“Rude waiter” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Limerick
Dublin, Ireland
“Rude waiter”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

I visited no 1 Pery Square last weekend with 3 of my girlfriends. We had a lovely day in the Spa and hotel staff were all nice apart from one of the waiters who was really rude, her name is Barbara. Initially we thought it was a language problem but then realized that she was just being unbelievably rude and intimidating. I would recommend this hotel but there's no excuse whatsoever for bad customer service.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
LimerickFoodie, Owner at No. 1 Pery Square Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 28, 2010
Thank you for your comments and I am glad you enjoyed your time with us overall. I am very sorry you found Barbara to be rude but I can assure you 100% this was not her intention and I do feel this was a mis understanding. Barbara brought this to my attention the following day and was quite upset as she could not understand why you felt she was rude following your comments to Susie her colleague on Saturday night. I would like to chat to you direct but as the booking was made by your friend I did not want to call her when she didnt make the review which I hope you can understand.

Customer service is what we work hard at and I am sorry and if you felt let down by one of the team but I'm glad you will reccommend us to others. Patricia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Galway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

We arrived mid week and were greeted by Lewis, who was wonderfully welcoming, helpful and charming. After relaxing in our beautiful room Vanderkist, we enjoyed a couples treatment with Andrea and her staff. It was so relaxing as there were no time limits on treatments, as I find can be the case most time at spas in other city's.
We enjoyed a delicious fresh meal, cooked beautifully.
At breakfast our server a delightful lady whose name I do not know was so attentive and a wealth of information and quite amusing also, she really entertained us.
My only gripe was the slightly robotic receptionist, maybe a show a little more personality! Oh and maybe bath sheets would be nice as opposed to bath towels! But now I'm being extra fussy!

I would highly recommend No 1 Pery Square for a delicious, relaxing, friendly couples mid week retreat. I hope to return!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a lovely review on all our staff and the hotel. Its does us all great to get such lovely comments and its very motivating. Thanks again and hope to see you in Limerick again soon. Hopefully some nice weather to enjoy the terrace next time and our new magical Zen garden at the spa which will be complete in next few days....if the rain stays away!

Thanks again, Patricia
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

Ideal location for holding business meetings.
Our group of 12 were very pleased with the excellent help and service provided to make a success of our businesss meetings.
Parking was no problem and the ajacent public "Peoples" green park was excellent for short walks.
PS=We really enjoyed the " Home made Scones" with tea and coffee.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Glad it all went well and you found us a good venue for your meeting and yes we all love Alan's scones too! Hope to see you back again soon. Patricia
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

I stayed at this hotel just yesterday with four business collegues . I'm a regular business traveller always on the look out for convienience , top class food and service . its great to find this type of small hotel with great meeting facilities , good food , great professional but friendly service
What impressed me was the Georgian Quarter location combined with the quiteness but still in the city centre and relatively easy car parking
To get a three course menu of this standard for € 29 is amazing value . Personally , I had roast hake with clam and potato chowder ........ It was the best I had in a long ,long time

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for posting these comments and glad it all worked out for you and your business colleagues. Patricia
Limerick Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

No. 1 Pery Square is a little gem in the centre of Limerick City. Given that we live in Limerick it may seem crazy that we decided to spend a night in a hotel there however we have often been to lunch or dinner at the hotel so we decided to treat ourselves to a night away at a nice hotel without an associated long drive! We enjoyed every second from the moment we arrived. This hotel provides old fashioned hospitality and service which is hard to find today particularly in an urban environment. This hotel has the ambience of a country house but is located in the centre of the city which is great because you can walk to a selection of restaurants and bars. We really enjoyed the personal service and welcome which is all part of the package at No.1 Pery Square. When we arrived we were shown to our room which was at the front of the building overlooking the park. It a very spacious room and was decorated in a period style. The bathroom was magnificent with and came equipped with a free standing cast iron bath. We enjoyed dinner at the hotel's brasserie. The food is traditional French style with a twist and as always we enjoyed it thoroughly. We spent hours reading newspapers and just chilling out in the Park Room and left feeling totally relaxed and rejuvenated. I would recommend No. 1 Pery Square to anybody visiting Limerick or for a special treat even if you live in Limerick!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed in this hotel in May this year for a treat. First impressions of the hotel were good; the entrance was spotless and cosy. Reception was empty when we got arrived and after a short wait, a receptionist joined us. We were swiftly checked in and given directions to our room. The receptionist explained she could not accompany us to our room, as she could not leave the desk unattended! She did not offer us a tour of the facilities and to be honest, it didn’t cross my mind to ask. The hotel has a very complicated lay out so this proved to be frustrating when finding the room (the rooms are unhelpfully named after poets and writers instead of numbered), going for breakfast or trying to find the bar.

