“Wow, what hospitality!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lawcus Farm Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kilkenny
Lawcus Farm Guest House
Stonyford | Kilkenny, Kilkenny, Ireland   |
Affiliate website
Ranked #1 of 93 Kilkenny B&B and Inns
Greenville
“Wow, what hospitality!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This by no means an ordinary b and b. The rooms are separate from the main house and have their own living room, kitchen and breakfast area. The kitchen and breakfast room are in a lovely glass sunroom. Anne Marie will make a cooked to order breakfast for her guests and the ingredients are fresh from the farm, or organic cooking at its finest! Mark and Anne Marie had a map of the area which provided a nice walking tour of a huge abbey, grist mill and downtown. We also were near to an old cemetery and church where people had died from the famine. An interesting note that we had to check the pasture for the bull to get to it. We stayed in the hunter suite which had its own private entrance. The kitchen area was as we walked in and the bedroom was up a couple of stairs. We also had a tour of their personal residence which is awesome! The house has been made from reclaimed materials- stone as well as antiques and building materials. The home reminded me of a wealthy countryman's castle and had a great room fit for a king. This could almost be a destination place on anyone's "got to see list" in Ireland. We are fortunate to have stayed here and will be returning to see Mark and Anne Marie, our new Irish friends. We entered as strangers and left as friends.

459 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Littleton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our stay couldn't have been better. The location is beautiful. Ann Marie and Mark remodeled and decorated the buildings and they created an outstanding B & B. The rooms were spacious and comfortable and the decorations were perfect. My husband, our two adult children and I stayed in the Gold Room - a great room for couples or families traveling together.

Ann Marie is an amazing cook and the breakfast space is warm and inviting. Mark recommended we visit the Kells Priory, which is only a mile away, and we are so glad we did. It is an extensive and interesting ruin. The weather the day we were there was perfect and we had the whole place to ourselves. Amazing.

Lawcus Farms is an excellent B & B, in a beautiful location, run by two very warm and friendly people. There is a lot to do in the area and we wished we would have stayed another day or even two.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Salisbury, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Ann Marie and Mark were awesome. While we met many great people on our visit to Ireland they are at the top of the list. My only regret is that we did not stay there longer. We were there on June 7th and could not of found a better place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Lawcus Farm Guest House for two nights - May 27 and 28 - and we could have stayed longer. Everything was incredible!! The location was breathtaking, the Guest House was comfortable and Anne Marie and Mark were fantastic hosts. We highly recommend a stop here. Walking distance to Kells Priory and the beautiful Irish countryside!!!

Dexter, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Annemarie and Mark have brought "hospitality" to a level all their own!!!! From arrival to departure, everything was splendid!!!! The amazing house so lovingly restored, our room and comfy bed, sumptuous breakfasts, delightful grounds with all the well-tended animals and above all, the graciousness of our hosts...so easy to relax and enjoy and SO difficult to leave. We can't give enough praise to this wonderful couple. We can only thank them daily (and we do) for sharing this truly lovely setting with us.
If we ever return to Ireland, we will most definitely return to Lawcus!!!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was my first experience traveling abroad and I did a little research with the help of this site, Trip Advisor, about a month before my leave. I was only in Ireland for 8 days and spent only 2 of them at the Lawcus Farm because I planned to get a taste of different parts of the Republic of Ireland with the little time I had. I can't say enough how much I wish I could have spent more time staying at the Lawcus Farm Guest House.

The afternoon I arrived I was greeted with such warmth from Ann-Marie and Mark. Despite the amount of effort that goes into keeping up such a beautiful farm and home, Ann-Marie and Mark made me feel especially welcome and comfortable at their guesthouse. I was presented with tea at my arrival, and after being on the road for a couple of hours (the left hand side- which was a stressful first experience) I was able to take in a fresh breath of the clean, country air and relax. After coming from a big city like Dublin which is saturated with spoon-fed, touristy experiences, this was the closest thing in Ireland that made me feel like getting an Irish experience, not a tourist getting a "show". Even as strangers, they made me feel like family. Especially after traveling alone and wanting to get lost in Ireland, they offered enough privacy so that I felt independent and free to roam about but also provided me with some comfort, being available to help get me situated and prepared to explore their little town.

Every morning for breakfast the guests and I gathered in a glass-windowed kitchen which faced the rising sun and lit the room with natural light and warmed the kitchen. My trip was in late May and the morning temperature outside was still very cold for this girl from Los Angeles. Ann-Marie bustled behind the kitchen counter flipping pancakes, cooking bacon, heating porridge, and whatever else our hearts desired. She was full of energy and had a charming way of entertaining each and every guest. Mark offered stories, entertainment, and even drew individual maps for each guest that desired to gallivant about. They referred to the local pub owners and craftspeople of their village by first name and helped guide us on sights we might be interested in seeing depending on what we desired to find there.

You could tell that they both put a lot of work into their home, their farm, and guest house. They should be proud of what they are presenting to guests and travelers from around the world - comfort, friendship, privacy, guidance, and a charm that I will never forget of the Irish people.

The property is gorgeous, my breath was taken away the first night I walked the grounds. I felt like I was walking through a live storybook with the old cottage, rolling green hills, and farm animals. The sun did not set until after 10p and it kissed the hills and rooftops of their property with a golden hue for a few hours before settling (perfect for photographers). Because the days are so long and the weather was beautiful, I think I lost a lot of sleep trying to take it all in and enjoy it all. A river runs along the length of their property with hand-crafted bridges that Mark, himself, built. He is a wonderful craftsman and his signature work can be seen throughout the 200-yr old, restored guesthouse and farm.

If you want to get lost somewhere in Ireland, go here where it's quiet but active with locals. I found so much peace and serenity staying here, walking the grounds and exploring the nearby sights. (Too many for just a couple days stay). I hope to go back again one day. Ann-Marie and Mark did not just provide me with a bed and breakfast in their guesthouse, they gave me an EXPERIENCE, one I will treasure and remember for a long time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

This was our second time in Lawcus and it didn't disappoint us this time either. We spent there two nights a year ago and doubled it this time still not enough. Perfect for our three boys there's much space to play together and enjoy peaceful countryside. Breakfast is perfect and you feel like home there. We will stay there every Ireland trip from now on that's sure!

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Lawcus Farm Guest House? Share your experiences!