“The Celtic Tiger is still breathing” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Old Dublin Road, Kilkenny, Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“The Celtic Tiger is still breathing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

If memory serves me correctly, this Hotel was built during the Celtic Tiger. Though the expression 'celtic tiger' has become something of a dirty word, we should remember that some great things happened during this era. The lyrath estate is one such example. It is opulent and elegant and unlike some Hotels during the CT era the staff are extremely friendly and attentive.
The mgr Elaine is fantastic - very approachable and very eager to ensure that the guests have a great time.
The food is simply excellent - from the bar to the restauarnt. We travelled with our 4 children. Ages 11 - 3. If they wanted something that was'nt on the menu the staff did their very best to accomodate.
There is loads to do - unlike a previous reviewer who stated that its "a bit boring". It could only be described as a little boring if you dont lke relaxing in the endless comfortable sofas, walking the beautiful estate, going for a cyle on one of the compliementary bikes, using the gymn, the steam room, the pool, playing pool/snooker, having a drink, watching TV etc etc etc etc etc!!
This is simply a wonderful Hotel be it for a family or for a couple with lots to do and again big hat off to the mgr that epitomises all that can be good in an Irish hotel. Will defiitely be back.
Brian Nevin.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
LyrathEstate, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Brian_Nevin

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your experiences with us on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us earlier this month.

I am absolutely delighted with your feelings towards Lyrath Estate and the dedicated team members that look after all of our valued guests. I consider myself very fortunate to be supported by such a dedicated team of individuals who all have one key quality in common, the ability and desire to deliver fantastic genuine hospitality. Elaine was delighted to receive your comments, this really did mean a great deal to her.

The team were delighted to receive your feedback and have collectively asked to be associated with my thanks for such nice comments and such glowing praise of the Lyrath Estate Hotel. I would agree with you that there really is plenty to do at Lyrath to suit all ages and tastes, and with the summer approaching we are busy developing other new ideas and activities for the enjoyment of all of our valued customers.

The team greatly look forward to welcoming you back to Lyrath estate in the future.

Best wishes

Iain Gray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

while perfectly adequate period suites I felt I would ultimately rather have chose the modern rooms as the overly large bathroom served little purpose the bathroom was as large as the bedroom... little to fault but after 1 hour trip around kilkenny not much to do so a little boring

Room Tip: book modern room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Joanna H, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Shamelessvigour

Many thanks for taking the time to review the Lyrath Estate hotel on trip advisor following your stay with us in March.

I am disappointed that I did not have the opportunity to discuss your concerns during your stay with us at Lyrath. We are very fortunate to have a wide selection of rooms including the beautifully appointed rooms in the original house, and we would have been happy to have offered you an alternative room type; I hope you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future and also have the opportunity to enjoy one of the modern suites available.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Lyrath estate Hotel in the near future.

kilkenny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I felt compelled to write a short review after having such an amazing experience in Tuppers Bar. Upon entering the hotel a sudden fear grasped myself and our party when we saw how busy it was, however a greeting from Tom the doorman calmed us somewhat........and then the most welcome of greetings from Lara in the bar put us at ease. Nikki was our waitress for the meal and we found her to be extremely attentive. As I said at the beginning, the hotel and bar were extremely busy but service was top class from start to finish. When leaving I made a point of complimenting the bar manager who despite being very busy still had a wonderful smile on her face. Great to see such happy professional staff in a very busy environment. I look forward to my return visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Iowancarto

Many thanks for taking the time to review the Lyrath Estate Hotel on Trip Advisor following your visit to the hotel for Easter Sunday Lunch.

Thank you for your very kind comments regarding the food and service received, and for specifically highlighting the great service offered by Tom and Nikki and Lara during your visit to the hotel. I have passed on your comments and Tom, Lara and Nikki were delighted to be recognised in such complimentary terms.

The Tuppers Bar is a very relaxing and informal dining experience and has recently been recognised with nominations in the RAI regional awards in the category of Best Gastro pub. With a great atmosphere and with great food this is the ideal venue for a relaxed lunch or dinner. Of course what truly makes the difference is the fantastic staff that we have at Lyrath Estate.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed in Lyrath three times and loved it everytime. I would recommend going for dinner in yindees restaurant. Standard rooms are luxurious and extremely clean. Decor in bedroom is modern chic. I loved the hotel so much I booked my wedding there for July 2013!! Can't wait!!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Mary 565

Thank you for taking the time to review the Lyrath Estate Hotel on Trip Advisor following your visit to the hotel in January

It is very pleasing to note that you are a regular visitor to Lyrath, and thank you for such kind comments regarding your experiences. Yindees really is a super restaurant, and we are changing our menus in the coming weeks offering more exciting and delicious choices for all our valued guests.

I hope that the plans are all coming together for your wedding with us in July, Dervla and the girls in the sales office have asked me to send on their best wishes.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Lyrath estate Hotel in July for your Wedding celebrations.

Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent four days in this hotel recently with several members of my family ranging from grandparents to toddler.

The hotel was packed with families, most with very young children.

The facilities for children were excellent from the pool to the organised activities although you did have to pay for some of these. The playground and the cinema were a great idea and a dvd player and list of dvds was provided when we requested it. There were also bicycles available to use.

