“Relaxing, relaxing relaxing....” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   College Road, Kilkenny, Ireland   |
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
“Relaxing, relaxing relaxing....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

This is our 3rd stay in the Hotel Kilkenny. It is a great place for people with young children, the girls in the kids club are wonderful and I cannot thank them enough. My kids are still talking about it!! This would also be a great place for couples or a weekend away with the girls. The leisure centre caters for all types and the staff throughout the hotel cannot do enough to help you. We had a winter package and you would have a hard time to beat the price anywhere else. The food was also lovely. All round it was a great break and I would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010 via mobile

We stayed for work and have been extremely pleased by this hotel. Nice 'boutique-y' decor, relaxed, flexible staff but also professional. The food was yummy and generous. Our Irish hosts said the guiness was up to 'standard'. The spa, gym and pool were excellent.
Conference facilities were also good. I would recommend to individuals staying for leisure or business groups.
Geoff Elliott

• Stayed November 2010
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

We have stayed there a number of times over the past year. These are part-working visits so childerns facilities are important to us. Found the kids club very well run on the Saturday, but very disappointed that the kids club wasn't available on the sunday (except for midterms). Even access to an unsupervised playroom would be an advantage.
Also found food standards in the restaurant have dropped since our last visit. When you are charged €10 extra for steak on the dinner menu, you do expect good quality beef - what we got was poor and also badly cooked (pub grub) - suspect cooked in advance and re-heated. Also the selection of vegetables served were very overcooked and tasteless.
The leisure centre in the hotel is one of the best I have visited and we enjoyed this immensely.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Hotekilkenny, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.
Overall I see that your comments are positive but I can also appreciate that you would have liked the Kids Club open on a Sunday morning also this is something that we can take on board for future planning.
With regards to your comments about the standard of food in the restaurant I am sorry that you did not enjoy it, we are currently in the process of changing our menu and your feedback is very important as we can then see what people would like on our menu.
Again many thanks and I do hope we will see you at Hotel Kilkenny very soon
Kind regards
The Team @ Hotel Kilkenny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

My Wife and I decided to get out of Dublin for one night, and having looked online decided to book into Hotel Kilkenny for a night. The Location was 10 minutes walk from Kilkenny Castle, which was ideal,....however, that was about the only thing that was ideal.
In a "4 star hotel" you would expect it to be to some decent standard, but this was not the case. The "Delux room" we stayed in which stated the inclusion of a double bed was infact 2 single beds pushed together and a double bed sheet over the two of them. The didn't even line up correctly, and there was a difference in levels. The bed was extremely uncomfortable, and the matress was like a plank of wood. Not only that, the room was infested with miniture fruit flies.

Luckily i didn't have to lay on this all night as i spent most of the night in the bathroom, following the most horrible restaurant experience that i have had. The steak that my wife ordered was completely undercooked, and the sirlon steak i ordered was well past it's sell by date.....i physically got sick having realised what i had been served. Having taken it up with the managment team, they argued that it was from the same "batch" and the "cheff" (if you could even call him/her that) had tasted this, and felt that it was reasonable.

I was combinsated by way of €10 sub off the meal......we had payed €200 for the B,B&D. And the €10 was extra, if you wanted steak, and €3 extra for spring rolls, on top of the €200. Excluding wine. So in essence, the Dinner was not really included in this special offer.

In termso f over all value for money, i would have to say .....outraged.....We decided to get a snack a few hours before dinner, and never have a experienced such a poor "club sandwich" for the cost of €11. A bit steep i thought.

Warning to all considering this "hotel"....do not stay here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Hotekilkenny, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor with regards to your stay with us last weekend. I have checked with the team here at Hotel Kilkenny as the comments are very alarming.
My findings are that indeed you mentioned to our Manager that your steak was “off” however this was at the end of your meal and after you had eaten most of it. Your wife did return her steak (which was taken from the same cut of meat as your own) because it was not cooked to her liking and it was replaced with another steak again taken from the same cut of meat as your own. On the same night over 100 guests dined in the restaurant with over 40 people choosing the steak option and everyone enjoyed dinner.
Your wife also came to reception and spoke to the Duty Manager after which we removed her Speak Supplement also from the final bill.
With regards to the double bed in your room – all our deluxe rooms (including Room 135) are zip&link beds – each of them are designed so that they can overlap and become a double bed or 2 twin beds upon request from the guest. The design on these types of beds is that they are zipped and hinged together and they are then covered by a mattress protector and then the sheets. Again we have 36 of these rooms which were all occupied over the weekend and again we have not received any negative feedback from anyone on departure.
While I appreciate that you didn’t enjoy your experience with us I would think that this was maybe down to personal taste rather than the standard of the food and beds within the hotel.
Should you wish to discuss this with any member of the Management Team at Hotel Kilkenny please do not hesitate in making contact at any time.
Regards
Hotel Kilkenny
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

