“One of the best 3* I've stayed in” 4 of 5 stars

The Earl of Desmond Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Killarney Road, Tralee, Ireland   |
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Tralee
Cork
“One of the best 3* I've stayed in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Let me start off by saying some comments below about how bad this hotel is, are misleading.
I got a great deal for a night with Breakfast so my expectations weren't very high going in.

As I mentioned, I wasn't expecting much but was I shocked when I got to my room. I was on the ground floor. There was a massive bed in the room, loads of space and the bathroom was like a 5*(IMO). There was no bath but I wasn't too worried about that. It had clearly being recently renovated and a great job was done. The decor in the room is out of date but it's not an expensive hotel to be fair so you shouldn't be expected the latest decor etc etc.
It was very clean also so I was happy with that and indeed, the whole hotel was spotless.

The staff are nothing short of excellent! Very nice and friendly. The next morning I went down for Breakfast close to the finishing up time for breakfast. The whole room had already been transformed for the bus tours expected later in the day but I was seen to straight away and a full Irish was got.(One of the best Full Irish's I've had to date in a hotel) I was trying to eat quick as I didn't want to be holding them up because I was late for b/fast but there was no problem. They even got more toast and tea for me and to stay an extra hour if I wanted because they were working till that time so didn't mind.

My only flaws with the hotel are as mentioned in other reviews, is the Location, it is a bit out of town so not walking distance but a short taxi drive. I also like to have a fridge in my room as I usually bring my own Milk(Can't stand that UHT stuff!) but there was none. Only a minor thing, I wouldn't knock the hotel for not having one.

Overall, I only stayed one night but would have stayed another and intend to stay there in future if I am down that way again.

Excellent hotel.(Just those 2 small things bring down the rating slightly)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We booked a coach holiday in early August with the "Ryan air" of coach holidays, Caledonian Coaches. This hotel is not within easy reach of Tralee other than by taxi. It is situated on a main road with the a rather off putting sign on the opposite side of the road informing you of the number of deaths on this road!

Having said this the hotel itself was tremendous. The rooms were spacious,the food was fantastic and plentiful. But it was the staff who were the real stars of this hotel always friendly, smiling and no request was too much trouble. They will really make your stay in this hotel memorable.

So if you are happy to stay exclusively at his hotel and enjoy their entertainment at night and go on all the trips that the coach runs then you will enjoy yourself. The real entertainment will have to be provided by yourself as the old boy we had for two nights needed winding up, he was so slow singing! We had an Irish girl staying at the same time and she went on the mike after this old boy on an unofficial basis and she was brilliant! The other lad who entertained us was actually good but he was only on for one day and the Irish crowd had gone on a trip so unfortunately for him the audience was rather subdued. He deserved better!

This holiday is definitely for the serious coach holiday set and if this is you then I can highly recommend this trip. Our driver was both informative and funny and was an asset to his company.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was very pleasant after reading reviews had a few doubts, but we found the staff very friendly had a room on the ground floor very clean towels changed every day, food was ok breakfast selection cereals porridge and hot food juice yogurt only thing is the toast was always cold but the waitresses would get you some more if you asked. The evening meal was hot and three choices of starter main and two deserts tea and coffee. Entertainment two nights one singing Irish songs another folk songs didn't like that one and youngsters performing music and Irish dancing.only downside the room faced the main road and noise of traffic.overall I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed September 2013
Northumberland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We had a lovely stay here recently and found the staff friendly and efficient.
I describe it as an hotel with two appearances because the ground floor is absolutely lovely 4 or 5 star really. (see photos) The bedrooms on this floor are beautiful too with walk in showers and fully re-fitted.
I am sure the hotel is slowly being updated and that does take time...floor by floor really.
We stayed on the first floor and I have to say I must give the room 10 out of 10 for cleanliness. Clean bedding and towels every day too. We were given a good hospitality tray, hair drier, T.V etc.
I would just like to say that some guests may say that the decor is a little tired....but DO NOT let that put you off. Although it is not as modern as the ground floor it is very comfortable indeed.
I thought the evening meals were O.K ( I am a fussy eater) but my husband really enjoyed them. The staff were very efficient as they had so many hungry guests to feed. The breakfasts were great with lots to choose from.
I am sure you would have a great stay here.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are the up dated ones.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Blackpool Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

A large hotel set in its own grounds about 5 km, from Tralee with no shops or pubs within walking distance. Good rooms and excellent helpful staff especially the restaurent staff who in spite of serving many coach parties at the same time are super efficient and helpful.Evening entertainment was an irish night put on by the local youngsters.

Room Tip: ask for ground floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
east yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

my friend and i went to the earl of Desmond hotel ,just outside Tralee , the hotel was spacious with glass lifts and the room was very comfortable the twin rooms had a double bed and a single the grounds were big and well maintained very nice the food was lovely and always served piping hot the serving staff were brilliant how they coped with so many people was beyond me there was lots of coaches in from England, Germany and France the night entertainment was typically Irish and very lively and in the ballroom were irish dancers excellent our stay was made even better by having an excellent driver Jim and a coach load of very nice friendly people i would recommend this holiday to anyone the places we went to the, ring of Kerry. killarney the Dingle Penisula but the most beautiful place was inch the scenery was to die for i will certainly go again

Room Tip: i dont think it mattered really what room you chose because there were lifts to all floors
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I really tried to like this hotel. I got a great deal on a voucher website but the deal proves you get what you pay for. Very dated interiors. Food and staff are nothing to cheer about. Bed was not comfortable. Seems popular with an older crowd. On a plus it allowed me to explore the ring of Kerry the next day and that was totally amazing

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Earl of Desmond Hotel? Share your experiences!