“Welcoming, warm, and inviting.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Metropole hotel to your Saves list
Metropole hotel
High Street, Kilkenny, Ireland   |
Austin, Texas
“Welcoming, warm, and inviting.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My friend and I stayed in a 4-bed female dorm. The room was simple but not lacking. It had everything we needed (outlets, an hot shower, decently comfy, clean beds.) The view was pretty nice as well. The hostel owner/receptionist/bartender-extraordinaire had really good advice about where to go and was super friendly. We met some nice folks in the bar downstairs which drew us in with some live folksy-type music. Unfortunately we were only in Kilkenny for one night but I would definitely go back to The Metropole in a heartbeat if I ever found myself in the neighborhood again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night in a 6 people bedroom. The room was ok, we were unlucky and one of the guys that slept with us snored very loud so we could 't rest as we had wished. The toilet was the worst part, it was far from clean. The people tha manage the hostel is really nice, so that made our stay nicer.

• Stayed October 2012
Galway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Booked a last minute trip down to Kilkenny with a fellow Australian traveller. The man at reception happened to be proprietor and kindly ran us through the changes he has made since buying the hotel from the previous owner who clearly had a penchant for neglecting his assets (based on older reviews here as well as what we were told by the new owner).

He was extremely helpful with restaurant and bar recommendations, and overall, continually went above and beyond the usual expectation of your hotel receptionist/proprietor. This was epitomised by his decision to clean one of our rooms himself at 6:00pm in the evening when his cleaning contractor had not arrived to do so (we booked with only a few hours notice).

As someone who usually enjoys the finer things in life, this hotel by no means made me feel as though I was ever in a hostel/pub hotel. My bed was brand new and comfortable, the room as a whole clean and the wifi free and fast.

If you are looking for 2.5-3 star accom and service in a prime location at 1 star prices in Kilkenny, look no further, especially if you love supporting small businesses and those having a good crack in a decimated economy!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Took a last minute break with my husband and drive to Kilkenny on spec. Pulled up outside the metropole as hubby loves staying in pubs. When I heard it was a hostel I wasn't keen but was persuaded by the great rate, location and promise if an ensuite double and a bit of arm twsting! What the hell, live a little I thought. Hours later after loads of beer, great company and live music the bed was very welcome and very comfortable. Made me remember my travels and the back packing I used to do and how much fun it was when you found a great unexpected gem. Good luck to the new owners, ill be back for more and I never thought I'd say that!

Room Tip: Well I'm past sharing so I'd only ever pick the double but I did hear the dorms were great f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NickyMW, Guest Relations Manager at Metropole hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
And we are very glad you were persuaded to try and even more happy you will be back! We look forward to welcoming you again! thanks for your lovely words.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed Fri & Sat night here with friends. Great location in the middle of town. Brilliant value for the room - stayed in a double room with en suite bathroom, very clean, comfy bed, warm - basic room but only there to sleep anyway. Proper hot shower. Very friendly staff, can have a bit of banter with them, great service & delicious food. Nice bar to drink in and reasonably priced - far cry from Temple Bar! Excellent Irish coffees. Nice clientele and they have bands at night. Overall I would say this is a great place to stay if your down in Kilkenny for the craic! Did not want to leave - will defo be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Irene - we look forward to welcoming you back. Glad you had a great time.
Thomastown, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Came to Kilkenny to do a course for 2 weeks and was looking for a reasonably priced place to stay - it gets busy and booked out in town especially at the weekends and if you haven't booked ahead it can be pricey.. Walked into The Metropole to be met with a very friendly welcome and when I saw the rooms the deal to stay there was sealed. The beds are brand new and some of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. There are double beds but the dorm was fine. The bar food was excellent and very reasonably priced. The location is very central. What more could anyone want ?

Couldn't recommend the place highly enough for anyone wanting to visit Kilkenny.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dave B - thank you for your lovely comments.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

booked the metropole with some friends as we were on a serious budget. I was not expecting much but the rooms were very clean and comfortable with ensuite. Staff were so friendly to us and the location was fantastic, couldn't ask for better. The bar served really tasty food and was very reasonable. For that price I would definitely stay again

• Stayed September 2012
We are really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again next time you come to Kilkenny.

Been to Metropole hotel? Share your experiences!