“COULDN'T HAVE BEEN HAPPIER , ( We found Ireland Here)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lawcus Farm Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kilkenny
Lawcus Farm Guest House
You added Lawcus Farm Guest House to your Saves list
Stonyford | Kilkenny, Kilkenny na, Ireland   |
Affiliate website
Ranked #1 of 95 Kilkenny B&B and Inns
Stanwood, Wa.
“COULDN'T HAVE BEEN HAPPIER , ( We found Ireland Here)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

DON'T JUST STAY ONE NIGHT. We, ( my daughter and myself) felt instantly at home here. A small farm on a lovely stretch of river, the host's could not have been more fun. REALLY. No crowds plenty to see close by good food in town,Beautiful scenery. The animals are a treat as well. don't miss this place

Room Tip: We had the oak room , we loved it but hey each have their own personality, Stairs can be steep and n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I do not know where to even to begin. When we left Lawcus Farm after staying two nights I told Ann Marie our wonderful hostess that every place we stayed after this would pale in comparison. Ann Marie I was right. Ann Marie and Mark make you feel as if you are old friends. They not only share their beautiful home with you but they share their hearts and souls. When we arrived Ann Marie started a fire for us and served us hot tea. Mark was quick to call and schedule reservations for us in town at a wonderful restaurant. The room we stayed in (the Stone Room) was beautiful, large and comfy. The sitting area downstairs made you feel as if you had the whole house to yourself. Breakfast is served up by Ann Marie in a beautiful sun room. One morning my husband was lucky enough to be served a trout that had been pulled out of the river that runs behind the house. Fresh eggs from the hen house are brought in every morning. The best part of our stay was when Mark gave us a tour of their home which is just up the driveway from the B&B. Mark designed and built this house all on his own. The imagination and design he put into the house was incredible. I honestly cannot say enough about Mark and Ann Marie. Please make sure you make the Lawcus Farm a stop on your journey in Ireland.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed two nights and could have stayed longer if there weren't so much to see in other parts of the country. This B and B is the epitome of hospitality. We arrived a little after noon, worried that we wouldn't have a room to crash into. But Ann Marie aims to please. We were served tea while we waited just a few minutes until she could ready the room. She gave us our local bearings on a map that she has surely looked at 200 times, and made it feel like it was the first narrative of all the unique things nearby to see (not in a guidebook, mind you). Breakfast the next morning was exceptional, and plentiful. Mark expounded on our local tour and gave us a day's agenda that was top notch tourism. At the end of the evening, we sat on the farm and watched the sunset. Multiple members of the family made sure we were comfortable and offered to take our picture. The cat was a welcome third party into some of those pictures. The final day was filled with laughs and smiles as Mark and Ann Marie told us more about the regions history and the story of their wonderful farm. We felt like we were leaving friends. There were other guests and they were part of the memory as well, mostly because Mark and Ann Marie break down all the barriers between the guests with their welcome, warm friendship. The room was lovely, very charming and the bed is extremely comfortable in the stone room. We didn't see or hear anyone else except at breakfast and when we sat on the patio. It feels like you are staying in your own home, except with breakfast served, automatic friends, and wonderful tourism advice. We would design our vacation around this location again, just to experience what will definitely become a destination point for many.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My mom and I did a road trip around Ireland and our main focus was to stay in cool, interesting, different places. We actually chose to stay in the Kilkenny area only because we loved the look of Lawcus Farm and even then our expectations were surpassed. First for the guest house - it's a beautiful old building that Mark has renovated himself. There is a gorgeous glass room where Ann Marie makes you breakfast. We were the only guests and got to choose our room and also make a fire in the sitting room which was just great. It's a clean, cozy charming building and we loved our stay.

In the morning Mark brought us up to see their own house that he has built himself over the past 3 years with materials bought and collected from other old buildings and construction sites. The house looks over 200 years old and is truly a masterpiece. I have no words for how cool it is and was so grateful that Mark was so happy to share it. I think they plan to allow guests to use some of the main spaces at some point and I could see them doing great business offering dinner at the amazing table supported by the root structure of a 500 year old tree.

The B&B is actually outside Kilkenny in a small town called Stoneyford which was even better. Ann MArie and Mark encourage you to visit the local little sites of Kells Priory and a local mill and they are not to be missed.

This place is a gem and worth all the great reviews. Loved it.

Room Tip: We needed twin accommodation and loved our room which was to the right and upstairs as you enter the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My fiance, Matt, and I recently undertook a whirlwind, one-week road trip, touring several counties in Ireland. (For those of you still in the planning stages of an Ireland vacation, please note that one week is just not enough time to experience everything you'll want to do and see in this beautiful country!)

Along with our small car, we rented a WiFi device to use while traveling the countryside. Throughout the trip, we had no means of communicating via telephone, as coverage by our cell phone provider was prohibitively expensive. This made our 'plan-as-we-go' approach to the road trip a bit difficult, to say the least.

While on the road from Cork to Kilkenny, I conducted a quick internet search for B&Bs in the latter county, and came across Lawcus Farm Guest House. After reading some Tripadvisor reviews, and sifting through some beautiful photos, I was instantly in love! I knew it was a long shot, but I sent off a quick e-mail to Lawcus Farm, asking whether they might possibly have availability that very same evening.

Not surprisingly, I didn't receive a reply to my e-mail within the hour or so between sending my message and arriving in County Kilkenny. But I was bound and determined to see Lawcus Farm, so we obtained directions from a lovely neighborhood barkeep, showed up on the Lawcus Farm doorstep, and rang Ann-Marie and Mark's door at about 9:00 PM! (Please don't hold our boldness against all Americans! Even *I* am not usually this pushy, but the heart wants what it wants...)

