We stayed there on Dec 27th for 2 nights. We initially checked into room 101, which had a number of serious problems. These problems included:
• loose, dangerous overhead tiles in the bathroom
• a broken baggage stand with exposed nails which tore my trousers.
• lamps without bulbs
• a flickering main light.
We went to reception and requested to be moved to another room. We were given a key to room 214 but we could not stay in this room either as:
• the lamps did not have ANY bulbs - pitch dark.
• the heater did not work (-5 outside)
• there was a plastic fork lying on the ground.
We informed the receptionist again about the problems in this room and were consequently given a key to our third room - 212. The receptionist said that they would arrange for our luggage to be moved to this room and for the heating to be switched on, as we had to leave the hotel at that time (wishful thinking). On our return to the hotel later that night, the room was cold, as the heater could only go half way. We felt there was no point complaining so late at night. At around 5am we woke up, the room was like a freezer as the heater had actually stopped working now. On calling reception there was no answer so all we could do was go back to bed and put another quilt on our bed to keep warm. We reported this problem in the morning to the hotel and they said they would ask maintenance to look at it. When we returned to our room about 5pm that evening, the heating was again faulty and the room was freezing. We called reception and a member of staff came to our room to fix it. However, they too were unable to fix the heater and instead provided us with a plug in heater to warm up the room.
Relatives were also staying in room 103. They were also unhappy to find that their bed was never made and that they did not receive clean towels until very late on the second evening.
The hotel should have provided us with basic essentials – heating, lighting and clean towels. They didn't!
At check-out, we said that we were very dissatisfied with our stay. The receptionist informed us that we had to pay in full and she recommended we contact the manager and she will deal with the complaint.
We have been trying to get them to contact us since Dec 30th - without success. Today is now Feb 22nd. They will not return emails and not return phone calls.
DO NOT STAY HERE
- Also Known As:
- Abbey Gate Tralee
- Hotel Abbey Gate
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Abbey Gate Hotel Tralee has established itself as one of the most attractive and elegant three star hotels in the Tralee and Kerry region. Ideally located in the heart of Tralee town, it provides discerning travelers with a warm, intimate atmosphere and the utmost in personal attention. At the Abbeygate Hotel Tralee, we offer a unique level of comfort to business and leisure travelers in a sophisticated, comfortable setting. All 100 guest rooms are luxuriously appointed and specifically designed to enable guests to relax in the comfort of their own rooms. The Abbeygate Hotel Tralee is a perfect base for exploring the delights of the Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula and Kerry's many other attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia and TripOnline SA so you can book your Tralee Central Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.