“Family friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Drogheda, Ireland
“Family friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Lovely atmosphere and great food - ambience is unique set in the Old Brewery - family friendly - craft beers and great choice

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Ireland
“Good and Bad with loads of potential”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've eaten twice in Cairnes, the first time when it had just opened, the second more recently. I like the decor and the menus are brilliant.The service certainly seemed to have improved the second time around. The first time it actually became a standing joke with the group I was with how bad the service was (a gathering of 8 ex-colleagues, we were there to have a good time so we did enjoy ourselves!). One of the people I was with asked where the toilets were, the waitress (as she had done with EVERY request that evening) stood there like a rabbit caught in headlights and actually took out, and looked at, her notebook before vaguely gesturing towards the bar area and saying 'it's over there'. That was the clearest answer we were given to any question and we had to wait an inordinate amount of time between courses.
There were no such problems on my second visit, we had a particularly good waitress (but did see other diners getting frustrated with their wait staff). Unlike other reviewers I had no problem at all with the food, the Butternut Squash roast is particularly delicious. On this visit I was there with my kids on a Sunday evening and we all loved it. There was a band playing, and the crowd in the bar did get a bit raucous but for us that just added to the atmosphere. We left by 9pm so early enough and I would imagine the raucousness escalated as the evening went on. So whether that is a good or bad thing probably depends on what you are looking for from your evening.
One thing that bothers me is the ENORMOUS big screen in the eating area. It wasn't too bad on the first visit (showing the semi final of Euro2012, which I can sort of understand), however on the second visit there was this huge screen showing some random La Liga match - whatever about showing sports in the bar area I think it is a horrible distraction to do so in the restaurant area.
The raucousness and the massive TV screens makes me think that Cairnes management haven't made up their minds whether they want to lean towards the gastro or the pub part of 'W.M. Cairnes Gastropub' name. I think they really need to iron out their issues with service/identity before I would fully recommend this venue however it is still definitely a positive addition to the Drogheda eating/drinking scene.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Meath
“This is one to watch!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Recently opened in Scotch Hall this Gastro pub does exactly what it says on the Tin!! ( went as a large family Group aged 20 - 65) It was very busy on arrival and we had reserved our table as it we had been informed that it was to be very busy!! A live band provided the music and was good. The menu came bound in a BEANO ANNUAL ( bit strange) and I found the choices very limited and not too my taste. However other members of the group loved them. The ribs and wings where the most popular. Mains where also v good. The Fish and and twice cooked chips appeared to be the favourites. (mushy peas not v nice) The burger is huge and great value! the seafood pasta was FAB!! Sweets: The Rocky Road Sundae is NOT a Sundae!! it came served in three small glass jars (WHY!!) and u had to assemble it yourself (fun for kids maybe but not for me) The praline toffee was welded to the d bottom of one jar and would have broken your teeth!! so if you have crowns or flase teeth don't order this. Overall great value and on par with the Eastern Sea Board. Good place to go for 18 to 50 agegroup and not for young familys!! This place is only new but it is deffo going to be great!! looking forward to having drinks here in the near future.

Visited August 2012
Meath
“This is one to watch!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

( went as a large family Group aged 20 - 65)
Overall great value and on par with the Eastern Sea Board.
Good place to go for 18 to 50 agegroup and not for young familys!!

Visited August 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“Good addition to Drogheda”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Visited the pub shortly after it opened after having read about the range of craft beers on offer and was tempted by the food we saw being served to other people. Have eaten here on three or four occasions and always found the food to be excellent - no complaints at all. Bar staff are great and friendly but the waiting staff can sometimes be a bit slow and occasionally it seems that there is a bit of a lack of organisation. The menu is quite small but very interesting and care has been taken to suggest a beer or wine to accompany each dish. I always pick the linguini with prawn and crab which is gorgeous and has a generous amount of crab claws and prawns - it is often the case that rocket on the top of dishes hides the fact that there are only 2 claws and 3 prawns but that's definitely not the case here. The ribs are also a winner (like the purple potato salad!) as are the fish and chips. Last Thursday's special of South African Langoustine Scampi served with chips and salad was just delicious and excellent value at €11.50. All in all I'd recommend giving this place a go as it's good food and great value with a very good range of wine and beer.

• 5 of 5 stars Food