“Very Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Very Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I spent the weekend with two of my friends here at the Lyrath and we were all very disappointed .On arrival the hotel is very impressive but our room was on the same floor as the pool and the corridor smelled of chlorine and I slept in the smallest single bed in the world . Breakfast was very disappointing.We had to wait for rashers and scrambled egg, the coffee was cold, this is not what I expect from a hotel that is very expensive and 5 star . The hotel was cold and does not have a cosy atmosphere. Dinner was tepid and dining room is large and has no ambiance.

The spa was the highlight of the weekend i had the best facial in a long time. The therapist was very professional. The thermal spa is small but enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
LyrathEstate, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear 12 Mgt

I do take on board your comment regarding the smell of chlorine that was evident in the corridor outside your room. I will of course look into this matter and ascertain if any remedial maintenance is required to remedy this. I have inspected the area today and whilst I cannot detect an odour I will of course investigate whether there were specific circumstances surrounding this problem within the last week.

I am slightly confused by your comment regarding “ the smallest Single bed in the world” as our rooms only contain standard 6ft by 3ft size single beds not a specifically smaller bed. The only smaller single beds we use would be temporary where extra beds have been requested in rooms that do not contain them, this is purely to allow room to fit the bed as the rooms are not deigned to accommodate them ordinarily.

We pride ourselves on a great breakfast offering and it was therefore disappointing to learn that there was a delay in the resupply of bacon and scrambled Egg and that the coffee was not at an adequate temperature. Your comments have been shared with my chef and restaurant manager who have asked to be associated with my apologies for this situation.

Whilst the public areas of the building are extensive and large, this is by design, there are certainly a number of cosy areas within the building in our Tuppers bar with small discreet areas and open fires , the red room with its open fire and period furniture , the white room overlooking the grounds, the X bar and the old house rooms.

We do have a large dining room to accommodate up to 200 guests at any one time, this is related to the number of bedrooms and meeting rooms we have to afford us adequate space to comfortably accommodate all guests. Thank you for your feedback regarding ambiance in this area, having dined in the restaurant on a number of occasions I have enjoyed the ambiance and atmosphere, I will of course discuss this further with our restaurant manager to ensure that we reassess this following your valued feedback.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your facial in the spa and will ensure that Louise the Spa manager passes this feedback on to her team.

I really do appreciate the time you have taken in sharing your feedback, as is always the case the team here do embrace feedback in their constant endeavour to improve and develop.

Iain Gray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Spent lovely week end in Lyrate Estate Hotel Kilkenny. I thought the lobby was too large and very cold - the bedrooms were huge and very nice and comfortable. The food was excellent. If you like a glass of wine - chillean merlot was €6.50 in the bar which I thought was ok for a five star hotel. When my daughter and I went to the dining room for dinner we just asked for a glass of merlot - on paying the bill the glass of merlot was €8.80. I then discovered it was Italian merlot so the second night we ordered chillean merlot from the bar. On the whole we enjoyed the hotel - the grounds were lovely for a walk. My daughter loved the leisure centre but we did not check out the spa. Taxi was €10 to centre of town.

Room Tip: Rooms on ground floor - reception area -were very good you did not need a lift.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mary H29

Thank you for contacting me on Trip Advisor further to your recent stay with us at the Lyrath Estate Hotel. I appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. The bedrooms are superbly appointed and very spacious and enjoy some magnificent views over the grounds and the countryside surrounding. I am delighted that you enjoyed our food offering, we are currently changing over our menus for spring and I hope you have the opportunity to return to sample some more great dishes prepared by our team.

We are currently reviewing our wine offering in light of your comments to ensure that we have parity on the house wines by the glass in the bar and restaurant. Thank you for this feedback, it has identified an issue we will rectify quickly.

I am glad that you also had an opportunity to enjoy our extensive grounds and that your daughter enjoyed the leisure club. I hope that next time you visit us you have the opportunity to visit the Spa.

I really do appreciate the time you have taken in sharing your feedback, and i look forward to welcoming you back to the Lyrath Estate in the near future

Tipperary, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My sister in law and I spent a Spa day at the Lyrath last week. Sadly, they dropped the ball quite a few times. On arrival, we asked a waiter where the Spa was located as we didn't see a sign at reception, his reply was "Down the end". No offer to show us and no proper directions. We eventually found our way ourselves and checked in at the Spa reception. We were shown to the changing rooms and asked to don robes and slippers for our treatments and put our things in our lockers. First problem..no robes available..I had to traipse back up to reception and request robes for the Spa (not what you expect on a pamper day) We then looked for slippers in the lockers, these were foam flip flops and every pair was cold and wet, which implied that someone else had just taken them off. We washed them ourselves and when suitably attired, put our valuables in the lockers, only to find our lockers had no keys. We eventually found the only two lockers with keys and secured our personal goods. On reaching the relaxation room, I opened the fridge to get a bottle of water, there were only two bottles left and both had been opened.
The facial was wonderful, the therapist, I think her name was Suri, was very good at her craft and is a credit to the Spa.
After the initial hiccups, we left the treatment room very refreshed and headed up for lunch.,
We both ordered the Caesar Salad. When it eventually arrived, the lettuce was brown and curled up at the edges, mine was so bad, I requested that it be replaced. Although the dressing was lovely, the bacon was so soggy, it resembled ham. Not good....
This Hotel is listed on Expedia as a 5 star Hotel.....we expected so much more.
As luck would have it, I am returning to the Lyrath this Thursday for a friends birthday. We will be staying the night and using the Spa again. I do hope my first visit was on a very off day for the Spa & Kitchen.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Regina 3

Thanks for contacting me on Trip Advisor further to your recent stay with us at the Lyrath Estate Hotel. I appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback with us.