On first inspection the room was beautiful. The bathroom was large and the bed was comfortable. However our view was over the air fans of the hotel. This was not a problem until the next morning when the fans were in use and were incredibly noisy. We could not wait to get out of there the next day.

Before going out for the evening my husband decided to have a drink downstairs. He is a smoker and sat outside on the beautiful terrace. There were no ashtrays on the tables. I joined him after a few minutes and decided not to have a drink as there was no table service on the terrace and the bar was difficult to find. It was only when we were leaving for dinner that I noticed his bottle of beer, which cost a breath taking €5, was sold from a multi pack!

After being woken very early the next morning by the fans, we went for breakfast. The room where breakfast is served is beautiful but the food was only ok. My scrambled eggs were tough and tasteless and the yoghurts were a few days past their sell by date. I ate one nonetheless, but its not good enough for any hotel let alone this one. The usual suspects were present; undercooked pastries, juice from a carton and over chilled fruit salad. We left breakfast at around 11am. We seemed to have been the only guests in the breakfast room that morning.

I would not stay here again. The building is beautiful, parking is provided, but the service, ppor breakfast and multi pack beer really left a bitter taste.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
LimerickFoodie, Manager at No. 1 Pery Square Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2010
Firstly thank you for your nice comments on the reception, bedroom , Brasserie etc... and of course our beds. I'm glad you enjoyed all that. Please forgive me if I make any assumptions as I do not recall your stay. We are a very small boutique townhouse where I personally and most of the staff get to know our guests throughout their time with us and if anyone has an issue we would sense it and deal with it or indeed they would communicate this to us at some point.

On receipt of the review I do question ...was it another hotel locally which their is confusion with as I dont have your name etc but as I say I am in the dark a little..

On check in it is our policy to walk all guests to their bedrooms and give them a brief run down on the hotel, from time to time we do ask guests to bear with us for a few minutes while we arrange cover on the desk. Most guests enjoy a cup of tea in the Park room at this time. Again as we are small we dont have 2 persons on the desk at one time.

In relation to the Beer from a multipack. Our longneck bottles beers come from a reputable supplier and are standrad to all hotels , bars etc...

We choose to call our bedrooms after those who lived in the house and the club rooms after famous Irish poets to personalise the bedrooms as they are all very individual and we felt its in keeping with the history of the georgian quarter. I am sorry if this annoyed or frustrated you in anyway . I can understand numbers are the norm.

Our apologies if there was not an asytray on your table, many guests find them quite offensive even if empty but we do have them at hand for anyone who wants them, in fact they are on the terrace.

We do prepare our own juices ( Orange, apple & grapefruit), the juice can vary depending on the fruit and we also prepare fresh fruit platter daily, we do not offer a typical fruit salad and again I apologise if this is not too your liking.

We have never received a complaint about noise in a bedroom as the square is exceptionally peaceful by night and if this was brought to our attention we would have investigated it.

Overall it is very disapointing to hear a guest did not enjoy their time with us and I do apologise for this as we do care and work hard to please our guests. I am very happy to offer you a chance to come back to us with my compliments as I can re assure you this is not what we are all about if you choose to make yourself known to us.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

While in Limerick we had lunch at No. 1 Perry Square. Food was great and our two children (9 & 6) were well catered for. The reception staff were really pleasant and helpful. We had a tour of the spa and some of the rooms while we were there, just standing in the SPA reception was tranquil. I am looking forward to having a weekend away with the girls at this hotel or with my husband (if I can get someone to mind our two children). Have a glass of wine and look at the passers by in the park across the road, the afternoon we were there a band playing in the park, just lovely sitting back taking it all in. This hotel is a really nice chill out and relax sort of place.

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
LimerickFoodie, Owner at No. 1 Pery Square Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 12, 2010
Hello, Thanks for choosing us for lunch on your visit to Limerick and we are glad you enjoyed it. Yes the music in the park weekends were really great and particulary special for our residents who could listen in from our terrace or their period bedroom and the sunshine really helped! When you wish to come back and stay with us be sure to ask us if our penthouse is available.As a family room as it will give you and the kids much more space. I'm not sure if you noticed but the peoples park has a great kids play areas too and we have the DVD's for them to watch in the evening or while you indulge in the spa. hope to see you in Limerick soon. Best wishes Patricia

Been to No. 1 Pery Square Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!