“Fine as a base but its not a 4 star hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fels Point Hotel

You added Fels Point Hotel to your Saves list
Fels Point Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dan Spring Road, Tralee, Ireland (Formerly Carlton Hotel Tralee)   |
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
Ireland
“Fine as a base but its not a 4 star hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Stayed here for two nights while visiting family. We arrived after a long drive on a Friday night. Reception was a bit chaotic with only one staff member trying to answer constant phone calls and check us in. The lobby was freezing as the doors were open all the time, dont know what the reason for this is. Our room was fine, but a bit dated, not what I would consider 4 star. TV channels kept cutting in and out which was very irritating and the remote batteries were dead, reception replaced them upon request. As we had arrived late we decided we'd eat in the hotel restaurant...the food is poor...we also eat in the bar on the Sunday for lunch...it was also very poor...steak sandwiches with chewiest steak with grisly fat running through. The hotel was very very busy with families with lots of children running around but it was mid-term so that would be a contributing factor. The hotel served a purpose for us but would not come back if the objective of my stay was a romantic, relaxing weekend enjoying a hotel & its facilities.

2 Thank Naraigh
Fiona O, Manager at Fels Point Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear Naraigh,
Many thanks for your review of the Carlton Hotel Tralee. Your points have been fully taken on board and i have discussed them with the various departmental managers. There was an issue with a transmitter locally on NTL which has since been resolved and I apologise this caused irritation to you.
I would once again like to thank you for bringing these points to light, as it is through valuable guest feedback such as your own, that we strive to improve on the quality of the service which we provide to our guests.

Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Hello, my fiance and I have just returned from a two night weekend break at the Carlton Tralee. When we arrived at the hotel the foyer was nicely decorated with a lovely black piano and nice furniture surrounding the reception. The receptionist was nice and friendly and informative.

When we arrived to our room, we were a little disappointed, not necessarily in the room but the lack of attention to detail for a 4 star hotel and it only had a bath, no seperate shower. Yes the bed was very comfortable which is very important, but other little things took away from the over all experince like the reception on the tv stations where very bad, then I had unpacked and put everything away and was just getting ready to have a bath, when the taps in the bath where not working, so I rang reception and someone arrived promptly but the situation could not be fixed as the part for the tap was not available so we got moved, which i did not mind as we could not shower or bathe,it was just a little awkward because we had everything unpacked and put away.

We got moved to a family room, for just the two of us. The attention to detail in this room was just the same, the room had no bath stopper after all the things that had happened, luckily enough I had the key for the other room so I ran down to the other room and grabbed the bath stopper from there. The first room had big cups which we loved , but when we got moved they only the half size cups, so I rang reception, and kindly asked and they obliged, the staff were great.

The breakfast in the hotel was lovely, very nice, great variety even with pancakes, the breakfast was lovely both mornings .

I felt it was a pity that the leisure centre was not onsite, fair enough its within 2 km of the premises but i do enjoy being able to us the onsite facilities, and we were on a break without the kids so we were not really looking forward to a kid filled leisure centre .
We watched the match and had some lunch in the bar, the food was fine we had soup and sandwiches.

Overall we had a great stay, staff could not be more helpful, the beds were really comfortable, the hotel itself was nicely decorated, the bedrooms did not feel like a four star with just a basic small bathroom and the little things like no bathstopper in one of the other rooms, other than that we had a fantastic stay.

Room Tip: Check the reception of the tv stations to see if they are clear.
2 Thank bigcitytraveller
Fiona O, Manager at Fels Point Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear Bigcitytraveller,
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on the Carlton Hotel Tralee. Your points have been taken on board and I have met with my accommodation & front offfice manager to discuss the points that you have raised in your review. I'm delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us and found my team could not be more helpful. Looking forward to welcoming ou back in the future.
Cork Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

We got a brilliant 'deal' at Carlton Tralee last weekend. We had no expectations at all from our visit - but we were very pleasantly surprised. Everything went like clockwork. The rate stated - no cancellations or alterations were allowed. We had an unforeseen problem and had to cancel our original dates at short notice. The hotel were very understanding and changed the dates for us - at no extra cost.
The staff were so lovely - I dealt with reception and housekeeping staff on 2 issues and they were very courteous and helpful.
The room we were allocated wasn't very big I felt. My husband stayed there a month previous alone and had a much bigger room. The bed was very comfortable. Everything worked as it should. Wifi is a bit odd I felt. It is not readily available - you can however contact Reception and they will issue you with a code for 30 mins access. We must have got at least a dozen of these during our stay. I would imagine there is no limit to the amount of these you can request (free of charge).