I am glad that you chose to join us for a day visit to our Oasis Spa, and equally I was disappointed to learn of your experiences whilst with us. I agree entirely that the waiter in question should have escorted you personally to the spa reception desk and that in not doing so set the scene for the rest of your day.

I have shared your feedback regarding the Spa experience with Louise our spa manager, she has asked to be associated with my apologies for the shortcomings you experienced on this occasion. I am pleased to let you know that a new set of lockers has been ordered this past week as we were not able to get replacement keys for the existing locks. Although they may not be in place by the time you return this Thursday you have my assurance that i was aware and have put into action a solution in this regard.

I am pleased that you are returning to us and would welcome the opportunity of meeting with you personally to discuss your feedback in more detail, Please feel free to contact me prior to arrival in order that I can ensure available to meet with you personally.

I really do appreciate the time you have taken in sharing your feedback, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Lyrath Estate later this week.

Kilkenny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Really lovely place, thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Helpful hints for the future...fix the tv menu in room 442 and supply conditioner in rooms :-) That said The Lyrath is a magnificent place well done!.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Sinead H

Thank you for your very kind comments further to your recent stay at Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

Myself and the team are dlighted that you enjoyed your time with us and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

I have retified the problem with the interactive TV in room 442 and would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed for a two night break. The hotel is very well appointed and we had a relaxing time. Yendees Thai restaurant is fantastic.
Breakfast was good with the usual fare. I'd recommend avoiding the rush hour of 1100.
We did notice a slight odor in Tuppers Bar but it wasn't off putting but a bit odd for a top class hotel.
One downfall was that we arrived early and our room wasn't ready till 1600. We hung around and it seemed we were the last to get a room at 1558! Thats with reception pushing it on a bit!
Overall, great spot for a lovely well earned break. The doormen make it a bit special as well.

• Stayed March 2013
LyrathEstate, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Patrickmartinrgn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us further to your visit to Lyrath Estate earlier this month.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your romantic break with us and that the team at Lyrath provided you with a memorable and enjoyable break. It is pleasing to note that you enjoyed your dinner with us in Yindees, I have passed on your kind comments to the kitchen team who have asked to be associated with my thanks.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for what i can assure you will be another very enjoyable stay.

Peebles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last month and I did not want to leave. The staff are the best staff I have ever come accross in any hotel in the world ( I travel alot with work).
From the moment I checked in we were made to feel most welcome. My room was spotless and the beds were the best I have ever slept in.
We ate in the bar the first evening and the restaurant the second and I cannot fault the food & service.
My wife had a treatment in the spa and she loved it.
I have already booked my next trip to The Lyrath and it cannot come quick enough!!!
I had a puncture in my car when we were leaving and the General manager of the hotel changed it for me. This was above and beyond so thank you very much!

Room Tip: Pay the upgrade to get a suite.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JSporlach

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us further to your visit to Lyrath Estate in January.

Myself and the team at Lyrath are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt the service to be of a very high standard. I am pleased that whilst with us that you enjoyed the food in both the bar and restaurant of the hotel, I have passed on your kind comments to the chefs and the waiting on teams in both areas.

ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for a weekend in December 2012. We had managed to get quite a good deal using Trivago. We were really looking forward to the weekend away, we had read some really good reviews of the hotel here. On arrival, we were impressed. However, the good impressions weren't to last too long!! We were given our room number and off we went. Our room was the last room next to the leisure centre entrance, which didn't bother me until we got inside the room and there was a very noticeable smell of chlorine in the room air. As well as that, the room was freezing and the heating system was not working. I called reception for them to have a look at it. They came and said that the system was broken but it would be the next day when it would be fixed, in the mean time they left us a storage heater! The flooring in the bedroom was linoleum, which was cold - the bedroom did not have the cosy, luxurious feel that is quoted on their website. Now onto the spa.....! The spa and leisure centre are separate so you cannot go for a swim while you are in the spa. If you want to use the spa and not have any treatments then it will cost you €25/30. I had a treatment but by boyfried didn't, yet we couldn't use the spa together unless he was going to pay for it. I think that 's a bit of a rip off. The Thai restaurant was quite good but pricey, and the breakfast was satisfactory. On a positive note, it is a beautiful hotel on beautiful grounds. But unfortunately we did not receive the 5 star treatment. I This hotel in my opinion is no way near the standard expected for a five star. I would not be recommending it as a good spa hotel as I know there are far better elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear nBartley30

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us further to your visit to Lyrath Estate in December 2012.

Thank you for highlighting the issue with the smell of chlorine within your bedroom. Further to your review and that of another reviewer I have initiated an investigation by our air conditioning company to ascertain the reason behind this problem. This is not something that has been an issue in the recent past and I am determined to identify and correct the problem. I am pleased to note that the problem that you encountered with your heating is now resolved.

As I have highlighted in other reviews we are currently changing our Menus in the Thai restaurant and have received some very positive feedback regarding the quality and changes being made which also see an overall reduction in the pricing.

I am sorry that overall your stay with us fell short of your expectations, be assured that we are acting upon the feedback given to improve the guest experience for all future visitors to Lyrath estate.

In closing I would like to thank you for your feedback. Please contact me directly if I can be of further assistance as I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail.

Iain Gray

Been to Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre? Share your experiences!