“Takeaway” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dublin Road, Kilkenny, Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 19 hotels in Kilkenny
“Takeaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Lyrath New Years Eve for some spa treatments - we were staying nearby and wanted to get some take outs on our way home. The hotel offered to find us a number for some local Thais - there is a Thai restaurant in the hotel which was given the day that was in it - was too busy to take our order but lucky for us the assistant manager (I believe) overheard us talking while walking by and organised the lot for us - that small bit of customer service made our day it was a small thing but really nice thank you Lyrath! Apart from that it was a lovely day, beautiful location and thoughtful customer service!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
LyrathEstate, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear CSquared 77

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor following your visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel in December.

I am really pleased to learn that one of the team was able to help you with your special request for a take away meal from our Thai restaurant Yindees on New Year’s Eve. Much as this is not a service we would normally provide, I am pleased that we were able to fulfil your request. I hope that you had a pleasant and relaxing New Years Eve having enjoyed some therapies in our Oasis Spa.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for what we can assure you will be another thoroughly enjoyable experience.

1,275 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We were here for a wedding back in September, fell in love with the place! The hotel, the spa & the beautiful grounds, the restaurant in the hotel was gorgeous, food was out of this world! The wedding itself was brilliant food again was great! Hotel staff were lovely too! I think the price of the stay is the only complaint I have....& that's just a tiny complaint! Will defo revisit :)

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Kathynolan

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor following your visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel in September.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had the opportunity to experience of the facilities whilst with us and that you thoroughly enjoyed the wedding celebrations.

I have also shared your very kind comments regarding the food, service and cleanliness of the hotel to all of my team members who were really pleased to hear such nice feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for what we can assure you will be another thoroughly enjoyable stay.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I loved the location. The grounds are beautiful, I went for a walk but unfortunately due to the very wet weather recently, the underfoot pathways were naturally very muddy and not too pleasant (not the hotel’s fault).

My room was ready on arrival. It was fabulous, very spacious, had all the comfort and luxury that makes staying in a 5 star worthwhile. I cannot overstate how great the room was, the bathroom was amazing and while in my room I basked in absolute comfort.

I was not impressed with the bar service and also as a single guest found there was not enough light at any table in the bar for me to read – so people watching became my pastime while in the bar.

Breakfast was buffet, the sausages were not good, three partially cooked fried eggs were lying in a pool of grease waiting to be served to the next guest who came to breakfast bar – I gave the first one back. The second was no better – and shame on me – I did not make a fuss.

The lockers in the Ladies changing room at the pool were open on my arrival. However, I discovered after my swim and having my shower that they have no keys or handles, rendering them impossible to open. I then had to try to get back into my wet bathing suit and go out to get the attendants attention (my clothes were inside the locker !! ).

I could not get in to the swimming pool next day as the door was locked. I had to walk all the way back to the Spa to discover that the swimming pool was closed from 12noon to 4pm - which I found unbelievable. Even so, a note on the door explaining to guests might be helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Journeyperson2012

I appreciate the time you have taken in sharing your feedback with us following your stay with us at the Lyrath estate in February.

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed the accommodation and general surroundings at Lyrath estate and that you found the environment and room standards to be of a good quality.

I am sorry that you found the service in the bar to have been in some way lacking, however I find it difficult to comment further as you have not really elaborated on this point. I have however passed this general comment on to Catherine our Bar Manager to ensure she shares it with all team members.

The bar is generally lit at a low level during the evening to create a more relaxed atmosphere, we do however have more brightly lit areas and one of the team would have been happy to have re seated you if this had been brought to their attention.

Thank you also for your feedback regarding breakfast. We do ordinarily have a chef on the buffet cooking the fried eggs to order with requests for poached eggs Benedict etc coming from the main kitchen. I am sorry that you did not find the offering to your liking, I have reviewed breakfast with my team and do take on board the comments you have made.

