“Lovely Birthday weekend in Lyrath” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Old Dublin Road, Kilkenny, Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ireland
“Lovely Birthday weekend in Lyrath”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed for a weekend 15th November and had a lovely time. When we booked we requested smoking room and when we arrived we were informed it was no smoking hotel....began to panic a bit but within a few minutes we were allocated room with covered balcony which was lovely with nice view (4th floor)..... Very comfortable room nice touch was bottle of wine in room on arrival only downside no fridge in room excellent shower......... Tuppers bar food was excellent ......Breakfast was excellent........ Also ate in la Perla food was great but we felt expensive for what we got. Would return at the drop of a hat but probably for special occassions only

Room Tip: lovly views from 4th floor
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear Igatteridge

Thank you very Much for taking the time to share your feedback with us following a recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate again in the near future.

Iain Gray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Co. Kildare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I brought my Mam here for her 70th Birthday in June 2013, It is a very beautiful hotel, the staff are lovely and we had a great time. The package I booked included spa treatments, afternoon tea and dinner.
Afternoon tea was fab, spa beautiful, unfortunately the dinner was not the same, set menu very poor, and not very tasty.
Visit this hotel it is well worth it, just don't include dinner in your options.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear Bernadette P,

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities,and service to be excellent throughout.

I also note your comments regarding dinner and that you felt required additional attention. I would really like to discuss these points with you personally, please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We recently got married in Lyrath and it was the most amazing day ever. When we arrived at Lyrath over a year ago to look at it as a possible venue for our wedding we fell in love with the place straight away and didn't look at anywhere else after that. We opted for an all inclusive winter package so everything was already included and very little to do but Dervla and Gill on the events team were there to answer any query we had no matter how big or small. We arrived down the day before our wedding, we were given the bridal suite for the entire stay which was the most amazing room I have ever stayed in! After our rehearsal we had an area reserved in the bar upstairs with finger food which was great way to start the weekend. On the day of the wedding we all got ready in the hotel which was perfect. After the ceremony we arrived back to the old house to be greeted by Terry and Iain who brought us in to a lovely little private room with champange to relax for a few minutes and the after photos we were brought into our guests at the drinks reception who all looked to be having a great time, then we were called for the meal which was absolutely amazing, every guest at the wedding said it was the nicest food they had at a wedding so we were delighted to hear. All our guests had nothing but compliments from the day which was fantastic to hear. I can not recommend the Lyrath highly enough for a wedding or any other reason for a celebration!

Dear Holiday 0908

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your Wedding celebrations Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities, food and service to be excellent throughout. I have passed on your very kind comments to Dervla Gill and Ian and they have asked me to pass on thier best wishes.

Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Just back from a night away in this hotel, and having never reviewed anywhere on trip adviser before, I feel compelled to share my disappointment with the Lyrath.

1. As per many other reviews, our room was not ready on arrival.

2. We had phoned prior to our arrival to ask if they were showing the Ireland v New Zealand match in the bar at 2pm. They said they would show it in the X Bar. When we arrived and enquired about this again, it caused a lot of confusion at the reception, but they finally agreed to show the match. We then ordered food in another bar (tuppers). 10 mins prior to kick off I noted the X bar (only bar with a tv!) was still locked with nobody inside. When I went to the reception desk to enquire about this again, they said that the Tv in that bar had exploded and that they were trying to fix this. This was obviously untrue as I had just attempted to enter this bar and the door was locked, nobody inside, with an intact tv hanging on the wall. (We also found this tv to be working perfectly later in the evening!).

3. We then asked to be shown to our room, as we wanted to watch the match there. Our room was still not available, so following my suggestion to bring us to an alternative room, they reluctantly agreed. Having ordered food and drink for lunch, which we had not finished, we wished to bring this to our room. We were told we could only bring our drinks, but not our food.

4. The spa is only very average. Our treatments were very enjoyable, but the facilities themselves are far from 5*.

5. When we arrived to the main restaurant for a four course dinner (included in our package) at 8.30pm, having booked this directly with the hotel reception, we were told that this restaurant was closed, and the only food available was in the oriental restaurant on site. The food and service here were substandard.

6. On check out we were asked how our stay went, and we voiced the above issues. These were met with unapologetic disinterest.

Bottom line - I would not recommend staying here as a 5* treat. Most 4* hotels I have stayed in outperform the Lyrath in almost every possible way.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sputi

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a recent Visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay were not entirely to your satisfaction and I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail.

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Lyrath hotel last weekend and I must say it was very pleasant. We were greeted with a very friendly and helpful staff and our luggage was taken to our room by a very nice porter called Tom. Our room was lovely. Very big and spacious with a huge bed and lovely bathroom also a great country side view. The spa was great and my Mrs really enjoyed it. The restaurant (La Perlas) was very nice and we both thought our meals were lovely and the service was great. In the mornings the breakfast was excellent too with plenty of choice. Over all I can say that out stay was very pleasant and I would defiantly recommend this lovely countryside retreat to anyone. Very nice staff and felt very welcomed. A very nice weekend.

Room Tip: We asked for a nice room and we were not disappointed
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear Jim P

Nantwich, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights recently, for a friends party! Not been this looked after at hotel in years! The receptionist Who i think was called Cara was a real help, and very professional! The food was 10/10 couldn't ask for more, with excellent service! Terry the manager was looking after us,making sure we had everything we needed! The bed rooms were brilliant for our delicate heads the next day! Just a shame we only stayed for 2 nights, Would recommend this place over anywhere in Kilkenny! Thanks again to all the staff for making my friends birthday one to remember!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Fraser L

Ruabon, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I was visiting Ireland with my better half for a friends wedding and couldn’t not get a room at the place I usually stay, so one of my friends suggested the Lyrath Estate. I don't think I could thank my friend enough!!

The estate and the building are amazing, picturesque and beautiful and the staff are so friendly is it untrue, full Irish hospitality, with a special mention to Tom the doorman and Jess on reception who honestly could not do enough for us.

Highly recommended and will now always be my first choice! I hope to see you all again soon!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Scott K

Best wishes

Been to Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre? Share your experiences!