“Excellent food but service so bad we'll never return” 2 of 5 stars

+353 56 7765133
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #49 of 134 restaurants in Kilkenny
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Duluth, Minnesota
“Excellent food but service so bad we'll never return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This restaurant was recommended by the front desk staff at our hotel and the food was excellent, probably the best tasting, most beautifully presented dishes we ate on our 10 day trip through Ireland. The service here was the worst. It wasn't busy when we arrived as we were on the early side of dinner. Lots of empty tables for the first hour of our visit. The waiter was unfriendly, rolled his eyes at our selections when we ordered and interacted with us as little as possible. I was part of a foursome and we are friendly, low key and pretty easily satisfied. In my ratings I tend to rate high very easily and I have never sent food back or asked for sauce on the side. We were treated like a bother and much differently than the tables around us full of local looking couples. It was disconcerting and sad considering the quality of the food but we will not be returning or recommending this restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

68% Recommend
Dublin, Ireland
“Dangerous barman, inconsistent food and service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The food here was good on the first occasion, on the second the usual supervisor was absent so the service and food quality really deteriorated. It had been delicious before when I was at Langtons to see Jack Dee there in the Ballroom and ordered cocktails as there was a stylish bar as well as good food. It was different to any Long Island Iced Tea I had had before, they are normally almost sour. I asked the barman about this and he said that he was making it with the correct ingredients and it was better than I was used to. And I did like it, a lot. It was only at the end of the night as he made the third drink that I noticed him using a can of Red Bull, which played havoc with my Diabetes all the next day. I dont drink alcohol often as I am Diabetic but I can only assume that he did not suspect the heavy woman the wrong side of 40 had it. My husband just thinks that Kilkenny hates Dublin. Red Bull is NOT a standard ingredient in this cocktail I hasten to add.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Went for sunday lunch. A really busy restaurant. Good atmosphere. food was really tasty. we were really glad to have stopped here as part of our weekend in kilkenny! Although the staff were rushed of their feet, they were friendly and efficent. I would definitely recommend this restaurant!!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“Excellent food and service in a relaxing atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Langton's was recommended to us by the owner of the B&B. It was our first evening in Ireland, after arriving at 7:30 am that morning. It was a bit earlier than normal for dinner on a Friday evening, so the place was a bit quiet, but it was clearly a popular restaurant as more and more people filled the place as the evening progressed. The restaurants around Ireland have an "early bird" program where you can select 2, 3 or even 4 courses for a fixed price. There are several choices for each course. My husband and I each chose 2 courses - he had a starter and main course (Salmon pillow and a cottage pie w/potato) for 18.50 Euro and I had a main course and dessert (chicken stuffed w/parma ham and artichoke with cream sauce and veggies, and apple pie w/custard sauce) for 22.50 Euro. Fantastic meal! We sat at a small table with comfy leather chairs and a view out the window. We were dressed casually but others were more dressed up. The wait staff were attentive but not like in the US where they hurry you out! Atmosphere was very relaxed and pleasant and it was a wonderful first dinner in Ireland.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington, dc
“Great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Had an excellent Irish stew in an upscale restaurant environment. Definitely a popular choice in town so book ahead if possible.

Visited September 2012