I am pleased to let you know that we are currently in the process of increasing the number of lockers in the ladies changing area, and we are also repairing all the locks and handles as we undertake this project. We have also made the signage outside the leisure club more conspicuous to ensure that guests are more clearly aware of the opening and closing times.

wicklow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Myself and my Fiance are regular visitors to Lyrath and each and every time we stay here our expectations are surpassed. Our recent visit was to distract ourselves from our wedding plans and we arrived on Saturday 16th Feb for an overnight stay. Unfortunately the room we had booked (Room 41) was not occupible due to the fact that some ignorent people decided to smoke in it the night beforehand. Pretty rude in our opinion as its clearly a non-smoking hotel and this room is a one off 17th century style room that doesnt derserve that treatment! As usual the staff were fantasic. In particular Iona and Kara who went over and above to ensure we had an alternative suite arranged. The service from the staff in this hotel is over and above what I would ever expect and it never falters. Our new room was our favourite so far...a beautiful suite overlooking the grounds. The hotel had arranged wine tasting in the cellar bar that evening and that too was a lovely experience. Counting down to our next trip to Lyrath.... thanks to all at the Hotel. S&D

Dear SarahDamien

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel.

I am really pleased to learn that you are regular visitors to the Lyrath estate, and that the team here consistently exceed your expectation in terms of the service and standards that they provide.

It does disappoint me when guests choose to ignore the very clear policy that we are a non smoking hotel, we are very strict about this for both the comfort of all of our guests but also clearly in relation to the safety implications. I am sorry that you had to experience the result of another guest’s ignorance on this occasion.

I must say that I agree with you regarding the team at Lyrath, they are without question the best team I have had the pleasure of working alongside in my career, friendliness, warmth and hospitality seem to come naturally to the team here.

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for a surprise night away for my birthday. I only found out where we were going when we were enroute so I had no time to read reviews etc and I went with a completely open mind.

The hotel is fabulous. It's part of an old house and even though most of the hotel is in a new building you would hardly notice that you've moved from old to new.

The bedroom was just wow! It was huge and comfortable with lovely feather and down pillows that you just sunk into. I loved the crisp cotton bedlinen. The bathroom was probably one of the nicest I've ever seen with an amazing walk-in shower. No stepping in and out of a bath which was welcomed as I'm heavily pregnant. Being pregnant on my second child this is exactly the type of place I wanted to go to to unwind.

We went for dinner in the asian restuarant and the starter and main course were truly delicious. It was all part of a set menu but there was lots of choice so it wasn't restrictive and it was great value for money and was only let down by the dessert which was completely bland and heavy. I would've preferred a nice ice cream or sorbet instead after a spicy asain meal of a minature lemon meringue but perhaps that's personal taste.

I had a couple of treatments booked in the spa and again it was amazing and exactly what you'd expect from a hotel of this standard.

So where was the hotel lacking; well for me it was the little things that I expect from a luxury hotel. We had to bring our own bags to our room. The service in the restaurant wasn't quite up to standard. We were offered extra prawn crackers but they never arrived. My husband asked for a glass of wine and had to remind them after a long wait. We had to ask for more water. The sausages at breakfast were those generic banger sausages which for me is a big no no. I'd really expect a luxury destination to have artisan sausages from a local butcher. We had some lunch in the bar before we left and again, our order was messed up. My husband ordered soup and had to remind them as he was left waiting while I was served quickly. These are all little things but when you stay somewhere luxurious you expect a higher level of service.

Did these things ruin our little break? Definitely not and I would absolutely recommend Lyrath to anyone looking for a relaxing night or two away. As far as a relaxing break away goes Lyrath ticked all the boxes.

Also just to add, Lyrath seems to cater very well for families with arts and craft classes, childrens cinema and a creche. Children seem very welcome in the hotel and there were lots of families when we were there as it was midterm. The hotel also seems large enough to accomodate families and couples at the same time.

Dear Intrepidlady

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel.

Firstly I would like to thank you for detailing the areas of your experience that you found to be requiring more focus on detail, and where the team can improve. We do genuinely appreciate all feedback and I am pleased that you gave us a balanced and constructive account of your stay at Lyrath estate.

