here again as it is a great place and is about an hours drive from my home.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for all your feedback both negative and positive. Feedback like this will help us improve and is very much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Had a lovely two night stay last weekend. Hotel was very pleasant. Rooms very comfortable AND you could open the windows. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. Evening dinner was very nice. The only negative was the drive up to the hotel which should have been very inviting with trees on either side however, the driveway was full of potholes, one in particular was so large I thought the shock absorber had been damaged in my car. This should be sorted as it takes away from the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 223 looked over the very pleasant gardens
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am sorry that you were not happy with the condition of the driveway. We have done some work on it since your stay and all pot holes have been filled.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Derry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Had a lovely short stay here. Room was clean And basic, more than serving our needs. The very friendly staff made us very welcome. Breakfast fantastic, nothing too much trouble. Good craic in bar at night. Loved the tealights around the Huge fireplace in foyer .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are always delighted to read such positive reviews.

Carrickfergus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Firstly the hotel is in beautiful grounds and driving up to the hotel is lovely. Inside the lobby and surrounding areas are also nice and some parts are even very grand looking. The bedrooms need to be updated and the breakfast room and conservatory also need a face lift. The hotel is fine if a little grubby looking in parts. The country club part, i.e. swimming pool etc are of average standard. The gym is very good with new equipment and the tennis courts looked very good also.

I found the staff to be ok. I would not say they were rude but i would not go as far to say they were helpful either. Its almost as if they dont want to be there? Some of the staff were friendlier but there was very little conversation from any of them. Even when we asked questions they answered and were polite but you can tell when its just a job to people. I think management could work on the attitude of staff and increase the customer service side to make the hotel a better and friendlier place to stay. This is not a complaint about the staff, just something which could be addressed to make the place become more popular.

One thing i found a bit odd and off putting during our 2 night stay was that at breakfast the next morning there was no host / hostess to show you to your seat and offer you a menu. My husband and i were laughing about this as most people coming through the restaurant stood at the host station at the front of the room for ages until they either gave up and just picked their own table or someone eventually came and seated them. To fix this i would either put a sign on the host table "Please sit at any table" or similar or actually have a host at the front of the room! Also, a few A4's laminated to explain breakfast on the tables would benefit the hotel. These simple signs / menus etc would make a great difference. Everyone in that room asked the same questions! The waitress says, what would you like for breakfast? The quest says, What do you have? lol. Simply putting a breakfast menu on the table would prevent this from happening.

We had dinner in the Bar on one night and it was really lovely food. I would have eaten in the restaurant if we could have found it! I think staff could chat more to people and tell them about the hotel and surrounding area a bit more. Just being a bit more outgoing and friendly would make them enjoy their work more as well as making clients feel more welcome.

All in all, we had a great weekend and have actually booked to stay again in June and have got my sister and her family to come with us so the hotel must have done something right! I certainly dont wish to put anyone off by my comments. The main aim of my review is to encourage the hotel to fix a few problems as i hate to see businesses not maximising their potential and losing custom. Derelict buildings are a very sad and frequent sight these days!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Aogan, General Manager at Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comprehensive and constructive review. Please be assured that I will take all points you have made on board and will work hard to continually improve our product.
I was extremely surprised to read your thoughts regarding our staff as we get a large volume of compliments about their friendliness. I know the team will be disappointed to read your review as they pride themselves on their customer service.
I am delighted that you have re booked with us in June and I look forward to welcoming you back. I hope that you will notice some positive changes.
Thank you again for taking the time to submit your review.

Yours sincerely,

Aogan Dunne
laois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed at the Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club last weekend . first I want to say the hotel was grand . the food was good and staff were lovely . first before anyone thinks I am against children staying in hotels . far from it . but boyne valley had Larry the Leprechaun hunt on . that was ok . it was fun for the kids . but the kids were let run riot through the hotel . we were going to have our dinner in the bar but seeing all the children we decided to pay a bit more and have it in peace in the Restaurant. we could have stayed in the bar . the kids came in from the bar . running through one door and out the other . plus the one door where they were running by was the kitchen . and the staff were afraid of there lives they would spill something hot on the children . this went on all through dinner . we then as old fogies do went to our room to take a afternoon nap . bad idea . the kids were screaming and running riot through the hallways of the bedrooms . the kids parents were in the bar drinking . no parent was coming to check where there kids were . my heart was in my mouth and i did not own them , they were as little as two years of age . we decided to go out to get away from the noise and arrived back to the hotel at midnight . as we waled in the door the kids were still screaming and the parents still drinking . as we walked to our bedroom . there is a lobby on the way . omg it was like walking into a tip . the crisps were walked into the ground . sweet papers every where . cups ect . i wanted to go home at that stage . we went to bed . the screaming and banging of doors stopped at half two in the morning . i have to put some of the blame on the hotel . someone should have been able to go to these parents and ask them to take control of the children and also have them in bed at a decent hour . we did complain to the duty manager the next morning , she said she had a lot of complaints . i see they are having a Easter hunt Easter Sunday . if u want peace . check that there is not something like this on. I wont be back to this hotel . why? because when i go away i like a bit of peace . I like that i can go and close my bedroom door and its peaceful . I would often bring my grandchildren with me but they would be made respect the people around them and they would not be allowed wander off on there own , I would also expect the hotel to keep everyones comfort in mind . not those that are spending money all day in the bar and are prepared to sit up with the children wrecking the hotel

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Aogan, General Manager at Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for submitting your review. I was happy to read your comments about our food and our staff.
Following on from your comments about the children please be assured that I will undertake a full review of our offering and how we manage these events going forward. In our defence we continually asked parents to supervise their children however at times these requests did seem to be ignored.
I am sorry that such a happy and exciting time for all the children involved had such a negative impact on your stay and as previously mentioned I will conduct a full review of our management of these events.
I do hope that we do have the opportunity in the future to welcome you back to the Boyne Valley.

Holywood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

stayed at this lovely hotel end of february .my friend and myself had a lovely stay,the staff where
pleasant,very helpful.
the food in the bar resturant was lovely and value for your money.
the indoor swimming pool was good there was jacuzzi,gym and steam room .
breakfast was great, no menu but you could have kippers,irish fry,are omelette.
had a lovely room over looking the gardens
only thing was on first night window wouldnt open ,but as soon as we mentioned this we where moved right away .
overall it was a great hotel for what we paid,well worth a visit.

Room Tip: we went to the battle off the boyne wasnt a lot to see just fields.drogheda town was great for shopp...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure that your comments are passed onto all our staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Aogan

Been to Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!