“Good location - average hotel for 4 star” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ormonde Street, Kilkenny, Ireland   |
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Good location - average hotel for 4 star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Stayed here for a 2 night B&B break, with dinner on 1 night included.

Room, while a nice size, was very dark and the bathroom was very small. No safe / minibar / complimentary water provided in the room.

Our meal in the restaurant was good, though there was a large party there at the same time and service was somewhat slow. Breakfast was average.

The pool area is excellent, with steam room/sauna/jacuzzi all available. Well maintained and clean.

There is no hotel car park and guests can use the multi-story car park across the road, at a price of E5 per night (to a max of E10 for your stay).

Overall, an excellent location in Kilkenny city centre. An average 4 star hotel though.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Dear XshellyX,

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.com. Whilst your review is mostly positive, I apologise sincerely if we did not meet your expectations, in every way, on this occasion.

I hope that you could see fit to return to the Ormonde in the future and please conact me personally if you wish to do so, so that I can extend you every courtesy.

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

My family group stayed at this hotel for one night on a trip across Ireland. We had 4 double rooms and one single. The rooms are decorated in a modern style and are spacious. The bathrooms are large by European standards and it is nice that there is a bath and shower. We arrived late afternoon, 4:30, and our rooms were not ready. Unfortunately, one of our members was ill and had to wait for 40 minutes in the lobby before a room was ready. (Check in was supposed to be after 3 PM). That is the only complaint I would have regarding the hotel. The location is good and an easy walk to most sites. The breakfast was good but I can't comment on the food other than breakfast as we did not eat there or use the spa facilities. I would love to come back here and stay a few days to enjoy the spa and food.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
colinahern, General Manager at Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Dear tybeegirlOhio,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor.com.

It was great to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay. Next time you return I'm sure you will enjoy our Spa and leisure facilities.

DUBLIN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel mid august 2011. The hotel is very well situated and so central. A bit pricey compared to any other I priced but it was a last minute thing. I stayed with my husband and two daughters 10yrs. and 6yrs. One thing I want to point out is there is no parking in the hotel so you can park in the shopping centre car park accorss the street which is fine but to my suprise the hotel don't pay for the parking at all. Food in the hotel is lovely in the restaurant and bar. Also the breakfast is lovely and has a wide variety. One thing I have to mention was that there was wedding on when we were there and the staff were very busy and your kept waiting a while to be served breakfast or to check in. The swimming pool is across the street but the hotel has an underground tunnel so its ok to walk accross to in flip flops. The kids club is free and brillant with a large room with a bouncy castle and lots of games that are supervised. Kids are also allowded to stay in the bar late once there behaved which is great. hehehe. Kilkenny itself is a great town but not for kids. Every pub with went into for a drink before dinner was full of stags and hens so not for kids at all. All in all lovely hotel but too pricey for what you get and hotel for kids but city not.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front are very noisey
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear KERRY6,

Thank you for posting your review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I'm delighetd to read that you enjoyed our food, location and childrens facilities. I was disappointed to read, though, that you were inconvenienced in any way, by a function in the Hotel and I assure you that this is certainly not the norm here.

Although, we do not cover the total cost of the car-parking in the multi-story directly accross from us we do subsidise it quite significantly. I'm sure you'll agree that it's a small inconvenience, to have such a prime City Centre location.

I really hope that it would not put you off returning to us in the future.

Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Its actually my 2nd time staying there. A really nice hotel with lots of plush features. Spacious rooms and nice bar food. Overall highly recommened, and great value. €80 room only between 2 not bad at all....

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Frodo2323,

I'm delighted that you have returned and enjoyed your stay once more. Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

County Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The hotel was central to everything, decorated brilliantly yet comfortable loved the art work on the walls, the staff were so accomodating and friendly, ready to help with everything, the rooms were spotless and very cosy, and the food from the restaurant was absolutely gourmet, we will be returning for our next break sooner rather than later.

Keep up the work guys.
Elaine Pierce
Lucan

Dear Elaine P,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and our food. We have buit up our collection of art work over the last 10 years and I was delighetd that you appreciated it.

I look forward to your return.

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

The Kilkenny Ormonde is a lovely hotel. Upon arrival I was greeted by probably the most friendly staff I have experienced to date on a business trip.
I was originally booked in for one week but liked the hotel so much I stayed for a second!
The free tea/coffee and wait for it...Baileys coffee was a great touch (I hate having to pay for a cup of tea and here, I didn't have to!).

It's a great family hotel, with a lovely leisure centre and spa. It had a lovely atmosphere with lots of families staying (even had a kids club!) and had entertainment in the evenings, which was great, as I didn't have to go anywhere else after a long day's work!

All in all, I will definitely be back-and next time I will be making it a holiday instead of business!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Dear Alison R,

It was great to read your review and I'm really glad that our hotel has met your business needs.

I have to agree that the Bailey's coffees are delicious.

I look forward to welcoming you back for a holiday the next time.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed at the Ormonde last weekend and we had a great stay overall.
The staff at this hotel are lovely and very helpful. We had a lovely girl greet us at reception as we checked in and also as we checked out.
The rooms were very clean and spacious, we had a lovely room on the top floor. The only bad thing I can say about the room was that it was very warm and the pillows were very hard but it would not stop me coming back
The carpark is directly across the rd from the hotel and costs 5 euro per night for hotel guests.
We did not eat in the hotel so I can't comment on the food, but next time we will.
Overall we would recommend this hotel

Dear Keegan_80,

Thank you for posting your review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor.com.

It was great to read that you had an enjoyable weekend and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Been to Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel? Share your experiences!