“Great value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 95 Kilkenny B&B and Inns
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We just finished a two day stay at this hotel and don't understand the negative reviews. We are from the USA and have travelled around Europe extensively so we consider ourselves a good judge of hotels. While this isn't the best place we have stayed at it's a great value for the money. The owner couldn't have been nicer. He explained what the hotel had to offer and even gave tips on what to see and do in town as well as where to eat. The room was comfortable and clean. Visiting the hotel bar at the end of a long day was relaxing. Just coming from a "5 star" rated hotel in Dublin that to us shouldn't have been rated that highly if we are ever in this area again we would surely come back to this place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Rugby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

My partialy disabled and I recently visited my sisters friend, which was particularly poignient as she has only 18 month's left to live and the doctor has said this would be her last flight. I had booked this dive through Bookings.com however I did not read the reveiws first. The site states it is "disabled freindly" so I booked 1 night for a double room with 1 single and double bed, it was nearer than staying at my usual in Dublin so we would be near her freind and as this place looked big and I assumed it would have a lift. I phoned them to ask if they had a room with a shower only and stated that my sister could not climb into a bath, the person said no problem. Later that day I decided to book a second night to fit in with our departure on the Sunday flight home. On our arrival we parked the hire car in the 3 disabled bays opposite the Reception, we reported to the desk and rang for the owner who was playing at being the consierge. He said Mr ....... I presume and then proclaimed not to have taken the payment yet, although I had recieved my reciept from Booking.com. So I handed my prepaid travel casrd over because I knew he wouldn't recieve another payment because you can only spend what you have topped up the card with, there is no credit facility available and it went through which must have given him great satisfaction he had duped another guest. He said "I had put you in room14 but I didn't know she couldn't climb the stars,so I will give you room1" it was dirty but because it was late evening we decided not to get a refund and find somewhere else. The lighting was 2 table lights and 1 standard lamp which the shade was held together by masking tape, there was a dustweb next to the lamp and all sockets were behind furniture including the wardrobe,there was a single and double beds with 3 single duvets, as this room was designed for 3 mostly all the avaiable sockets needed to recharge fones etc had lamps plugged in them and the telly socket was behind the w/robe. There was a shower/over bath,with scum around the bath sealer, pubic hair in the both plugholes,a rusted handrail. I decided not to shower because of other peoples dirt, my sister had a shower outside the bath using all but 1 towel,we gave our breakfast request of the full irish buffet as stated and decided on a tray b/fast on Sunday to which we had to state our requirements,which he noted and said that it would be left in the lobby (opposite the general toilets) for us (ugh). My sis needed the toilet at 2am and had she been proper disabled this would mean that both of us would have gotten dressed and go to the toilet in the general toilets area.There was no free wifi as stated because I wanted to discuss the previous payment with this man. The b/fast consisted of 1 cherry tomato 2 chipolatas baked beans 2 rashers of bacon an egg served by a serving wench old enough to be his wife (no gloves)and self service toast. We returned at night to the public bar before going to bed and the desk was still unmanned. We took our delicious(not)tray there were 3 slices of gouda cheese and no bread as ordered. Tea bags etc and suprisingly! fresh milk in a jug. we just had a few things and hurridly left this disgusting establishment. I will return here at somestage had make him very aware how much his place spoilt our holiday and was a big disappointment to both of us.

Room Tip: Do not stay here, try a tent to get the same experience.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Stayed here two weeks ago with a friend. We really enjoyed our stay. Room was basic but nice and very clean. Great value for money. Big car park available. The hotel bar is lovely with alot of locals drinking there. Bar staff very friendly, we ventured down to the city for food and a few drinks but ended up coming back to the hotel bar and had a great time with the locals! I would recommend this hotel and dont understand previous bad reviews as our stay was pleasant from start to finish