great stay in this hotel, fabulous leisure centre facilities. We stayed for 2 nights; my husband & our 8 mth old daughter. I had requested a room far away from noise/functions & received this. Also had requested a travel cot which wasn't in the room on arrival but was delivered very quickly upon request. Only point I would make is that we paid €300 for 2 nights b&b which I thought was a bit expensive given hotel prices at the moment.
Some pluses - bottled water available for room free of charge - great for baby bottles, or just drinking too! Good choice of food in bar. Big carpark. Beauticians was lovely.
Small points - lift was a bit confusing, reception is on floor 2 but you figure it out quick enough so not a major point. Not an short walk to city centre so taxi/driving easier. Pillows were not great, bit hard but this is personal taste. Price.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

I have never written a review before, but following the recent disappointment of a stay in Hotel Kilkenny I felt compelled to do so. As with other reviews I would totally agree the standard bedrooms are most definately not of four star standard, with old fashioned tired furniture and a toilet that did not flush. The biggest disappointment however was the unfriendly staff, and general non welcome extended to children in a hotel that markets itself as child friendly. Sure they have a kids club, but as a mother of a 3 year old who likes to share their hotel break with my child, this was not the right hotel choice for me. On the way into the bar my daughter was told to keep quiet as the match was on, and she had not even spoken at this stage!!

Also the package we went for had dinner included, but this dinner did not include vegetables or any side orders. I did intend to voice my disappointment to the staff on check out, but I was not asked how I found my stay, which as it turns out was typical of this hotel as the staff dont seem to care!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Hotekilkenny, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review, with regards to your toilet not flushing I would ask if you mentioned this to anyone at anytime over your stay as we have a maintenance Manager that is on call at all times and so we would have been able to fix your toilet straight away. However I do apologise that this was not perfect on your arrival into your bedroom.
With regards to your comments about our Hotel not being Child Friendly, as you were aware we do cater for all children here in Hotel Kilkenny and have the Famous Kids Club which have a fantastic number of repeat guests and this is available for all children from 4-12years. We also have a separate kids pool within our Active Club and also have an extensive list of babysitters that are not only qualified to mind children but are also all Garda vetted. All of the above would have been mentioned to you when booking your room via the confirmation letter and also on your Guest Information letter on arrival and also on our Website under Kids Club page.
Hotel Kilkenny have a very loyal base of repeat regular Guests that specifically return due to the friendly, relaxed and special atmosphere that we have here. I am dissapointed that your 3 year old was not happy and you were unable to sit with them in the Bar late in the evenings.
Our Dinner menu has also just been changed and we feel delivers great value for money, some vegetables are available with your main course with additional vegetables available on request.
Should you wish to discuss anything further with us at Hotel Kilkenny please do not hesitate in contacting us directly at reservations@hotelkilkenny.ie
Again many thanks for taking the time to post your review.
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

Its a lovely hotel, beautiful layed out, very plush and posh..........that is until you get past reception and make your way to the rooms which are old, attempted to be renovated but still resemble old hotel style. There is new furniture but the bathroom is something you expect to find in an old 3* hotel. Noise from the corridors is very bad, even from people trying to be quiet. The fan in the bathroom would give a helicopter a challenge, and the neighbours fan was enough to keep anyone awake. The leisure centre gives the impression of a health hazard with plenty of dirty corners and definitely in need of a lick of varnish since it was built. Only good thing is the obvious control of chlorine. I was concerned when some guests were not wearing swim hats yet none of the staff were willing to keep an eye on proceedings and advise people accordingly so if anyone is messing in the pool, don't expect them to be stopped. The gym did look very impressive though and newish.
There was a big sense of Nanny in the hotel. A poster in the lift states the long wait you will endure if you don't come to breakfast before 8:30am whereas all I take from that is the inability of the hotel to cope with the usual large influx for late breakfasts. There is a pricelist in the bedroom for items you might like to take home. The entrance to the hotel is all the way up the carpark so don't park just inside the gate and expect a short walk, its not.
I wouldn't recommend staying in this hotel unless you are really stuck and get a fabulous price. It then would do the job but thats about it. Don't get your hopes up too much when you see reception..............

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Kilkenny? Share your experiences!