“Cheap and convenient,” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Railway Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Limerick
Railway Hotel
Save Saved
You added Railway Hotel to your Saves list
Parnell Street, Limerick, Ireland   |
Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in Limerick
“Cheap and convenient,”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012 via mobile

I read trip advisor before I came down and knew what I was walking into. Most of the negatives are true there is a smell in the hallways,the decor is outdated,the walls are very thin and the bar customers made it known it was closed at four in the morning.

That would be a bad review but the positives balance this stay.it was a stag week-end so myself and a mate booked the train from Dublin and this hotel for the Saturday night before the Munster v ulster quarter final.the price per person was €30 board. The other lads were paying at least €65 board.the location is ideal across from the railway and literally a five minute walk to Henry street.the room was clean,with plenty of hot water.

Walking into this with my eyes open I was very happy with the service and standard.the area near the hotel would be the homestead of the dundons so be careful but since we were literally in the hotel just for sleeping and it's proximity to the station.I had a very happy,safe stay. there is a taxi rank around the corner but we were able to walk everywhere on foot.where price is a key factor this hotel is a winner the trip on the trian and the acommadation cost €52.

This was the highest rating I would give this hotel because of it's lack of facilities ect but infairness with prices like this the advantages outway the negatives especially when compared to similarly priced options.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Ruzomberok, Slovakia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I was flying from Shannon and picked this hotel as it was ideally located just across the bus station where I was taking my bus to the airport. A friendly receptionist checked me in, gave me a map of Limerick city and showed me places to go (as I wanted to do a bit of exploring too) and got into my room. Well the furniture would need some upgrading but considering it is an old building and has been run as a hotel for the last 40 years (been told that by some local customers later when having a drink in the bar downstairs - which I have found pretty cosy and with a homely atmosphere) I think it is quite understandable and gives the place a typical old irish feel. Girl serving breakfast in the morning couldn`t have been more helpful and for making me feel really welcome I would definitely be coming back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I stayed here in December as it's so close to Limerick bus station. It's certainly a no frills hotel. The room was small, basic and reasonably clean but the carpets were old and stained. There was no hot water in the bathroom when I went for a shower, the receptionist said there was a problem with the hot water that day but she came to look at it and got it to work. I suspect the hotel turn off the hot water during the day to reduce costs. It was only 25 euros for the night so I wasn't expecting the Ritz but hot running water is surely a basic requirement in any hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Dropped my mother in law here last night. Booked it last week as its straight across from Limerick train/bus station. Receptionist was lovely when I walked in to book it and said payment would be the day after the stay (as per usual in every other hotel) and the place looked ok in daylight but I really didn't look around much. Last night was a different story.

The woman on reception informed us last night that the boiler was broken and wouldn't be fixed until the morning so there was no heating and no hot water. I understand these things happen but they could have informed us prior to arriving as they had my mobile no. As my mother in law is not from Ireland and doesn't have the best English she didn't didn't want to move somewhere else further from the train station.
I asked how much discount there would be on the rooms and the receptionist said none. When I pushed the issue she went to find her manager. Price came down from €40 (single person) to €35. I wouldn't have paid it but it was late at that stage and her bags were heavy.
They then wanted payment up front as, quote from receptionist "I won't be here tomorrow". I refused and said the norm is payment after service.

Room was tiny, could not walk around bed. Was clean enough looking but I was only there 5mins. Was cold and grubby looking, very old furnishings.

We then ate in the bar with my 8year old daughter. A lot of drunk men around, one actually joined us at our table for a bit. Bar staff were ok but didn't do anything about keeping drunk men away from our table (it was only 8pm).
Food was fine but not great menu. We just got soup and sandwiches.

There are surely better places in Limerick to spend the night!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

We were a bit skeptical when we entered this hotel - the room rates were quite cheap. It turned out to be a nice hotel to stay for the night. The staff was very helpful at the front desk and knowledgeable about the local area - restaurants/bars, etc. Breakfast the next day was just average and they were severely understaffed. I felt sorry for the waitress who was running around like crazy trying to keep everyone happy. She did a great job.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Clifton Park, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Stayed here in April with my daughter and returned again in August. Basic no frills hotel. Room is clean. SImilar to B&B accommodations. Pub downstairs is delightdful and we had our breakfasts and dinners there. Family run; friendly; saw same locals both times. It has a nice feel to it. Nothing fancy AT ALL but perfect in my opinion.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011 via mobile

I am currently lying on a bed in the railway hotel. I haven't taken my clothes of as I am afraid to sleep in the bed, it's so dirty. I have already paid but I am considering either just driving home or sleeping in my car. That is how bad the room is! I have taken some photos which I will upload but they don't do justice to the level of filth in the room... I have found several toe nail clippings and other unidentifiable stains on the carpet. The pillow cases are on inside out and the duvet cover is covered in crusty stains!!! There isn't even any shower gel in the shower...

• Stayed May 2011

Been to Railway Hotel? Share your experiences!