“Not a 5* by a long way” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Limerick
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not a 5* by a long way”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Firstly I'm confused is the hotel a Marriot or not? The answer I got was it is not and has not been for the past 4 1/2 years. Well in that case why does the hotel still look exactly like a Marriot!!! The only difference I could see was the curtains in the bedroom. The wifi network is Marriot the branding on the telephone is Marriot the carpets bear the same pattern as a Marriot hotel.

That aside the parking situation is horrendous if you arrive at rush hour as the parking is in a multi-level car park opposite the hotel.

I know what your thinking whilst reading this you are thinking-god this bloke is moaning on and on but there are good points which I will address later.

The toilet flush was broken (reported) and glued back together again vey badly.

The water pressure in the sink is really extreme- it's akin to putting your toothbrush under a shower head.

The hotel restaurant is described as a New York style steak house, again being totally honest the food is fairly good but Chinese style would be a better description.

The view from my room was drab to say the least looking at a back ally and a huge zinc coated roof through the dirty window ( see my photos )

All that said the best feature of the hotel is the bed by far one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

As a regular visitor here and fan of this hotel, I have to agree with a previous reviewer that the hotel is now more akin to a 4 star rather than it's current published rating of 5 star.

Some things I have noticed recently in visiting for food and/or coffee is that the prices do not reflect either the limited choice or the current market for lunch and dinner in Limerick where many restaurants are realising that you have to offer competitive prices to survive. The Savoy appears to be trying to maintain the prices of yesteryear on the pretense of it being a 5 star hotel, which as I already mentioned, I feel it no longer is. One only has to look at the condition of the tables in the enclosed seating / dining area off the Liszt Lounge to see improvement is required as they are all very badly chipped and really should not be on display whatsoever.

As a coffee fanatic, I am also disappointed to see they now appear to be using cheaper sub standard coffee beans that leave a rather unpleasant aftertaste in your mount and is very poor for an establishment that claims to be 5 star. I also feel as is normal in many other 5 star hotels that small pots of coffee should be provided rather than run of the mill cafe style cups.

One saving grace for the Savoy is the excellent staff to which has remained constant thankfully.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Carlow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stayed here for the weekend with my partner and his family. Great customer service, great value, and beautiful rooms. Breakfast the next morning filled us up for the whole day. Great variety of choices. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, U.A.E.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

My wife & I stayed at this hotel for two nights to celebrate our 50th anniversary. The entire experience could not have been better, thanks to the welcoming staff & the beautiful Richard Harris suite. From our arrival & check-in we were greeted by pleasant,efficient & helpful staff. The owners, Ann & Ronan seem to have their great management style percolate right through all the staff. The suite was really beautiful & the breakfast was as good as I have ever had. Our only regret was that we couldn't have stayed much longer at this fabulous hotel. Being smack in the centre of the city, everything is within walking distance, including the Hunt Museum & the beautifully restored King Johns Castle.

Room Tip: If it's available, try to stay in the Richard Harris suite.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Waterford, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Booked the savoy last week for my husband 60 Birthday for a two night break and could not wait to get home. Frist day we arrived we wanted afternoon tea and we're told they were having a function in the dinning room, so they put us in a corner. While we ate they were constantly roiling tables and chairs around in front of us. The following morning we went down to breakfast. We were told they where having another function so they were not able to sevre us in the dinning room. They put us in a room with only ting coffee tables and we have to eat our breakfast off our laps. This is not 5 star standard by any means. On the next night they had a party in the function room that played music till 3 in the morning. And when the party was over they were loud in the hallways and banging doors. Didn't sleep all night. When I complained in the morning they were unapologetic. I cut my stay short it was that disappointed.

Room Tip: Do not book room 313 if you want a night sleep
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We arrived in the Savoy to be greeted by pleasant accommodating staff at the reception desk. Staff on all aspects of the stay were extremely helpful and friendly and added to our stay. Rooms are lovely and spacious and in a prime location in the city centre a stones throw from the shops! I have to comment on our disappointing trip to the Hamptons restaurant, having heard such rave reviews we opted to make reservations in the restaurant. It is a stunning restaurant with fantastic waiters. However our food was ordered and within 3 minutes. (and this is no exaggeration) our food was brought to us. The idea of it being freshly prepared has to be questioned. Not only that but no sooner were we finished plates lifted off the table our main course was served followed by the dessert, tea and coffee we were so rushed we were finished a 4 course meal within the hour. I have dined in many establishments which have been slow with food service but this was too much too fast. Food was ok, not of the quality with which a 4/5 star hotel is associated with. Overall the hotel was beautiful but the restaurant really let our stay down. The breakfast was also of poor standard in my eyes. Overall the hotel is fantastic however food is its only downfall.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying in the Savoy hotel with a group of girls on Sat 30th Nov 2013. What a fantastic time we had. Hotel ambiance great, customer service second to non, facilities amazing. The bedrooms and in particular the beds were really comfortable, a great sleep! We ate in The Hamptons restaurant which is part of the hotel and all I can say is that it was out of this world. Such a good vibe in the place, food soooooo tasty and again fantastic service. I cannot say enough good things about our time in the Savoy Hotel Limerick. The hotel is just around the corner from fantastic shops and we did some retail therapy. Thank you so much and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: While this is a city centre hotel the rooms were quiet but we were on the 6th floor. Be prepared for...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Savoy Hotel? Share your experiences!