“Family hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Ireland
“Family hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed here for one night over easter with my husband and one and a half year old son. There were loads of children and families staying in the hotel so my son was delighted. On arrival the hotel looks nice enough, the reception is bright and airy and the reception staff were nice. However on closer inspection you can see that the hotel is quiet shabby and almost rundown in places. There is a damp smell in some areas of the hotel and mold can be seen on the ceilings. Our room was ok, nice and bright but badly needed a lick of paint. The beds are small but the sheets were clean. We were on the second floor next to the lift and it was very noisy. There was a playground just outside and there was a lot of noise until about 1am. Thankfully this did not bother my son who slept through, but I was awake a good bit of the night. The room was too warm and we could not cool it down as the windows only open a crack. We had dinner in the restaurant which was nice, again very child friendy. We also used the pool and the playground, whcih were both ok, could use a bit of upgrading. On their website they advertise a kids club for all ages, however this is not the case, they would not allow my son to use the playroom, as they said it was only 3 years plus, not even if we stayed with him. So other than the playground outside which we could not use when it was raining there was no where for my son to play except for the lobby area, where most of the younger kids were. I would stay in this hotel again, mainly because my son enjoyed it so much. I think if they upgraded this hotel and provided facilities for younger childern, this would be a more attractive hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the playground as very noisy, as keeps can be in there until very late, also near...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We visit this hotel a lot throughout the year as its great for kids. Our youngest loves the kids club and movie night. Its great for us to relax and not worry about the kids as they are being well looked after by the club staff.
When we arrived to check in I was met by the receptionist chewing gum looking bored. She went through some details with me and explained that the kid's breakfasts was additional cost which I knew when I booked, I explained to her that my eldest probably won't get up for breakfast but I will pay if she does decide to get up. The receptionist said 'no' and that if I didn't pay there and then she 'won't be able to proceed with my check in' so I just paid. (My eldest didn't get up for breakfast either morning! ).

When we got to the room we had no problems except for the kids fighting about neither wanted to sleep in the same room as us so the solution was to set up the sofa bed. It needed bedding so while we were passing reception I asked about it and was told 'no the camp bed is broken in your room' it wasn't and after much persuasion she finally gave in and organised it for us. I have seen her being so rude and ignorant to people the whole weekend we were there.

She has definitely put us off booking again which is a pity as I am going there for years.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Just reading other peoples reviews and I decided that I would put my own review up. A while ago, we checked into ``The Quality Hotel``. Check in was very slow.

Reckon it`s a member of staff coming into rooms as the same thing happened to us. We were just after getting into bed. I can even remember getting up and securely locking the door. Suddenly, I heard someone at the door. We were woken by a man standing at the end of the bed staring at us. When we finally got rid of him, we rang reception. We were told security would be down immediately. No sign of security. Started getting phone calls then. Rang reception to be told to plug our phone out from the wall. My terrified six year old daughter wanted to leave immediately. The next morning on checking out, THEY KINDLY ONLY CHARGED US FOR ONE NIGHT. I wouldn`t let a dog stay in the hotel not alone a human being.

Room Tip: Stay away from ``The Quality Hotel``.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I do not write reviews usually because nothing is perfect but this should be reported.
Two weeks ago I visited Killarney with my 2 years old child and wife.

Hotel is quite expensive for comfort it offers, it is quite poorly built, rooms are really cold overnight and you do not have control over it because temperature is maintained centrally and it is switched off for night.

Most SHOCKING event happened during first night. At around 5:30 someone was tryingto enter my room number 1 101 and at last he did it. Heavily breathing like an animal was in entrance hall trying to get to bed. I jumped out from bed in my underwear and I had to push him out while asking how the hell he got there. He was heavily drunk and repeating that he is tired and have to go to bed. When I suggested to walk to reception and sort it out he chilled out and left room with small assistance. Anyway I called reception, within a minute there was some arguing and guy was probably escorted to his room.

