“Not impressed if meant to be 5 star” 3 of 5 stars

Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Old Dublin Road, Kilkenny, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Declan
“Not impressed if meant to be 5 star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed for 1 night on a Saturday and ate in La Perla Restaurant.
Arrived shortly before 4 pm and was told the room was not ready. Left our bags at reception and were told they would call as soon as the room was ready. No call so had to go back to reception after waiting for an hour to be told the room was ready. Our bags weren't in the room and I subsequently found them still seating on a trolley in the lobby. Receptionist apologised but no offer of an explanation or late checkout etc.
We ate in the restaurant at 8.30 and were given a table between two with parties containing children - one set well under age 8.
Food was alright with slow service - though staff were very pleasant and friendly. Our room was spacious & clean but definitely not luxurious.
In the morning the express check out / invoice outside our door was actually for the room across the hall - some consolation to note that they paid more for their room that we did.
Not a bad hotel and no major complaints but disappointing after reading the website and at the price paid.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
LyrathEstate, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Declan 35

I appreciate the time you have taken in sharing your experiences of the Lyrath estate hotel with us on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that on this occasion that myself and the team failed to provide you with the warmest of welcomes and the standard of service one would expect from any hotel. I feel that when service is the question the star rating is largely irrelevant, the basics of any hotel whether 1 star or five star to me are simple, great service great hospitality and anticipation of guest needs.

I have shared your comments regarding check in with Elaine our front office manager and Murali of head housekeeper. We offer 4pm as our guaranteed check in time and our failure to fulfil this should have certainly been dealt with more effectively and more sympathetically. You have my assurances that this feedback has been used to highlight and reiterate the focus n our handling of a delayed check in.

I am glad to note that the staff in the restaurant were pleasant and friendly, yet disappointed to learn that the service offered was slow. We always aim to strike a balance with the pace of the service to ensure it is not hurried, but if perceived as slow we have clearly not fulfilled the desired balance. We are a family friendly hotel and welcome children, on occasion and when we are very busy in the restaurant this does not always afford us the opportunity to separate different age groups out into discreet areas.

I hope that in spite of our shortcomings on this occasion that you visit us again in the future and take advantage of some of the fantastic deals that we currently have on offer. In closing i would like to reiterate my thanks for your feedback, and also to reiterate that we do act upon the feedback offered.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Lyrath Estate hotel in the near future.

Iain Gray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is my 3rd trip to the Lyrath. My Auntie booked 22 women for her 50th Birthday. Before we arrived I had sent down some birthday decorations & asked Elaine Scott if it would be possible to put these in my aunties room as a surprise for her.
Upon check in, my Auntie got a wonderful surprise, she was upgraded to the amazing Penthouse. What a fab room. We started off the celebrations here & all the decorations I had sent down, were up in the room, along with some other treats from the hotel.
We had dinner in the cellar bar, it was lovely, they food was just amazing.
We than had drinks in the bar & than moved on to the residents bar until the early hours.
Nothing was to much trouble for any of the staff & they really mad us all feel so welcome & were so friendly, we couldnt have asked for a better night.
Elaine Scott was off that day, but popped in to make sure we were all looked after, she was brilliant & really made us feel special. She went above & beyond her call of duty & this says alot & this was very much apreciated by us all.
Thanks again to all the amazing staff for making this a very special occassion.

Room Tip: Attentive staff, amazing Penhouse, fab food, the list could go on!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Dollyw

It was great to welcome you back to Lyrath Estate hotel and many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted that you all enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the birthday celebrations in the wine cellar on the Saturday Night. I realise that I am going to be biased but I do agree the team here go out of their way to offer great hospitality and great service. I have passed on your very kind comments to all concerned and they have asked that I thank you on their behalf for such lovely comments on the standards and service provided.

Elaine was really excited to welcome all the members of the group and insisted on coming in to make sure all of you were having a great time.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Lyrath New Years Eve for some spa treatments - we were staying nearby and wanted to get some take outs on our way home. The hotel offered to find us a number for some local Thais - there is a Thai restaurant in the hotel which was given the day that was in it - was too busy to take our order but lucky for us the assistant manager (I believe) overheard us talking while walking by and organised the lot for us - that small bit of customer service made our day it was a small thing but really nice thank you Lyrath! Apart from that it was a lovely day, beautiful location and thoughtful customer service!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
LyrathEstate, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear CSquared 77

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor following your visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel in December.