The hotel has a good sized car park at no extra cost. Tralee town centre is about a 10 min walk from hotel. We also found there was an abundance of taxi's in the town late at night if you don't want to walk. There is no swimming pool at the hotel - but I think you can use the Aquadome in the town (as a guest of the hotel). There is a nice gym at the hotel (so my husband tells me).

We had a lovely weekend. Hotel was excellent value. Staff were lovely. We would not hesitate in returning. Highly recommended.

3 Thank biancat
Fiona O, Manager at Fels Point Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Dear Biancat,
Thank you very much for your compliments and feedback in relation to your recent stay at the Carlton Hotel Tralee. I'm glad to see you enjoyed your weekend so much. In relation to amending your stay where possible we will always accommodate when we can. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future hopefully.
Trim, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Easy check in. Nice spacious room. Bar menu looked good , but it was too busy there to sample any.
Nice walking distance to tralee town centre.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Fiona O, General Manager at Fels Point Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear Pudseymeath,
Thank you for your review of the Calton Hotel Tralee. Sorry to hear you didn't get the chance to dine with us during your stay. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

We stayed here recently on a family trip, great value 2nights B&B&1D. dinner was beautiful, good choice of all 3 courses, bar was typical of a chain hotel bar, in that there was no great atmosphere of cosyness about the place but good food and drink. Staff were quite slow but they did seem understaffed. we also had some treatments in teh newly opened spa which was very nice, but no pool. however the aquadome is next door. There were alot of families with children during our stay and walking groups. good location on the outskirts of the town. on our first night we ate in an italian resturant recommed by the hotel which was beautiful and very reasonable. Rooms were clean and good size. Overall great value hotel

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Fiona O, General Manager at Fels Point Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Dear Smileygirlire
Thank you for posting your review of the Carlton Hotel Tralee. I'm delighted to see you enjoyed your stay and your meal with us in Morels Restaurant. Your comments in relation to the bar have also been taken on board. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.
Co. Kerry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Recently went on a Spa break B & B and a 1 Hr Treatment for only €60! Amazing value. This is my 4th time staying at this hotel and I love it. The staff are all so nice, the rooms lovely and modern and the food delicious although it would be nice if the menu in the dining was changed every now and then and I'd certainly put a chicken dish on it! Might be boring to some but one of my party doesn't eat red meat and the vegetarian options are usually quite boring so a chicken dish of some kind would have been nice. Breakfast was great, plenty of choise. Tried the spa for the first time and it was lovely. Treatment rooms were dimly lit and warm and Keva who gave me a massage was excellent. The range and price of treatments is briliant here but unfortunately the relaxation room really lets it down. Very uncomfortable beds and I love to spend time both before and after treaments in the relaxation room but after 10 mins I had to leave. The decor is very dark and the main wall as you go in could definately do with "something" even just some voile. All in all a great hotel and I'm booked to go back in March for another girly night.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Fiona O, Manager at Fels Point Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Dear BonnieCo_Kerry
Thank you for your review of the Carlton Hotel Tralee. I have passed on your comments to my Head Chef & Spa Manager. We change our menus and base them on seasonality and will certainly keep your comments in mind in planning our next menu. Kiva will also be delighted with your compliments as its always nice to receive them. Thank you also for your feedback on Herbs & Roses Spa as you know we are newly opened so constructive comments are great to receive and will help us in furture planning and to better ourselves and from the eye of the customer is valuable feedback.
Looking forward to seeing you again in March
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

I really like the Carlton Hotel itself but there are few points that's very important for me. One of them is the treatment from the hotel to the guests. From my point of view I think the staffs from the reception and the restaurant should smile more often and be helpful to guests. My friend spend ages at bar waiting for a waiter to be served. The waiter saw him at the bar and she was pretending to be busy for don't serve him. Seems like they are working under pressured. Such a shame... In the next day i was a bit confused and embarassed when the manager from the restaurant was looking for me around the lobby area asking me to pay for the breakfast wich I thought was included. It was but only in the first day... How come? The receptionist on dutty should explaing all that during the check in to avoid this kind of situation. Well, because of the location i was actually spend lots in the restaurant and room service. At least I was expecting just a little better treatement from them. A part of that the house keepers are fantastic.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank leoramoscruz
Dear Mr Leoramoscruz,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Carlton Hotel Tralee. Your points have been taken on board and i have discussed with my management team. In the case of when you pay cash on arrival and do not give a credit card we are unable to charge items to a guests room as is explained on check. With your booking on room only this does not have any meals included and i apologies if you misunderstood this at the time of booking. I'm also disappointed you found my staff unfriendly this is not a normal standard of service received by our guests. I will pass your compliments to my house keeping staff also. I hope this does not detract you from returning and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.