“Average Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Earl of Desmond Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tralee
The Earl of Desmond Hotel
Save Saved
You added The Earl of Desmond Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Killarney Road, Tralee, Ireland   |
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Tralee
Tipperary, Ireland
“Average Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Stayed here recently for one night got a great offer through Super Valu but once we arrived they knew nothing about our booking but it was quickly resolved. We have booked several times through Super Valu and have never had a problem so...... Reception area is large and modern and clean with a beautiful grand piano, we had great hopes for the room. Corridor to room was very long and carpet seemed dirty or wet we weren’t too sure. Room was very basic, no mod cons, cheap looking furniture, this could be reflective of the price we paid although next morning rooms along the corridor were open for cleaning purposes and they all looked the same as ours, but our bathroom seemed to have been renovated recently so maybe rooms are next. Breakfast room was bright and spacious with a view of the garden, good selection of hot and cold food. Staff in the breakfast room were very friendly. Updating rooms and the corridor to the standard of the reception area would make this a fab hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Based on some reviews here I was expecting dated rooms and indifferent service. This was not the case.

The foyer is large, modern and attractive.

My single room was on the ground floor, next to the front carpark but it was quiet, comfortable, spotlessly clean bathroom, and much more spacious than your average European hotel room. Front desk staff were friendly and efficient. I had an evening meal in the bar which was very tasty and enjoyable.

I was happy that the roomrate of €50 on a Thurs night was good value. I found the traditional accordion player/signer in the bar to be overly noisy and disruptive to my conversation with my friends but non-Irish visitors probably came there to hear that, and I could have moved further away if I wished.

Saw lots of tour groups milling about.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Bantry, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

My Mom and 2 Sisters stayed here on a midweek break we arrived on a Sunday and had our Dinner there that evening, big msitake it was uneatable, seemed like it was just reheated everything soggy was terrible. Hotel staff not very knowledgeable every time we asked them a question the answer was" to be honest i haven t a clue". No atmosphere what so ever. Wont be staying there again.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
County Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

We went with friends on a 5 day National holidays coach trip from the north east of England. We had a 14hr journey and arrived at 9.30 pm but the restaurant was kept open for us. Available for breakfast were the usual cereals fruit juices and porridge which you served yourself with. A good selection of fried food was available and you have to go to a serving area pick up your plate and select the food you wanted. The food was fresh and hot. At your table the waiters constantly came round the table offering coffee, tea, and top ups, always served fresh and hot. Nothing was any trouble to them. Evening meal was three choices of each of the three courses and everyone was served hot, well cooked food and plentiful. Bedroom, shower, towels and toilets spotless, and tea/coffee making facilitys available. Everyone on our table were very pleased with everything about the hotel. The hotel is a little out of the way and the drinks we found were quite expensive. In summary, food good, rooms good, staff great and in my opinion top end of its 3 star rating, spoilt a little by the expensive drinks

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Beverley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

We were part of a coach party staying for 4 nights. We arrived at 9pm and still got a meal despite being told by our tour company that it would only be soup and sandwich's so that was good, the first nights meal was however at best mediocre however the evening meals the rest of time were very good.
As the hotel caters mostly for coach parties meal times for both breakfast and dinner were staggered, presumably so the staff could serve you easier however at no time were you rushed to make way for others.
Breakfast is self service and coach parties are again staggered to avoid long queues, however the quality of breakfast in my view left something to be desired although plentiful

The room had a good view of the grounds and all floors were serviced by scenic lifts. The room itself was spacious and clean.
The Bathroom was also clean but for some reason the toilet handle is on the other side of the shower screen,
The bathroom could however use a bit of remedial work to smarten it up, nothing drastic yet but will need doing soon.
For value we got a good priced coach trip so in that respect it was excellent, however if the prices on the doors were to by it would be expensive otherwise.
The Bar had entertainment laid on each night however bar prices were high but I suppose when you stay in hotels you pay higher prices (Guiness was €4.40)
The reception was friendly and had keys ready for collection when arriving back from coach trips, also provides wake up calls for those early morning trips!
The hotel is well geared up for coach travellers and runs a smooth operation in dealing with them.

Location of the hotel is too far to walk to Tralee and a Taxi I am told is about €10-€12. although on a main road there was no traffic noise.

As part of a coach party I was happy to stay here as it was a nice hotel and for me was good value, I don't think that would be the case if staying individually. Bottom line is yes i would stay here again if in the area

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have the best view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Cork
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

We stayed here in April for a friends wedding and also it was supposed to be a nice night away before my final exams started.
We arrived in the hotel in the afternoon reception/lobby area nice. Reception staff not very friendly, I am a receptionist myself so know the standards. Were made pay up front on checking in despite having paid a deposit. I know now why. We just dropped our bags in the room as we were heading to the wedding reception the walk to the room took for ever another lift would be useful at that side of the hotel, I would not like to be elderly trying to get there. Room seemed basic but ok.
Food at wedding reception was very good and staff very effecient and friendly. Its about all thats good at this hotel.
On returning to the room that night we discovered no lights working in our room except the bathroom light and the bulbs were missing from the lamps. Could not sleep with the heat blastiing out of the raditor next to the bed all night which could not be turned off. Most uncomfortable stay I had anywhere.
Complained to the receptionist the next morning she laughed in my face and said she would inform a manager. No compensation or never heard anything sense no wonder they took our money up front. Disgarceful accomadation and reception customer service.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Westayed here last week on a coach tour, From the moment we got there it was run to excellent standards, our room was very well furnished had had every thing you needed and more .All rooms were cleaned each day and clean towels provided.there were 6 coaches in and the dining room service and the food was 1st class All I can say is WELL DONE to all at the Earl of Desmond

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Earl of Desmond Hotel? Share your experiences!