I am really pleased to learn that one of the team was able to help you with your special request for a take away meal from our Thai restaurant Yindees on New Year’s Eve. Much as this is not a service we would normally provide, I am pleased that we were able to fulfil your request. I hope that you had a pleasant and relaxing New Years Eve having enjoyed some therapies in our Oasis Spa.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for what we can assure you will be another thoroughly enjoyable experience.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We were here for a wedding back in September, fell in love with the place! The hotel, the spa & the beautiful grounds, the restaurant in the hotel was gorgeous, food was out of this world! The wedding itself was brilliant food again was great! Hotel staff were lovely too! I think the price of the stay is the only complaint I have....& that's just a tiny complaint! Will defo revisit :)

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Kathynolan

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor following your visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel in September.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had the opportunity to experience of the facilities whilst with us and that you thoroughly enjoyed the wedding celebrations.

I have also shared your very kind comments regarding the food, service and cleanliness of the hotel to all of my team members who were really pleased to hear such nice feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for what we can assure you will be another thoroughly enjoyable stay.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I loved the location. The grounds are beautiful, I went for a walk but unfortunately due to the very wet weather recently, the underfoot pathways were naturally very muddy and not too pleasant (not the hotel’s fault).

My room was ready on arrival. It was fabulous, very spacious, had all the comfort and luxury that makes staying in a 5 star worthwhile. I cannot overstate how great the room was, the bathroom was amazing and while in my room I basked in absolute comfort.

I was not impressed with the bar service and also as a single guest found there was not enough light at any table in the bar for me to read – so people watching became my pastime while in the bar.

Breakfast was buffet, the sausages were not good, three partially cooked fried eggs were lying in a pool of grease waiting to be served to the next guest who came to breakfast bar – I gave the first one back. The second was no better – and shame on me – I did not make a fuss.

The lockers in the Ladies changing room at the pool were open on my arrival. However, I discovered after my swim and having my shower that they have no keys or handles, rendering them impossible to open. I then had to try to get back into my wet bathing suit and go out to get the attendants attention (my clothes were inside the locker !! ).

I could not get in to the swimming pool next day as the door was locked. I had to walk all the way back to the Spa to discover that the swimming pool was closed from 12noon to 4pm - which I found unbelievable. Even so, a note on the door explaining to guests might be helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Journeyperson2012

I appreciate the time you have taken in sharing your feedback with us following your stay with us at the Lyrath estate in February.

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed the accommodation and general surroundings at Lyrath estate and that you found the environment and room standards to be of a good quality.

I am sorry that you found the service in the bar to have been in some way lacking, however I find it difficult to comment further as you have not really elaborated on this point. I have however passed this general comment on to Catherine our Bar Manager to ensure she shares it with all team members.

The bar is generally lit at a low level during the evening to create a more relaxed atmosphere, we do however have more brightly lit areas and one of the team would have been happy to have re seated you if this had been brought to their attention.

Thank you also for your feedback regarding breakfast. We do ordinarily have a chef on the buffet cooking the fried eggs to order with requests for poached eggs Benedict etc coming from the main kitchen. I am sorry that you did not find the offering to your liking, I have reviewed breakfast with my team and do take on board the comments you have made.

I am pleased to let you know that we are currently in the process of increasing the number of lockers in the ladies changing area, and we are also repairing all the locks and handles as we undertake this project. We have also made the signage outside the leisure club more conspicuous to ensure that guests are more clearly aware of the opening and closing times.

wicklow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Myself and my Fiance are regular visitors to Lyrath and each and every time we stay here our expectations are surpassed. Our recent visit was to distract ourselves from our wedding plans and we arrived on Saturday 16th Feb for an overnight stay. Unfortunately the room we had booked (Room 41) was not occupible due to the fact that some ignorent people decided to smoke in it the night beforehand. Pretty rude in our opinion as its clearly a non-smoking hotel and this room is a one off 17th century style room that doesnt derserve that treatment! As usual the staff were fantasic. In particular Iona and Kara who went over and above to ensure we had an alternative suite arranged. The service from the staff in this hotel is over and above what I would ever expect and it never falters. Our new room was our favourite so far...a beautiful suite overlooking the grounds. The hotel had arranged wine tasting in the cellar bar that evening and that too was a lovely experience. Counting down to our next trip to Lyrath.... thanks to all at the Hotel. S&D

Dear SarahDamien

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel.

