“Well worth it” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Tralee
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Well worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

We booked a night at Ballyseede on our trip around Ireland mainly to say we did (when in Rome...). I honestly didn't have very high expectations and thought it would be just an over priced hotel. After staying there, I think everyone in our group would say it was worth it. The rooms were great, the public sitting areas were comfortable and inviting (with a bar to get a drink, or coffee/tea) and the restaurant was great as well. The service was great and atmosphere laid back (not like some very high end hotels that can be stuffy). The grounds were beautiful and very quiet; felt like wewere in the middle of nowhere. On our trip we mostly stayed at BnB's in or very close to towns so a castle in a quieter area was a nice change of pace. While you may not feel like you're in a castle in the rooms alone, the other public spaces (where we mostly spent our time) certainly did.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are not shown on the website so it's sort of hard to know what you're getti...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

First, this was my 50th birthday and I wanted to something special. We arrived at the castle and were treated by the resident puppy Einstein. Ok, maybe greeted was a stretch...he just laid there and barely acknowledged us. The staff was awesome and we got upgraded to the honeymoon suite!!! I really felt like the princess at that point! We opened our bottle of wine and poured a glass (in waterford crystal of course we had recently purchased ) and walked around the grounds. Everywhere we went the staff was super friendly. The grounds are beautiful and there are miniature horses and donkeys in a field across from the castle. I felt like the lady of the manor surveying her property. We ate at the pub that evening and made an early night of it, (birthday, honeymoon suite, big slipper tub....you get the picture. The next morning we went to breakfast and the staff gave me a birthday card!!! We left reluctantly after breakfast but not before I accidentally left my wallet in the room. 1 hour later I realized my mistake and had to backtrack to the castle. I think the castle was trying to make me stay :-) Anyway, the owner had my wallet and some change I inadvertently left as well waiting at the front desk. They had already sent and email and left a message on my home phone! I will never forget the experience or the kindness I experienced here.

Upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Our 2 night stay at Ballyseede Castle was excellent. Although the room was small, it was comfortable and clean. The decor was lovely. The sitting rooms in the castle are beautiful and there is always a pot of tea and coffee with biscuits for the taking. The grounds are lovely. The restaurant is first rate and the food in the pub is good too. Breakfast was excellent as was the service. No, it's not actually what one would call a castle like in the1500's but it was close enough for me.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
derby, kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Ok, not 800 years old but its still a castle. We had a great 2 night stay, we stayed in a cozy room which was fine with us. Coming in after a long day touring to having tea and coffee in one of the parlors was a great way to wind down before dinner. Breakfast in the stone room was probably the best ones we had while in Ireland. Joe and Esther at breakfast are super nice. All of the staff is wonderful except for one reception lady. We drove here from Charles fort then drove Slea Head drive and Dingle then left and went to Cliffs of Mohr. I highly recommend a stay here. We also had the 5 course meal one night, something we had never done. It was ok and a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: We had a cozy which was nice but cozy, if you need more space get a regular room.
Fredericksburg, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

First, let me say we did enjoy our stay here, but it has to be said that this is NOT a castle, but rather a manor house. If you are thinking of the fairy tale, medieval, towers-and-dungeons type of castle, this isn't one of them. It is a manor house build in the 1700's with castle design elements. Also, I would not consider this a 4-star property, as their site & most travel sites say. I would say somewhere between 3 to 3.5 stars. So, here are the pros & cons:

Pros: Amazing service from the staff...we really felt catered to from beginning to end; good food, nice common areas with wi-fi, cozy library/pub room; free parking; easy access to Tralee/Dingle Peninsula; Ballyseedy Wood nearby (great trails to walk; stroller-friendly; ruins of prior Ballyseede house); spacious rooms; kid-friendly

Cons: The hotel has some wear & tear that needs to be addressed, as this is the main reason I didn't give it 5 stars, nor consider it to be a 4-star hotel. You kinda get the feeling it's trading on its name and reputation a bit, or maybe times are tough, but it needs a thorough refreshing throughout. Things like moldy grout, cracked & chipping paint, worn out rugs & so on. Nothing major, but it's a little rough around the edges. Also, the decor...I guess the best way to describe it is to think of staying in this house right after the family moved out in the 1960's. The furniture fits with the period of the house, but looks like (and may be) furniture from the 50's or 60's. Since authentic period pieces aren't likely for a hotel, maybe they could try for a more "distressed" look on some things to make it look more antique/authentic. Basically, it won't really seem that special to anyone from the states that's used to seeing reproduction colonial-era furniture. Its the same type of furniture found in hotels here.

Finally, as is typical for many of my Ireland reviews, the beer selection is too limited. Once again Carlsberg was my choice for lager, and there was nothing hoppy. Oh, and you probably won't see the wolf hound...he is being kept away from the main house because of behavior issues.

So, would I recommend it...yes. Just go expecting a manor house experience & not a castle, and some rough edges. But it was overall an enjoyable experience for a 2 night stay. Any longer would be too much, I think.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Chanute, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Everything about the Ballyseede Castle was first rate. We had great rooms with plenty of space, and wonderful décor. The bartender was awesome and the food was great. We even went on a tour and learned about the resident "ghost"

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Lexington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

We stayed there for two nights and did not want to leave. The room was lovely and spacious. The staff were very personable and helpful! Food was great and very affordable! Could not ask for a better hotel experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Ballyseede Castle? Share your experiences!