“Do not stay here - unless you want the Fawlty Towers experience” 2 of 5 stars

Kilkenny House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Freshford Road, Kilkenny, Ireland   |
Ranked #54 of 93 Kilkenny B&B and Inns
Kildare
“Do not stay here - unless you want the Fawlty Towers experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

Just returned from a two night stay at this "hotel". I regret not checking the reviews first. I had an uneasy feeling about this hotel as soon as we met the man behind the reception desk - the hotel owner/manager. This man appears to be very distrustful and suspicious of his paying guests. As other reviewers have correctly pointed out, we had to pay upfront on arrival before we could get the key to our room.

We proceeded to the bar to relax and have a drink after our trip. I ordered a round of drinks from the bar and handed over my Laser/Debit card to pay but an embarassed barman informed me that as the sum total of the drinks was less than €20 then I would have to pay cash. There was no ATM facility at the hotel. I questioned the hotel owner/manager (who seemd to be on a constant patrol of the bar and reception area), about this payment policy. He said this was just his policy and he didn't want to have his staff using the Credit/Debit card machines too often. ?????? Any business policy which makes it difficult for customers to pay needs to be seriously re-considered ! No late bar service at this hotel either. If you leave the hotel in the evening, you have to bring the big, bulky keyring with you as room keys could not be left at reception - there was no late night staff on duty. Breakfast was only served between 9-10am. The hot food (e.g. bacon, suasage) appeared to be inadequately cooked. My room was not attended to at all during my stay. I reported this to the hotel owner/manager. He made a note of it but still nothing was done about it.

The hotel policies are just bizarre and we did not feel welcome. 'Fawlty Towers' comes to mind ! The hotel location is quite far from the town centre - 20 minute walk. The only positive point is that the rooms are clean and spacious.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
donegal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2008

I stayed here for two nights in a triple room (double and one single bed) The hotel is around a 5 minute drive frm kilkenny town centre!! The stairs and hallway to the bedrooms are nicely decorated and very modern!! I arrived at my room to the lovely suprise that the radiators were lovely and hot and the bedroom nicely heated! The rooms are very modern with big T.Vs! The breakfast in the morning is lovely..Self service to get cereal,drinks etc.. Waitresses come round to ask would you like a full irish breakfast and tea/coffee after a little while! Good service!! I would recommend this hotel!!

• Liked — Its very modern,fresh and lovely and warm!!
  • Disliked — Sometimes slow to come to reception!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
laois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2008

Arrived at this hotel and was asked to prepay on checking in! Rooms and hotel furnished beautifully but staff unwelcoming. Was part of a group of nine women in 30-40 age group celebrating a birthday with a meal in city of Kilkenny. Got the impression we were assumed to be a hen party and so were observed to see if we would be troublesome. Not allowed to leave room keys into reception that evening as "staff could not be guaranteed to be around later". We were advised that we could come and go easily ourselves if we brought them out with us.I have stayed in many hotels with lessamenities but a more welcoming atmosphere. Maybe a couple or smaller group would be more appealing to the management at the hotel. It has a great location, ample parking etc but the stay was not enjoyable due to the human element.

• Liked — Cleanliness, furnishings , location.
  • Disliked — Customer service.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Essex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2007

So having stayed a second night, i handed the manager the bathroom door handle for the second time......................I should have known... on arrival water was pouring through a light fitting in the lobby, the light was still on!! So i went up to my room, wanted to use the bathroom, but the handle came off the bathroom door, which was sticking due to the door shut on the floor. I prized it open used the facilities and went out, handing the receptionist the door handle. To cut the story short it happened again as they didnt fix it, so when leaving i offered to fix it myself when i spoke to Mr Dore ( a good likeness to John Cleese) the manager, all i needed was a screw and driver.I explained the problem,he said he would take the door off!!!! Love the Irish!!

• Liked — difficult question
  • Disliked — Bathroom door!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kilkenny House Hotel? Share your experiences!