“Good if you want to be in city centre” 3 of 5 stars

Scotts Hotel
Scotts Street, Killarney, Ireland   |
Ranked #32 of 40 hotels in Killarney
Dublin, Ireland
“Good if you want to be in city centre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Nice hotel, great location if you want to be in the city centre. Clean and quite. Service is average, hall is nice and breakfast is not bad. They have a bar in a small lane and sometimes they play live music. We didn't hear anything because our room was on the other side, however I would make sure to ask for a quiet room cause I guess it may be a problem. Overall, not too bad if you like modern hotels in city centre.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room that is not over their bar
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

427 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

You know when you read the "location can't be beat" that it's a mixed bag. Sure, it's close to the shops and pubs downtown but it's close to the night time noise as well. We stayed for 2 nights during a car rally weekend. Which meant the town was over run with young, 20-something boys (and screeching girlfriends) and their souped up cars dragging up and down the streets and drinking in the street until the wee hours. Not the Killarney I remember.

The hotel is located in a wide alley with a pub near the entrance. Be warned that the pub has outdoor seating and the two nights we stayed had a rock band of live music playing until 11:45. Room 207 looks over the lobby roof and alley. Choose a room away from the alley for a quieter night. We changed rooms for the second night without a problem...I suspect most guests moved for the same reason.

The buffet breakfast was a large selection of muffins, breads, cereals and juices for $6E ($E12 for menu). Hotel staff was efficient and accommodating, but lacking any charm or warmth.

In the end, go to Killarney to see the countryside and take in the amazing landscapes -- the diversity between lakes and mountains will astound you. But to stay in Killarney, choose a good old-fashioned grand dame hotel that makes you feel special. Not sure Scotts Hotel cared I was staying there at all.

Room Tip: Choose a room not facing the alley for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Waterford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Stayed here on the may bank holiday weekend arrived about 12.30 got checked in straight away to room 209 which was on 2nd floor facing the street the room was big & kind of empty it was spotless clean wasnt really that impressed with it as i dont like bedrooms that face onto streets & by 12 o clock that night i knew why the noise from the street was terrible all night & we also had to listen to the roars of traffic up & down all night so at 9 next morning went to reception asking to be moved to a quite room and the sorted it straight away the next room was way nicer & so quiet didnt hear a thing all night .the staff are very nice & helped every way the could i wouldnt let the first night put me off so i would go back again but would not take a room facing the street.

Room Tip: just dont take rooms street facing
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

I posted this email 2 days after staying in this hotel and did not receive any response!!!!!!! Suziedowling@hotmail.com
To whom it my concern ,
My name is Suzie Dowling ,
I stayed at your hotel over two nights ,
I arrived 2nd April in the evening , and spoke with the man that was front of house that evening , on arrival I found him only average in dealing with as he was quite unpleasant and rude !
At no stage was I offered help with my bags up to my room ,and when the question I had for him was ,where would breakfast be served? he answered as if this question annoyed him and without lifting his head pointed in some direction behind me as if I should of known ? ?
Also I had to ask the direction to the lift ,as he never gave me any information !
Arriving in my room I found it very cold ,and on entering the bathroom ,there were what looked like urine splashes just on the toilet floor !
Lying in bed that night I couldn't sleep due to the boys playing football in the carpark that my room faced onto and decided to stop at 11pm ,
Also I had to remove the card from the power box in the wall during the night as the telly makes a horrible buzzing noise while on standby !
My second evening turned out to be just as bad , discovering I have bites on my leg which I presume is only from your bedsheets . (picture attached )
I would of made your staff aware of my concerns on checking out ,if only they would of asked if my stay was pleasant or at least comfortable. No one bothered to ask!
I work for a large company that prides it's self on customer service which I feel   Disappointed to say I recieved none while staying in your hotel .
I'd appreciate if someone responed to me on this !
Regards
Suzie Dowling

• Stayed April 2012
Honolulu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

As mentioned in a previous review, the Scotts Hotel seems to have an identity crisis. Posh upscale hotel or a Holiday Inn? My guess is that perhaps the lobby/pub/restaurant area was recently remodeled, but the upper floors of accommodations have not yet been tended to. That said, the rooms are decent and clean but not overly luxurious.

This is the second hotel that I stayed at in Ireland and both hotels did not have clocks in the room, which I found curious. Also, there are no ice machines for hotel guests. If you're thinking about buying a six pack of drinks and bringing it back to your room, plan on drinking it warm.

Parking is free, underground and plentiful with easy access to the front door of the hotel by way of a lift. It is a little tough to find on the first go round.

Breakfast in the downstairs dining room is terrible, and the selection is quite small. On the upside, there are plenty of great places to eat just steps away.

My big gripe about this hotel is the wi-fi service. Yes, it's free and it's high speed, but it's available only in the lobby. Which means after a long day of touring about the city sights, if you want to relax in your room and email your friends or upload photos to share with friends back home, you're out of luck. You've got to trudge downstairs with all your equipment and do it there. That's a big inconvenience and a big loss of stars for my review.

The big pros about this hotel is its location. It's right downtown and when you walk out the front door you're smack dab in the middle of it all. Great shopping. Great food. Great pubs. Great sites to see. Very convenient.

The lobby staff were quite welcoming, very friendly and helpful with tips on what to see and how to get there. They provided us with very nice maps and explanations on how to get our bearings.

If not for the wi-fi service, I would've given this hotel a four star rating.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Tralee, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Last minute booking big mistake room 116 to be avoided worn bedding torn carpet old dirty looking room smelt of smoke really noisey .the staff were very nice

Room Tip: If you are offered 116 refuse
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Stayed here last weekend with my partner. Staff couldn't have been more helpful, room was gorgeous and very central location with free parking. Didn't get to go around Killarney much as it was raining but will definately return and stay here!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Scotts Hotel? Share your experiences!