To my great disappointment, Ann-Marie answered to inform us that she was all booked up for the night, having rented out their last room to a couple who phoned that very morning. She had not yet received my late afternoon e-mail, as their internet connection was spotty, that day (and they were attending to guests). HOWEVER, both Ann-Marie and Mark then proceeded to go above-and-beyond, by inviting us into their home, calling another local B&B to check on its availability, reserving a room for us, and then drawing us a map to locate the establishment! If that isn't the very definition of accommodating, then I don't know what is!

Feeling emboldened by Ann-Marie and Mark's obvious hospitality and warmth, I asked, "What time do you usually feed the animals? Would it be okay if we stopped back tomorrow, to help out with the feeding, even though we aren't able to stay?" To my sheer delight, they said that we were welcome to stop by, and (of course) "Have a cup of tea!"

The next morning, Matt and I were welcomed back by Mark, who asked that we meet him down by the guesthouse, where we could help to feed the pigs. Down the hill we trod, with me in wide-eyed wonder, taking photograph after photograph of the idyllic surrounds. As we approached the glass-enclosed kitchen, Ann-Marie shouted out a welcome, too.

Mark introduced us to the piggies and their babies, encouraging us to get right in and pet them as much as we wished. He told us all about the farm and guesthouse, took us around the property, and even snagged my camera to get a couple photos of Matt and I, together. Both he and Ann-Marie apologized profusely for not being able to put us up for the night (of course, they had nothing for which to apologize!), and then asked whether we'd like to see the rooms, now that the guests had checked out. "YES!" I said.

Readers: These rooms are BEAUTIFUL. Each one is impeccably decorated, immaculately clean, and (to my mind) quintessentially Irish. The rooms are as warm, inviting, and full of character as are Ann-Marie and Mark, themselves. So much so that, on the spot, I turned to Matt and said, "When we have children, we are bringing them to Ireland, and staying HERE!" (I then made Ann-Marie and Mark promise to stay in business for at least another 20 years.)

Our lovely guides then insisted upon giving us a beverage and having a little chat. However, they promptly refused my offer to give them SOME compensation for the tour and refreshments (which had, by this point, taken over an hour of their time). [NOTE: All of the Lawcus Farm guests had either checked out or gone out for the day, so Ann-Marie and Mark were by no means ignoring their paying guests in order to attend to us!] They also provided us with a (hand drawn) map of Kells, and suggested points of interest to tour.

The pride that this couple has in what they have achieved -- by very hard work and attention to every detail (Mark built and renovated much of the property, himself, and, along with Ann-Marie, worked on this charming guest house, piece-by-piece) -- is absolutely contagious. Not only that, but these two have a way of making you feel that you are somehow improving their lives, simply by allowing them to share their bit of magic with you. I can't imagine anyone better qualified to run a guest house than is this couple. And I can't imagine why anyone would want to stay in a boring, generic hotel, when one could stay here and soak up true, local color, at a whole lot less, out-of-pocket!

On the way out, I gave both Ann-Marie and Mark a big hug; I think you can tell a lot about a person by the way he or she hugs, and let me tell you -- BOTH of these hosts are hugging champions! You really can't fake that kind of warmth.

Thank you, Mark and Ann-Marie, for giving us beautiful memories. We will be back -- but next time, we'll actually let you know we're on our way! =o)

Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our 10 day trip to Ireland, and this was by far one of our two favorite places we stayed. It really is on a farm. They have about 20 acres with lots of animals and gardens. We stayed in the stone room which was a very cool experience. Mark and Anne Marie have completely renovated an old stone farm house, while keeping the original look of the place. Not only that, but Mark has done it all with only the help of one other person and without any modern heavy machinery. Our bed was super comfy, the breakfast was phenomenal, and the country setting was very relaxing. I would love to go back and spend a week at Lawcus to just get some R&R. It was an easy 10 minute drive into Kilkenny, but we spent just as much time in the small town of Kells which is a 2 minute drive away. There was so much to see and do in the area that is often overlooked by typical tourists, which is exactly what we were looking for. Anne Marie gave us great recommendations for things to see and do and always had an amazing breakfast ready in the mornings....fruit, yogurt, Irish porridge, and your choice of pancakes, traditional breakfast, or omlettes. Do not miss a chance to stay here!

Room Tip: Try to get the stone room or one in the original part of the house. The location is perfect for a co...
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

On a whim, my boyfriend and I left our urban hotel in Dublin after staying two nights and ventured out to Kilkenny area of Ireland. Thanks to trusty Tripadvisor, we found Lawcus Farm Guest House. We loved our experience from the warm greeting (we caught the owners a bit off guard with our early arrival) to the surrounding area, relaxing gorgeous property and lovely breakfast in the morning. We now consider Marc and Ann Marie, the owners, our friends and hope to come back someday with the rest of our families. The Priory nearby, called Kells, is the oldest in Europe and it's abandoned. The ruins are incredible and we were the only ones on the grounds, left to explore to our heart's content. A trip into Kilkenny for dinner was lovely, catching some true live irish music at an old Inn called Kyteler's. I would recommend the Lawcus Farm B&B to anyone. (And, they've building a castle-like venue on property too. Impressive.)

Room Tip: Ask for the Stone room! It's a gem.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lawcus Farm Guest House? Share your experiences!