“A 4 Star but not a 5 star” 3 of 5 stars

Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Old Dublin Road, Kilkenny, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Cork
“A 4 Star but not a 5 star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

A group of us went to this hotel recently for a 2 night break. Hotel looks fab when we arrived and the staff at the front desk were very nice and helpful. The bedroom was just average no view just the side of the swimming pool. bathroom very nice.
we went to the bar for a meal the first night, and were waiting close to an hour for our meal to come, not acceptable for a 5 star hotel. The prices of drinks in the bar are outrageous and should not be allowed.
all in all i would say it should be classed as a4 star, could not see why it was rated 5 star except for the 5 star prices

• Liked — Gardens
  • Disliked — Prices in the bar
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

This was the most fantastic hotel that we stayed in during our two weeks in Ireland. Fantastic 5 star plus ! Great breakfast, rooms, staff and total facility. Even the dogs were grand! I would highly recommend this hotel to you.

• Liked — Service and the beauty of the accommodations, lovely and up scale.
  • Disliked — Our room could have had a better view
  • Stayed August 2008
Louth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

While the reception, bar, restaurant staff were wonderful and made us feels very pampered, the restaurant at the Lyrath was such a disappointment as to spoil our whole stay. The menu was very limited and we had to wait 45 minutes before getting our starters, a further 15 minutes after finishing that the soup arrived and was cold. Veg and potatoes with Mains were not hot and the coffee (luke warm) arrived 15 minutes before the dessert. Maybe it was just a bad night but a 5 star can't afford to have bad nights. We ate in the bar the next 2 nights and it was excellent. Better selection, better service, hotter food, and well priced. The drinks at the bar were a little more expensive than usual but not massively so. The hotel was lovely and rooms adequate. A good 4 star maybe ( if the restaurant was sorted out) but it is not a 5 star. It gives the window-dressing trappings of 5 star with the annoying doorman and overly eager porters but it is just a good 4 star.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

I recently enjoyed the mid week "Pamper Me" package with my boyfriend in the Lyrath Estate. We spent 2 nights and over all it was a lovely stay. I would say however that it is more a 4 than a 5 star hotel.
The Staff were very helpful, polite and professional. The rooms were lovely and comfortable and the bathroom was great with a large walk in shower. One point to note is they don't provide much on the Shampoo and Shower Gel side of things. I would recommend bringing your own. Also on the second day, after our room was cleaned, the key card we had in for the lights disappeared.
Both restaurants were excellent, food was great and wait staff were very professional. Tubbers bar was a bit expensive. We ate lunch there both days and felt the prices were too high for food/ drink (a class of Pinot Giorgio was €8.50!) However we had no plans to leave the hotel and go into the town so we made do.
The spa was very nice but not 5 star. When I went down for my first treatment it was very quiet, so I had the relaxation room to myself, which lovely however I noticed that a lot of the white covers on the seats were stained with what seemed to be make-up etc. Not really what you'd expect for a 5 star. I had 1 hour facial booked @ 1pm as part of the package. The treatment was lovely and relaxing, however it started 15 mins late and still finished at 2pm. When it was finished I had a soak the heated infinity pool which was amazing. The sauna and steam were standard, however the women's tropical shower's were not working so I had to use the men's. When I went to treat myself to some tea (facilities located outside the relaxation room) there was no hot water left, I thought this strange as there was not many people about. It seemed like it had never been filled that day. Also the hand moisturiser in the bathrooms was empty. I had a 30 minute back neck and shoulder later that afternoon and it definitely wasn't the best I've ever had. There was no rhythm to it and again it was 25 mins not the full 30. I guess I should have complained about all this while I was there, but I was on a "Pamper Me" package and I didn't want to stress myself! :)
My boyfriend on the other hand had amazing massage and had no real complaints about the spa.
I would recommend this hotel but not as a 5 star. The spa could do with a bit more attention, but overall I had a very relaxing stay!

• Liked — The bedroom!
  • Disliked — The Spa could have been better.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

Stayed in this hotel for one night to attend a function. Service from reception onwards was shoddy and certainly not befitting a supposed 5 star hotel. Unable to understand many of the staff as they were from Eastern Europe with very limited english, reception staff couldn't understand me and I could not understand them. Spa grossly over priced. Bar prices very high. Returned to room at one stage during the evening the find that towels had been removed and not replaced, no idea why, they had not been used. Bring your own shower gel, shampoo and soap as these are in very very short supply.

Overall would not recommend this hotel at the price or level of service.

• Liked — wooden floors in bedrooms
  • Disliked — price and lack of good quality service
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

I stayed with my girlfriend at the Lyrath Estate for a one night midweek break in April 07. The hotel may be many things but it certainly is not 5 star.

We found the staff to be disinterested to the point of being surly. We had been looking forward to enjoying the spa failities but were disappointed to find ourselves sitting in the hot tub looking out on the conference centre where there were a bunch of Diageo sales people smoking and talking on their mobile phones...we felt like we were in a business park...which is exactly what we were trying to take a break from.

The problem with this place is that it sets unrealistic expectations and charges accordingly. I do not know who awards 5 stars to hotels like this, but whoever is responsible sets the bar very low indeed. If the hotel had been sold to us as a 3 star conference center hotel on a roundabout beyond walking distance from the city we would not have been disappointed because we would have known what to expect.

Overall very disappointing and not to be recommended. Maybe they have sharpened up since we stayed and if so good luck to them. This does not change the fact that the place is primarily a conference centre.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

Just returned from a fabulous stay in Lyrath Hotel. I cannot emphasise enough how great this hotel is. From the moment we arrived until our checkout 2 days later, we were made to feel like we were the most important guests staying in the hotel.

The staff could not have been more helpful, in particular, Emma Jayne and Ben both went above and beyond anything that was expected from them to make our stay special.

My wife and I were celebrating our first wedding anniversary and decided to book Lyrath having heard good reviews from family that had previously stayed there. Having stayed in many 5* hotels around the country, we were expecting to be treated well but were not expecting the excellent level of care and attention we received.

I could not find any item to knock the hotel points for. The staff were friendly, helpful and offered excellent advice on things to do. The food was fantastic, a large choice for breakfast, nice lunch menu and Yindees Thai resteraunt was delicious (I recommend the Pork). The spa was extremely relaxing and the treatments very professional. The grounds were perfectly maintained and the lovely walks helped with the burning off of Yindees Pork.

Overall, a real 5* experience and would strongly recommend Lyrath to anyone looking for that special break.

• Liked — Hard to pick 1 but the staff really were that bit special.
  • Disliked — Can't fault a single thing.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre? Share your experiences!