I am really pleased to learn that you are regular visitors to the Lyrath estate, and that the team here consistently exceed your expectation in terms of the service and standards that they provide.

It does disappoint me when guests choose to ignore the very clear policy that we are a non smoking hotel, we are very strict about this for both the comfort of all of our guests but also clearly in relation to the safety implications. I am sorry that you had to experience the result of another guest’s ignorance on this occasion.

I must say that I agree with you regarding the team at Lyrath, they are without question the best team I have had the pleasure of working alongside in my career, friendliness, warmth and hospitality seem to come naturally to the team here.

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for a surprise night away for my birthday. I only found out where we were going when we were enroute so I had no time to read reviews etc and I went with a completely open mind.

The hotel is fabulous. It's part of an old house and even though most of the hotel is in a new building you would hardly notice that you've moved from old to new.

The bedroom was just wow! It was huge and comfortable with lovely feather and down pillows that you just sunk into. I loved the crisp cotton bedlinen. The bathroom was probably one of the nicest I've ever seen with an amazing walk-in shower. No stepping in and out of a bath which was welcomed as I'm heavily pregnant. Being pregnant on my second child this is exactly the type of place I wanted to go to to unwind.

We went for dinner in the asian restuarant and the starter and main course were truly delicious. It was all part of a set menu but there was lots of choice so it wasn't restrictive and it was great value for money and was only let down by the dessert which was completely bland and heavy. I would've preferred a nice ice cream or sorbet instead after a spicy asain meal of a minature lemon meringue but perhaps that's personal taste.

I had a couple of treatments booked in the spa and again it was amazing and exactly what you'd expect from a hotel of this standard.

So where was the hotel lacking; well for me it was the little things that I expect from a luxury hotel. We had to bring our own bags to our room. The service in the restaurant wasn't quite up to standard. We were offered extra prawn crackers but they never arrived. My husband asked for a glass of wine and had to remind them after a long wait. We had to ask for more water. The sausages at breakfast were those generic banger sausages which for me is a big no no. I'd really expect a luxury destination to have artisan sausages from a local butcher. We had some lunch in the bar before we left and again, our order was messed up. My husband ordered soup and had to remind them as he was left waiting while I was served quickly. These are all little things but when you stay somewhere luxurious you expect a higher level of service.

Did these things ruin our little break? Definitely not and I would absolutely recommend Lyrath to anyone looking for a relaxing night or two away. As far as a relaxing break away goes Lyrath ticked all the boxes.

Also just to add, Lyrath seems to cater very well for families with arts and craft classes, childrens cinema and a creche. Children seem very welcome in the hotel and there were lots of families when we were there as it was midterm. The hotel also seems large enough to accomodate families and couples at the same time.

Dear Intrepidlady

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel.

Firstly I would like to thank you for detailing the areas of your experience that you found to be requiring more focus on detail, and where the team can improve. We do genuinely appreciate all feedback and I am pleased that you gave us a balanced and constructive account of your stay at Lyrath estate.

I have passed on your comments regarding the dessert in Yindees restaurant and the Chef has asked me to pass on his thanks for this comment. We have reviewed all of our menus in recent weeks and will be looking to change the offering in Yindees in the coming weeks.

I have also passed on your comments regarding the service efficiency in Yindees to our restaurant manager Annand. Clearly we aim to provide the very best service at all times and it appears that on this occasion we failed to deliver, as also seems to be the case with the mistake made by one of our staff with your Lunch order shortly before departure.

Thank you also for your positive feedback regarding the family facilities at Lyrath estate, we have a great programme for children over the holiday periods, and great facilities year round to keep the kids occupied and entertained.

Iain Gray

Been to Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre? Share your experiences!