“excellent quality of food at a great price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Firefly Steakhouse - CLOSED

Firefly Steakhouse
4 George's Quay, Limerick, Ireland (Formerly Firefly Bistro)
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Entertaining clients, Scenic view, Dining on a budget, Romantic, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: As one of the city’s newly established restaurants the Firefly Bistro has a lot to offer those who grace its illuminated threshold.Overlooking the Abbey River, it is the perfect spot to stop and enjoy Limerick at its finest. Its modern interior is warm and inviting, boasting the stencilling art of Banksy on the wallsJust like its sister restaurant The Red Onion Brasserie the chefs at the Firefly are creative and innovative with food, illustrating just how possible it is to experience refined dining at austerity busting prices.A haven for any diner, the Firefly has an extensive menu that caters for all tastes and dietary requirements. So if you’re looking for something new the Firefly Bistro will not disappoint. Its signature dishes from our Surf ‘n’ Turf platter to our homemade ice creams will be the topping to that perfect night out.
Limerick, Ireland
“excellent quality of food at a great price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Having been a fan of Firefly Bistro's sister restaurant (The Red Onion) I made sure I was one of the first to try out the new venue. And again, they have turned up trumps. The food here is so good, and so reasonable! On my latest trip to the Firefly Bistro earlier this week, a member of our party was coeliac. However, this was no problem with the menu available. Most things are gluten free or become gluten free with small changes. My friend had more choice than she has had any other time we've been out to eat.

I would recommend this spot to anyone looking for a great meal in Limerick city.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Limerick
“Riverfest Samples”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I had a sample of the food on offer here at the Riverfest this year (2013) I had the Pulled Pork and it was simply devine, soft meat, plenty of flavour I would deffinately come back for more

Visited May 2013
Limerick, Ireland
“Won't be Going back Here!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I ate here last Saturday 4th May, I was with my boyfriend & parents. I had a voucher from Pigsback.com & thankfully we paid very little for it as it was very disappointing. My boyfriend & I arrived before my parents and He had a glass of white wine (house) and I just had a water while we were waiting for my parents to arrive. The decor is very cheap and one of the walls is painted orange which is absolutely disgusting, over all the place is very cold and shabby. When my parents arrived my mother asked for a glass of house white wine and when she was handed her glass she was told by the waitress that the wine wasn't chilled so if she wanted she could bring her some ice to put in it, very bad. Starters were okay but my father had mussels and had to ask for a bowl of water to clean his fingers. The napkins were paper, again making it very cheap. The mains were not great but my dad did have the rack of lamp and he said it was nice.. I had the chicken satay and it wasn't great and the mash potato with my mums chicken was definitely reheated, awful... Finally the deserts, the worst part they were absolutely awful.. My mum had strawberry & coconut creme brulee and it was dreadful, like as if the milk had curdled and I had the snickers cheesecake which was disgusting. The waiter & waitresses were very unprofessional and didn't use serving towels at any stage and were congregated by the cash till joking and laughing for most of the time we were there. I would not go back here again, needs to change a lot of things. The big problem is, is that the previous restaurant that was there (The River Bistro) was Excellent and I was expecting the same but it is not a patch on it, everything about it was cheap!

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Poor all round.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We ate here Saturday night as we we go to the river bistro on a regular basis and we said we'd give the new restaurant "firefly" a go, when we went in the first thing that hit us was the cheap decor and the second was a picture that fell off the wall behind us (no joke). The waitress was very unpleasant and never as much as stretched to a smile and anything we asked of her was in our eyes seen as an inconvenience we found her very rude however the waiter was pleasant . Now to the food, Our starters were very average and lacked flavour, the main course was shambolic, all I can say is a waste of good fish. Everyone's fish was well overdone and sides were roast potatoes and carrot which were very tasteless and were very basic, when we complained to the waitress we didn't get as much as an apology or query as to how the meals were until we complained. Deserts were terrible, we were after all paying for a very expensive menu which wasn't value for money to say the least. Most certainly won't be returning.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“OK”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Ate here on Saturday night, very disappointed. Bistro is very small, decoration is also a little shabby, menu sounded promising but didnt deliver, steaks were not cooked to request and quiet bland, vegetable side dishes not very appetising.... puréed carrot and roast potatoes...not a great amount of vegetables, tempura prawns were not lightly battered but covered in a heavy layer of batter, ice creams lacked any of the flavours listed on the menu as did the cheescake. The service was nice and friendly and the amuse bouche was quiet tasty/

• Visited April 2013