“Great value” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Smithsland South | Springhill, Kilkenny, Ireland   |
Ranked #10 of 19 hotels in Kilkenny
“Great value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Nice hotel on the outskirts of Kilkenny. Its a 20 min walk to the town centre. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Rooms are a good size. I disliked the plastic glasses in the bathroom though. Breakfast was plentiful. We had dinner one night too and I couldn't fault it. Great value overall and I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

388 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Cork, Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Hey guys, Caitriona, Kylie and myself (Lucia) just booked a room in your hotel. We are doing a charity skydive in Kilkenny on Saturday and can not wait to stay in your hotel. We just booked the room a minute ago and the and the lady we spoke to was so nice and accomodating. She was able to provide me answers to all questions asked such as how much the taxi would be into town, the nearest swimming pool and even that they can accommodate for my friend who is a celiac. The price of the room is the cheapest around by far and we just wanted to leave a review to say that if the hotel stay is even half as good as the service we received just booking the hotel then we are going to have a very present trip to Kilkenny and stay in aspect hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Lisburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Have just returned from a two night stay, excellent hotel, staff are very pleasant, helpful and could not do enough for you. Very spacious room, comfortable bed and good food. No hesitation in recommending.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Kilkenny, Kilkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Well just returned from the Aspect Hotel again. Love Love this hotel on arrival was greeted as always by reception team and management with a big hello and warm smiles not that I expected anything else from this crew professional as always. I entered the Room to our usual Rewards members treats so it just starts your stay at the hotel on a high. We had a meal in the restaurant which was delicious a special mention for Eugene he was so attentive and chatty and whatever we asked for he got it without a problem. I just wanted to say reading the other reviews especially the one about things I have stayed in this hotel numerous times to count and I have never encountered such professional, hardworking and honest staff so i think this review is very unfair anyway we are planning our next trip to Kilkenny and the Aspect hotel already

Room Tip: Just One tip maybe when booking try and go for the dinner Bed & Breakfast rate fantastic food re...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel iself is out of the city centre and in an industrial estate. The room itself was clean and the breakfast was nice. We stayed for 2 nights in April. On arriving home from the hotel and unpacking, I noticed two silver rings and a bottle of expensive perfume had gone missing. I had only packed one small suitcase so knew exactly what I had with me. I called the hotel and they said that nothing was left in the room I stayed in. If it were one item, I may have felt that I could have mislaid it or something, but not three items! I then emailed the hotel twice to complain that items had clearly been stolen and got absolutely no reply for them. That tells me that they must be used to getting this sort of complaint, as you would expect any normal hotel to contact you immediately and apologise etc.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

[May I say, right from the beginning, that this is NOT a fake review!!!]

I read quite a few reviews of the Aspect Hotel and many were quite derogatory of the hotel. As usual, I was reading the reviews long after booking our stay and shortly before arriving. Of course at that stage it was too late to run...

Well, trip advisor's inherent weakness was exposed again as straight away on arrival, we were almost smothered in care and attention but the wonderful lady at reception, Chloe.

It was late when we arrived but we were snuck into the restaurant just before its official closing time and again were treated like royalty, this time by the fantastic Joanna.

I don't want to spend ages writing this so if you don't mind, I'll just paste in the comment I have just written for the hotel itself:

"We had a wonderful stay. We were made particularly welcome by both Chloe and Joanna who watched out for us the whole two days we were at the hotel. Two very different people who achieved the same thing in completely different ways – a real 'Irish' welcome!
Smart hotel to be employing people of that calibre – good HR dept...!!
Thanks everyone.
Ronan, Máire, Diarmaid & Eilidh"

I know I am only singling out Chloe and Joanna. We were well taken care of also by Colm as we entered the restaurant and I enjoyed his quiet sense of humour!

When we bumped into any of the cleaning staff in the morning they stopped to ask how we slept!!

Yes, the en-suite was smallish but it worked perfectly. This is a commercial hotel in the middle of a ring-road commercial park. I wasn't expecting the Shelbourne Hotel days after a major refurb. In fact, what I was expecting was a dump as that is what many of the trip advisor reviews were leading me to believe.

Another thing (and this is one of my BIG bugbears) was that there was NO nappy on the bed. Joy of joys – YAY...!!! I can't stand them. I usually arrive up to my room, wrecked and just dying to fall into the bed but I know that if I don't remove the plastic under-sheet, I'll wake up in an hour's time dripping in sweat and my night's sleep destroyed. There really is no need for these damnable devices; if people are going to destroy the place, they'll find a way of doing it whether some silly twit in a suit has specified a nappy or not.

Anyway, the Aspect Hotel in Kilkenny does NOT put plastic nappies on the beds!!! Not only that but the beds themselves are high quality complex affairs, so much so that I was tempted to rip off the sheets to see the label so that I could buy one myself for home. Thanks you Aspect suited people – you're obviously people of high moral fibre

Another one – people complained about the reception, the bar and the dining area all being in the one space – yeas they were and may I say well done to the client and the architect who had the guts to go for this wonderful design which made the ground floor public space very open and friendly. This isn't a boutique hotel in an old Georgian town house; one more time, it is a commercial hotel with a big heart.

So, there you go. We had a great two days staying at the small commercial hotel that is the Aspect. Long may they prosper!!

Cheers,
Ronan

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Naples, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

On our way from Dublin to Kilkenny, in the middle of nowhere, a small place. Rooms are ok, not state of the art ( old tube TVs are in the rooms), but comfortable on the whole. It's pretty small, which is a good factor, but don't take the elevator (you're either on the copies or second floor anyway). Some fellow travelers got trapped in the elevator which stopped in between floors (!) and we were advised to take the stairs. Breakfast was disappointing with respect to most hotels. Not much to eat but not starving. Don't think I'll go back, maybe a hotel in the center of gorgeous Kilkenny next time.

Room Tip: Anywhere. You're overlooking a parking lot anyway.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Aspect Hotel Kilkenny? Share your experiences!