I have passed on your comments regarding the dessert in Yindees restaurant and the Chef has asked me to pass on his thanks for this comment. We have reviewed all of our menus in recent weeks and will be looking to change the offering in Yindees in the coming weeks.

I have also passed on your comments regarding the service efficiency in Yindees to our restaurant manager Annand. Clearly we aim to provide the very best service at all times and it appears that on this occasion we failed to deliver, as also seems to be the case with the mistake made by one of our staff with your Lunch order shortly before departure.

Thank you also for your positive feedback regarding the family facilities at Lyrath estate, we have a great programme for children over the holiday periods, and great facilities year round to keep the kids occupied and entertained.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

On Saturday the 16th of February, I celebrated my 50 th birthday down in Lyrath with 22 other girls. We arrived down to Lyrath by mini bus at about 4.45pm. We had seven rooms booked, I had booked a balcony room for my two sisters and my self and as we where checking in we got a surprise we got up grade to the Pent House Suite. What an amazing surprise and a great start to my 50 th birthday. (Iona) the guest relation manager showed us up to the suite and could not do enought for us. The 22 of us started the party from then. At 8.30pm we went for dinner down in the wine cellar. We had the area to our selfs which was lovely we could all talk and laught with out disturbing any of the other guests. We had a fantastic meal/ wine. The staff Cathy, Donal Tom where just brillent. The chef ( Igor) made a stunning birthday cake, I would not have had dessert if I had know the birthday cake was coming out another surprise. After the meal we went up stairs to the x bar where there was music and we stayed up till the small hours of the morning. Breakfast the next morning was self service and amazing they had every thing. Some of the girls walked around the beautiful grounds as it way a bright sunny morning, the others went for swim. Bus pick us up 12.30 pm to return to Dublin. We all had a great night and every one said that they would return again to be pampered. Our thanks to every member of staff who we had contact with as each and every one of them gave out standing service in all departments, check in, house keeping, resturant and bar. A special work of thanks to Elaine Scott for her out standing customer care and attention to every detail.
Every one should go to Lyrath for their special days.
BC.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Benmadigan

Firstly a very Happy 50th Birthday, and thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday with us here at the Lyrath estate hotel, the team remember you all well and thoroughly enjoyed having you with us here at the hotel for what was a great party.

Elaine looked after your upgrade to the Penthouse suite and felt this would give you a great space to relax and enjoy some time with your friends. It is greatly rewarding for the team to be mentioned personally in such glowing terms and all those mentioned have asked me to pass on their personal thanks for such lovely recognition.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here in February as part of a wedding party. I had been to the hotel on a few occasions before, for lunch and afternoon tea etc. The wedding itself was fantastic, the drinks reception in the old house was idyliic and the photos turned out great! The staff were very friendly and accommodating and always on hand if needed. The function room for the wedding was decorated beautifully. The food for the meal was overall brilliant, although I personally thought the starter was a little bland and the assiette of desserts looked quite plain, although tasted lovely. Our room for our stay was fantastic, modern yet comfortable and lovely little welcome touches in the room. Breakfast was outstanding, great selection of foods and I loved the jugs of juice in the locally crafted Nicholas Mosse pottery, these looked great! I will definitely be back to visit and this time take in relaxing break and utilise the Spa, as I have hear great reports about it.

Dear Stn_eve

It is nice to know that you have visited the hotel in the past and enjoyed dining with us, and equally pleasing to learn that you enjoyed staying with us overnight whilst celebrating with family and friends.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the wedding party and the great atmosphere and charm of the old house for the drinks reception. We really are very fortunate to have the great combination of old world charm and great stylish facilities at Lyrath estate. I have passed on your comments to Iain and the conference team all of whom have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind comments regarding the wedding celebrations.

I have shared your very kind comments regarding the food, service and cleanliness of the hotel to all of my team members who were really pleased to hear such nice feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for what we can assure you will be another thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Iain Gray

Been to Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre? Share your experiences!