The rooms are okay but there is virtually no storage space and as we were there for four days for a wedding my daughter said that she couldn't fit their clothes into the wardrobe space provided and the only answer the hotel had was for them to upgrade to a suite at an extra cost of €60 per night. They said they never had any complaints about storage before but later said that they planned to make changes to the rooms this summer to sort out some of the problems guests were complaining of. Other guests we spoke to indicated that they had the same problem.

The sliding door into the bathroom didn't close and the extractor fan worked intermittently, sometimes when the bathroom was empty and the lights were off as if it was on a timer. The towels were small and in short supply. The rooms look tired and worn and definitely need upgrading. The hotel was particulary busy over the Easter period and consequently the rooms sometimes were not serviced until the evening time which was a bit of a nuisance but not the fault of the staff.

On the plus side, the staff were excellent, couldn't do enough for you and nothing was too much bother. The breakfast was also excellent and I would have to mention Lukas in particular for his welcome and for the superb service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear MatildaBelfast

Thank you for taking the time to review the Lyrath Estate Hotel on Trip Advisor following your visit to the hotel in April.

We are very fortunate to have such great facilities for families and also for having such a dedicated team who make an extra special effort to entertain the children who stay with us. This coming summer we will be offering more activities than ever and have an exciting summer programme designed especially for the family breaks.

Thank you also for offering feedback regarding the storage available within the bedrooms, and also the sliding doors in the bathrooms. Due consideration will be given to such feedback going forward, and whilst there are no immediate plans to structurally alter the bedrooms, consideration will be given to duration of stay and number of occupants within the bedrooms.

It was disappointing to hear that you felt the room was “tired” and I can with sincerity say that this is the first time I have encountered this description of our bedrooms. I would really appreciate your time in contacting me to discuss this feedback in more detail.

I would like to thank you sincerely for your lovely comments in relation to the team at Lyrath estate. I am really fortunate to work with such great people, and I know that your comments have been very well received. Lukas has asked me to convey his thanks for the mention of his superb service.

Ballyclare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were part of two couples staying for a special occasion for a two night break. It was wonderful. Our room was spotless, staff were so helpful and attentive, facilities were excellent. Catherine McKnight was very helpful in suggesting how to make the most of our time in Kilkenny. Food in both restaurants was excellent and the service was certainly five star. We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Claire M500

I appreciate the time you have taken to review the Lyrath Estate Hotel on Trip Advisor following your visit to the hotel in March.

I would like to thank you sincerely for your lovely comments in relation to the team at Lyrath estate. I am really fortunate to work with such great people, and I know that your comments have been very well received. Katherine was delighted to be mentioned personally and has asked that i pass on her thanks for such praise.

I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We spent a terrific Easter weekend at Lyrath. We had stayed before some years ago.

It was a very busy weekend for them, with lots of kids (including mine) staying. Tom (I think) is the first and very important contact. Makes you feel properly welcome. It's a small but very important touch.

The girl on reception was excellent, both as to check in, and then to bring our huge amount of bags to the room, all the while explaining all about the hotel and the facilities. The same girl was also in charge of the kid's activities and really I could not speak highly enough of her.

Room was lovely. No issue at all there. Bed good, bath & shower nice. Oddly mean with shampoos and tea/milk. We had to keep asking for more.

Dinner was very good in La Perla. Delighted to find a vegatarian menu, a real plus. Breakfast, on the other hand, was like Butlins. Really, people, they are not going to run out of food.

Had a couple of lovely walks around the grounds, beautiful (if cold!).

The kid's entertainers deserve special, and high, praise. I don't know the chap who was running the show but he was excellent. As were Tony the Tiger, Cheeky Monkey, Mickey Mouse and Minnie. Our four year old had the time of her life. And thanks to to the staff who organised the Easter Egg hunt. Little one was disappointed when the bigger boys and girls found all the eggs before her, but one girl (assistant manager?) stepped in at the end to save the day with a huge egg. Well done.

There is one downside, and it may be that the staff were so busy this particular weekend. The staff would run you down they are in such a rush. Waiters and waitresses would practically push you out of the way to get past, and the house staff literally ran from room to room. I feel very sorry for them and wonder what pressure management has them under. The manageress in Tuppers Bar looks on the edge of a breakdown. I have to say the Irish staff were much more pleasant than others.

The feel of the hotel is that it is run by businessmen/lawyers rather than hoteliers, all rushing about and lists and disclaimers. You have to initial a disclaimer on check in that if the hotel has to discount another client due to your noise then you are liable. Interesting, maybe even proper, but a first for me.

Very close to being perfect. Staff need to chill out and remember that we are on holidays.

Room Tip: I think you'll find all the rooms are good.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear SirRoy

I am very pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at the Lyrath estate and thank you sincerely for such lovely feedback regarding the staff, food and the facilities.

I would also like to thank you for the constructive feedback regarding the potentially “rushed” approach to service at times during your stay with us. I am blessed with a great team of Hotelier managers and staff who work very closely together, and can only concur that during the particularly busy times of the day that the speed of service is aligned to the volume of guests that we serve.

I fully agree with your point in relation to the “disclaimer” points on the regsistration cards, these are not featured on the new design and will be removed when the current stock is exhausted.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back and the opportunity to turn the dial from “nearly perfect “ to perfect.

Iain Gray

Been to Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre? Share your experiences!