“Fun tour with happy ending.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the heart of Kilkenny city, Smithwick's Experience Kilkenny is a multi sensory experience that immerses you in the history of Ireland's oldest ale. Get a flavour for how our famous ale has been crafted over generations and finish with a cool refreshing pint in the comfort of our Smithwicks Experience Bar. Audio guides also available in French, German, Spanish and Italian. Come to Kilkenny and discover the craft.
5 attraction reviews
“Fun tour with happy ending.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed this tour of the Smithwicks (don't pronounce the 'w') Brewery. We went on Saturday, so there wasn't production going on at that time. Mid-week tours might be more interesting for that reason. It was still fun to see their equipment and hear about the history of Smithwicks and how the beer is brewed. The tour ends in the underground cellar bar with a free pint. My wife, who doesn't drink beer, was gracious enough to give me her pint. I gladly obliged and enjoyed 2 free pints. Now that's a happy ending!

Note: the tours fill up fast, so it's a good idea to book online or go ahead of time to purchase tickets and then return later. Once the tour quota is filled they turn people away, so don't show up right at tour time and expect to get in. I'd hate for you to miss this opportunity. Also, Smithwicks will be closing their brewery in Kilkenny at the end of 2013 and moving to Dublin. A piece of history will be gone, so I highly recommend visiting in 2013 if you're there.

Visited June 2013

Hacienda Heights, California
9 attraction reviews
“Awesome tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My fiance and I partially went to Kilkenny to experience this tour. Smithwick's is my favorite beer by far and I wanted to see the brewery before it closed its doors. I was not dissapointed in the least! Our tour guide was great and you can tell he truly loves his job. Not only was there historical facts, but we were also shown how Smithwick's is being brewed today. I loved every minute of it and I would definitely reccommend this tour to anyone who is considering it. It is only 10 euro and there are a few times a day the tour is held. I believe they are held at 12:30, 1:30, and 3:30. Plus you are poured the perfect pint at the end of the tour in the cellar bar. It's simply great!

Toronto, Canada
93 attraction reviews
“Very Authentic Tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I did both the Guinness Tour and Smithwicks... And they are drastically different from each other. Smithwicks is very authentic... You are on the brewery property, have to wear a safety vest/glasses and go into where the beer is made and people are working. You learn a lot about the history of the brewery... Both the site it's on, and the company. It also gives some history on Ireland and beer. The tour is great, you get to see the ruins from the old monastery that was there, visit the tasting room and go inside. Afterwards you get a pint at their pub. Excellent guide, well knowledgable and a really enjoyable and very real tour. It didn't feel like a tourist trap which I enjoyed.

Munich, Germany
“Truly disappointing, badly organized”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We did a tour around Irland through distilleries and breweries, and this as our last one turns out to be a truly disappointing experience.

As with all other places we visited, we checked on the net about booking in advance. Most other places allow to do so even on the day before, which gives you a chance for planning. In this case, there was no possibility and it did not mention the advise to call ahead. Then we arrived after a 3 hours drive well in advance of the afternoon tours, and the lady at the reception informed us that all tours are fully booked until the day afterwards. There was no friendly alternative offer, just the fact that our trip was useless. Since we need to go on on the next day in the morning, we will have no chance to visit this place. We are both deeply depressed, as it ruined our lovely vacation.

It shouldn't be too difficult to put some information or a booking option on the web page, or is it?

Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
8 attraction reviews
“Closed on Mondays!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Didn't get a chance to go inside, but were able to walk around the grounds and it is right in town and easy walking distance from the Pembroke Hotel. It is closed on Mondays and we were really bummed we didn't get the chance to do the tour. However, I have heard the tour is excellent and that you get a free taste :)