“Average hotel...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Northbrook, Illinois, United States
“Average hotel...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

When we got to the hotel, it looked very nice from the exterior. Parking was easy and stress-free.
When we walked into the lobby, it also looked very nice and well-kept.
The bistro had good food and a nice atmosphere. The staff was very kind also.
The only thing that I wasn't so impressed about is that there is an older part of the hotel. The bathroom is very dated, and the room is quite dusty. But, for the most part, it was okay.
The strange thing was that there is a part of the hotel where the rooms are renovated and the hallway is very modern, but then you step into the older part of the hotel, and it is like a teleport back in time. Please try to renovate or maybe spruce up the older parts of the hotel!
Overall, our stay was very calm and quiet. I do recommend this hotel to other travelers, but make sure that you know about the older part of the hotel!

Room Tip: Choose a room in the newer part of the hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Polish first
Derry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This hotel is fantastic - myself, hubby and 5 month old baby have had a lovely 4 night stay here. As we stayed midweek we got a fantastic price (room only). We booked a classic double and our room is huge - a double bed, a single bed, and a single sofa bed. Our room is in the older part of the hotel so the decor is not as current as the newer end (which you walk through to get to the older end) but still lovely. The beds are the most comfortable beds I have slept on (the mattresses are King Koil so definitely no expense spared).

The leisure facilities are beautiful - lovely quiet pool, the infinity pool is great too. Children's pool a little nippy though especially for baby. The grounds are beautiful and you can see maintenance men tending the gardens - this place is well looked after.

There is a parenting/family room available to use with a microwave, changing area, kitchen, fridge which is so helpful when you need to sterilise bottles, store milk and baby food. I've never come across a hotel that thinks of everything.
The bar serves the most amazing food - we have ended up eating here every night (usually we aren't fans of hotel restaurants), beautifully cooked tasty food and generous servings.
Considering the car park is nearly full, you don't hear a thing in your room so it's a great place to relax.
The children's farm is a great idea - lovely selection of animals for the kiddies (and grown ups like me!) to look at - the pot bellied pigs were very friendly and almost dog-like with their wagging tails when they come over to you!

A 20 minute walk into the town (good for walking off all that lovely food!) but also convenient for car parks in the centre and there is also a Eurospar not too far away if you need supplies.
My only gripe is the bathroom - definitely not 4* standard (perhaps the more expensive rooms are better) the bath hot water has very little pressure so it takes forever to fill the tub and as the shower runs off the tap this makes for a very weak shower. I also took a shower one evening and there wasn't any hot water - although 20 minutes later hubby had a shower and the hot water was back.
All in all, I would recommend this to family and friends - a perfect base to explore Kilkenny and beyond or even just to relax in the spa and eat good food! Next time I'm bringing Granny to help babysit so then hubby and I can enjoy the infinity pool and spa!

I can't wait to come back :-)

Room Tip: The classic rooms are great apart from the bathroom so perhaps consider paying extra for the upgrade...
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed in the Newpark for 2 nights. All the staff were very friendly especially Kate in the Bistro. Our 6 year old daughter Medb is still talking about her and cannot wait to go back to see her. From the moment we walked in the door to when we had to leave the interaction with the staff was exceptional. The girls loved the farm and swimming pool. The quality of the breakfast was very good, think rashers which were not salty and it was good to see Irish brands such as Barry's Tea being supported. Will definitely be back again.

Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

What a lovely Hotel, has everything you think you need and then more.
Just minutes from Kilkenny shopping areas, Mc Donagh Junction, etc.
But is a world away for relaxation and comfort.
I loved, that Included in the price, was all the hotel facilities, even the Spa relaxation area and the amazing Infinity pool.
Staff are attentive, not intrusive, and so friendly and willing to engage in conversation, when you ask them ,.
We loved the Pet Farm, and all the facilities for Children.
The Children loved, Toffee & Treacle , the Donkeys, and all the other Animals that are so well taken care of too.
The care and attention to the surroundings, is what I noticed most during my stay, every plant was watered , every animal loved, and given a name, a personality!

In my mind, if Plants and Animals are this well looked after, imagine how the guests feel!
We were so well treated, the food was beautiful and the room had everything you could want.
We never even turned on the T.V. -- we had too much to enjoy!

Room Tip: We had a family room, which was located on floor 3, it was very spacious and I felt far enough away...
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed for only 1 night and were amazed at the great value offered by this 4 star hotel, which even has a gym (which I intended to use, but didn't). The ground floor room was large, with a large bathroom. The room was well maintained. Reception staff were excellent. If you are staying here and planning to eat in the city, it is a very long walk. I suggest that you drive and park in the Dunnes car park, as in the evening there was no charge for parking.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My two children in their early twenties and I are staying at the Newpark! What a great place with a very kind, cheerful and accommodating staff! Whatever we needed or requested, the staff was more than willing to accommodate us. This afternoon, it was afternoon tea and yesterday, it was a glass of wine in the garden. Extra towels, no problem. Ice, it was delivered to our room almost instantly. Everyone was cheerful and very helpful. And, I forgot to mention, when we first arrived, they accommodated us for lunch, even though lunch was technically over. Can't recommend this hotel highly enough! Breakfast was delicious. I didn't see any oatmeal but asked if they had it and I was almost immediately accommodated. My daughter and I also visited the spa which was very nice and Eileen in the spa was delightful and recommended a great pub for dinner.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Sitting here in the hotel now on the 19th June 2013 check in was ok we had to go up to the town because our room wasn't ready. Me and my boyfriend walked up to the town it's abit away it's about 10-15 minutes the town is great with plenty of shops suck as river island penneys Tkmax awear new look and plenty more .. We came back and our room was ready we got number 130 our room was outstanding the bed is soo comfy the bathroom is gorgeous with a walk in shower it is soo lovely the downfall is that the room is soooo warm I was nearly getting sick because of the heat in the room and the window only opens a little bit ..we asked reception for a fan and they had it straight away so it was no problem .. They have a farm with animals for the children to see .. The pool is very nice .. We're only here 1 day and its great so relaxing

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Newpark Hotel? Share your experiences!