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

On arrival large car park, lack of cars should have set the alarm bells ringing. On entering our bedroom in old part of hotel ( new part allegedly only used at weekends) it consisted of a double bed and a single. The double bed had two single duvets. Although when asked a double duvet was found. The pillows smelt of smoke, although the quality of bed linen was good. The bedside lamp wouldn't work and only when I pulled away the bedside table did I see loose wires and insulation tape wrapped around them. There were fluffy dust balls all over the laminate floor and obviously the beds weren't moved for cleaning. The furniture was dated and appeared to be from an episode from "life on mars" and the height of the wall mounted old portable television made it uncomfortable to watch. The mirror on the wall above the dressing table was so high I had to sit on three pillows to be able to see my reflection. The bathroom was not clean the bath hand rail was rusty the radiator was yellowed with peeling paint showing rust the towels were stained and worn out. The only good thing was the water pressure from the shower. The owner/manager was indifferent and when paying with debit card his machine malfunctioned and he was over the moon with euros. My card works everywhere but not here. Make your own mind up on that
one. With plenty of other places to stay in Kilkenny we take this as a bad experience. DONT YOU and spend a little extra on a better experience. There is basic and there is unexceptable and this is the latter.

• Stayed October 2011
Dungannon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

never in all my years out working on irelands roads have i ever experienced a place like it

arrived at 715 booked in, accepted the hoteliers excuse as to why the bar was closed and i could not get any food, excuse was quiet at this time of year..booked into room, pokey as hell and with a bed and half in it, not sure of the proper term for a bed and a half, but obviously the owners didnt know it either as they didnt know that a bed and a half is bigger than a single, nevertheless, my bed and a half had a single quilt, needless to say i was cold during night

went and got take away food, which is never adequate, especially when working long hours

went for breakfast next morning looking forward to a nice cooked breakfast to set me up for the day, considering i didnt have much to eat the night before i was sorely looking forward to it

entered the dining room, was asked if i wanted tea or coffee, tea is my choice, asked if i wanted a poached or a fried egg??? pardon?? i would like a cooked breakfast, no..was the answer..no?? i queried, u told me my room was bed and breakfast, the word continental was conveniently omitted the previous night as my forty euro was handed over, which had been advertised in neon lights from the outside, incidently by 8am the following morning, this price had risen to 50 euro!!

to say it was a continental breakfast just pushed the whole experience one step too far..a few bits of processed cheese, couple of bits of fruit and bananas that were with out doubt well past their sell buy date, watered down orange juice and cheap bread passed out for toast

terrible experience, whilst the hotel is a nice enough place, the whole experience screams 'cheap cheap cheap' my receipt was even hand written not even printed from a printer, there were absolutely no embellishments or enticement to encourage me to return i could go on, tea bags in room were unpackaged which to say the least is unhygienic, how many hands had these passed through?? as were the hands of the owner who served me my toast which i couldnt eat when i saw he was wearing no gloves..

apologies were passed when i expressed my disappointment, but thats no good to me when i had barely eaten since lunch the previous day..in all my opinion would be whether to stay in that hotel or not is 'no no no.....

Room Tip: just dont!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Tipperary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Stayed here for just one night, room was fine,however cold, cound not get the rad to work. Bar was also cold...only one staff who appeared to do everything. If you wanted to order there was a bell on the counter to ring and a phone to ring in reception!! A warm and friendly atmosphere I dont think!! Also bar closed at 11.15....to be honest felt as if we were in a youth hostel with a curfew!! Decor is lovely however just a pity it seems to be run so poorly also there were no locals in the bar...always a bad sign.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
kilkenny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

not impressed at all, one person to do bar, cooking, and prob everything else, waited a long long time for food and drink when i got it, i returned the pint due to not poored correctly and the food {burger felt and tasted like it just came out of the microwave.
i was told there was no chef due to cut backs.

i also had to complain about no heating in the rooms again this was on a timer { cut backs!!!!}

never again, i spend most of my life in hotels and this is very close to the bottom

Room Tip: you get wifi just above reception
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Kilkenny House Hotel? Share your experiences!