EVEN MORE SHOCKING was attitude of day manager next morning. She refused to admit any failure and was only repeating like a robot that there is no record of entry on my locker at that time and that there was probably nobody in my room despite few people involved, including night staff. So was unable and not willing to give me an explanation which was even more worrying... Anyway she was so stupid to admit that guy was from third floor from room 3 101. I m sure I closed the door as I always do in the evening. My only theory is that guy was member of staff and used his universal card to get somewhere to sleep or just entered room on exactly same location but on 1st floor instead of third. Another would be just software failure...

So that lady manager made me even more angry. I was really helping her to get an explanation but she was like a robot... '' there is no entry record''. I also insisted that I m not trying to get any compensation, better room or anything. I just asked for explanation...

Also restaurant is quite poor. Perfect for breakfast, especially ladies there are very nice and helpful but do not go there for lunch or dinner. There are far better and cheaper reastaurants in the city.
So that is my experience...

Room Tip: Rather choose different hotel. It is rather a HOSTEL
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
cork city ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

stayed here for 2 nights during November mid-term break,foyer area was nice and reception ok but as they say first impressions last,not in my case,,room very basic,curtains horrible,old aluminium windows full of mildew and condensation,bathroom ok,but the smell on the corridor was appaling,than the cleaners leaving bags of rubbish lined up outside doors,we ate in bar first night,food not hot and not freah either but dear enough,set up for breakfast is a disaster,hotel badly needs full make over otherwise it'll be closed in next 18months if not sooner

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Clare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Thanks so much to the staff for making our holiday so relaxing.all four kids loved the kids club and restaurant staff were great too.i found reception staff most helpfull in organising our extra night as kids didn't want to leave.i had four kids with me and still had a great time.thanks again.

• Stayed October 2013
ManagementQuality, Front Office Manager at Hotel Killarney, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Quality Hotel Killarney. Holidays always end too soon!! I am delighted we were able to accommodate you the extra night so your kids could continue to have fun and especially for you to have a great time also is a fantastic bonus! I am very happy to pass your comments onto the staff as they work very hard to provide the friendly and excellent service we are known for throughout Ireland.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future,

Kindest regards
Maria Spillane
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We spent two nights at this wonderful hotel which lies within walking distance of the beautiful town of Killarney. It currently has the best rate that I have ever come across for a hotel- 59 euro for a couple B & B included. That makes it cheaper than many actual B & Bs. (By comparison, we were quoted the preposterous price of 90 euro for a B & B in Macroom on a previous outing). From the outside, the hotel doesn't look like much, but as soon as you enter, you see that the 'quality' in the name isn't just a misguided marketing technique. The hotel receptionists were very welcoming and hospitable, exhibiting typical Irish friendliness and courtesy. The hotel lobby was expansive, well decorated, featuring a bar at the back, a large lounge area in the front with plenty of comfortable seats, inviting you to linger there. The hotel rooms were of a high quality with comfortable beds, tea and coffee makers, even ironing boards and hair dryers, as well as a TV with a decent selection of channels, and very well heated. The hotel also features a swimming pool which stays open till nine, as well as a leisure centre and a kind of mini fun park for kids. There was even live entertainment- all of these features being free. The whole hotel complex is huge, so it's possible that you might be located at one of the far ends, but when we requested a change the following day, this was done without any problem. The breakfasts were superb, basically whatever you wanted- whether a full fry up, cereals, a variety of fruit dishes, as well as different kinds of juices. The coffee was of a high quality as well. Basically, for value for money, I haven't stayed in a better hotel.

Room Tip: Choose the ground floor as the hotel complex is massive.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and views of the Quality Hotel Killarney. We strive to provide excellent value for money on all our rates and I am glad we were able to accommodate you and that you enjoyed your breakaway here. The hotel is quite big and I am glad we were able to move you smoothly as our goal is to ensure all guests are comfortable and have a pleasant stay. I will pass on your comments to all departments. They will be delighted to hear as such great feedback to make their job more rewarding.

Thank you once again, we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards

Maria Spillane

Been to Hotel Killarney? Share your experiences!