“The best of Irish Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Killarney Road, Tralee, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Tralee
Tipperary
“The best of Irish Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We were part of a wedding party and our stay was fab from beginning to end.
The hotel & staff were excellent. Nothing was too much trouble. Our room was spotless and very modern. I cannot recomend this hotel highly enough! If you are looking for a staycation break this is the palce to go.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

516 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

A very clean hotel with very friendly staff. Very comfortable ambiance, you feel like you are in a large house. They have a nice library as well. The bed was very comfy with nice sheets. The room was a good size and the bathroom was pretty big. We did not see the town nearby, we just stayed the night while touring around the southern coast. Dinner and breakfast were included and both meals were delicious with generous portions. We didn't even know that dinner was included in our room, it was a nice surprise. We stayed here after playing Ballybunion golf course. Hot pot with instant coffee and tea complimentary in room.

Room Tip: Our room was really quiet
Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We have stayed here a number of times and it is consistently great. The staff are lovely, the rooms are comfortable and the outdoor hottub is so relaxing. You can get some great packages which include dinner in the restaurant which serves lovely food. The location is also great as it's near Killarney and a 5min drive into Tralee.

Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My wife and I spent two very enjoyable days at this hotel. Now the outside of the hotel isn’t particularly attractive and the landscaped gardens they make so much of aren’t exactly stunning.
However, once you go inside the hotel itself you just couldn’t fault it.
The staff were incredibly friendly throughout our stay and make a big effort to accommodate you. Really lovely people (no pretence). The lobby, bar, restaurant and other areas were attractive and very well maintained. We went to the restaurant on one of the nights and the quality of the food was excellent (with some lovely homemade brown bread). I thought our bedroom was a little small but it was in great condition and very comfortable. The hotel will bring a DVD player to your room if you wish and you can select from a library of DVDs. I found myself recommending this hotel to friends and family after our stay; a sign of a very good hotel.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Lovely hotel with great spacious rooms. The spa is exceptional, an absolute must if you stay here. The only down side was the main restaurant, we so wanted it to be amazing but the food was average at best- chewy steak, mushy overcooked vegetables etc. Even the waitresses fantastic service- I think her name was Kathleen couldn't quite make up for the food. And also when your finishing off your meal in a lovely restaurant you don't want to hear the other waitresses chatting and clinking crockery as the set out all the other tables for breakfast while people are still eating. But don't let this put you off it's a fantastic place- go but just skip the main restaurant and have a bar meal here which looked much better.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
PMcGillicuddyGM, General Manager at Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and that you have expressed a fair view. I have made note of your comments as every bit of advice is a help to us as we continuously strive to improve our product.

I do hope to welcome you back to Ballygarry House in the future.

Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Since we made the first phone call to book a room, we've been continually impressed during every part of our stay. From the friendliness of the reception staff, the bar and restaurant service, the quality of the rooms we just couldn't fault anything. The icing on the cake was the gorgeous Nadur spa - what an indulgent bonus to enjoy at the hotel. Overall, a thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable stay and we'd definitely come back again.

• Stayed July 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I will pass your kind words on to our staff and especially our team in Nádur, who will appreciate your review. I do hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Nenagh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Well this is a first, in that a hotel high on the list in Tripadvisor was such a let down. First off the positives staff in general were good, the place is visually pleasing and very clean. Room also was quite comfortable.
Now the downside and what a huge downside it is, the restaurant in this hotel is possibly the very worst I have eaten in. It is difficult to guage if the food was so bad due to poor quality ingredients or just plain poor cooking - my gut feeling is a little of both. I had scallops to start my partner had goats cheese, I had to send some of mine back it was so overcooked. The goats cheese actually tasted a bit like shedded wheat cereal and looked like it too coming in a sort of pastry basket very very odd and not nice. But the worst was to come we each had lamb for mains which arrived on a green / brown sauce on a bed of mushrooms - the sauce and the mushroom was not edible it actually tasted burnt to us. The lamb was supposed to be medium but was very well done but due to hunger we ate that . We left the restaurant after that and indeed did not stay for breakfast in the morning as we really did not want to eat anything else coming out of that kitchen.
Perhaps we were spoilt having spent the previous few days in Gougane Barra hotel where the food was only exceptional, my partner had lamb there also on the previous night you really would be forgiven for thinking the stuff served in Ballygarry was a different species altogether. As I always do I paid my bill in full as I complain about service when it is bad not to try and get something off a bill, though we did complain as to the standard of food on the night also to the restaurant.
We have been looking for a venue for our wedding over the past while and have some great experiences in Gregans Castle, Longueville House, Gougane Barra, Ashford Castle, Adare Manor, Durrow Castle this place cannot hold a candle to any of these restaurants.
I filled in a form prior to leaving and someone from the hotel did ring, didn't catch the name as message reception was poor though I did get he would ring me again the following day - still waiting though. Not too surprised though hotel gives an impression of being good but then falls down.
I will not be back here in a hurry, and if you are booked in give serious consideration to Supermacs down the road, it will be better and far cheaper.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I do monitor trip advisor closely and I also take all genuine feedback into consideration. As per my telephone conversation with you on this occasion I do feel that the views expressed are not in line the overall reviews that we receive. I do extend the invitation to revisit our restaurant, and hope that you will avail of this.

Padraig McGillicuddy

Been to Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!