“Simply Delicious” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Killarney, Kerry, Ireland
“Simply Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

When visiting Killarney a visit to Mareena's on the East Avenue rd is a must if you want to enjoy 5star food & service but not 5star prices. Being a Coeliac I find they are very aware of dietary needs. Great Food, Friendly service & spotless restaurant.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
0646637787, Manager at Mareena's Simply Food, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Margaret D,
Thanks a million for the fab review.
We are delighted that as a coeliac you found we were able to cater for your diet as there are so many people like yourself out there and it is important to us that you can still enjoy tasty flavoursome food.
Look forward to seeing you again.

Killarney, Ireland
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Maternal"s is a new restaurant in Killarney having opened a few months ago at the location of the former East Avenue Cafe. It is open for lunch and for evening meals and I experienced both with different groups of friends. The food was excellent and I would particularly recommend the salmon with prawns. Prices are good value for food of this quality.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
0646637787, Owner at Mareena's Simply Food, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Hi Mary N,
Thanks very much for your lovely review,we really appreciate it.
Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Many thanks,
NYC, NY
“Spotless restaurant with good cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Enjoyed our stop here. The vegetable soup with creme fraiche was lovely and seafood casserole to follow very good as well. I am usually adventuresome with food but, even as a lamb lover, I was given pause by neck of lamb filet. I needn't be. Our son ordered it and it was fork tender in a sauce that offset it perfectly. ...next time perhaps. The wine list was small and reasonable but with several nice Australian surprises. Desserts like the chocolate cake with ice cream and sauce was a structural and taste bud treat. Only sorry that rabbit was not on the menu when we visited. I'm sure it's grand. Mary is a most lively host and conversationalist,

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
0646637787, Owner at Mareena's Simply Food, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear NYCDog,
Firstly we would like to thank you most sincerely for posting such a great review.
We are sorry you missed the rabbit but we try to vary our menu every now and then,so hopefully next time you´ll be luckier.
We aim to improve our wine list as we go along and i´m delighted you enjoyed the Australian Butchers Block.
Hope to see you next time you visit Ireland,
Many thanks,
Mary.
“Great food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Just recently we went there a few times while staying in Killarney for some celebrations. We were more than satisfied with the quality and flavoursome food we were served. Mary, the owner, was a pleasure as a host and so welcoming. Also the value was very good. I had rabbit, neck of lamb and a carrot/parsnip soup, which was to die for!
I'd go there anytime again.

Hi Fireworker,
Thank you very much for your great review,we are delighted you enjoyed the food and atmosphere here at Mareena´s.I´m also glad you were happy with the value as providing value for money is very important to us hence our menu is priced the same day and night.
Hope to see you again soon.
Best regards,
Mary.
“A meal to remember and very much worth reviewing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my husband ate at Mareenas for lunch on Holy Thursday and all I can say is ...exquisite! I use TA a lot but have never posted before. Having been to Mareenas I knew I would be making my first ever post on TA as I was so fabulously impressed.

We were in killarney for a few days with family and at the last minute decided to head out for lunch. With a one year old and being pregnant with number two we don't get out very much so wanted to go somewhere special. After reading the reviews on TA we decided to head to Mareenas and we weren't disappointed!!!

I had the cashel blue warm salad and I literally died and went to heavan. Im not really meant to eat blue cheese however took my chances and was so glad i did! It was stunning.!!!
The hubby had the chicken salad and expressed similar delight.
After all the previous reviews I opted for the duck for mains and again wasn't disappointed. It was so scrumptious; cooked to perfection and the accompaniments of red cabbage, broccoli and the creamiest smoothest mashed potatoes were a match made in heavan. I was even tempted to lick the plate for the last bit of gravy but restrained myself!
My husband had the special of the day; the made to order beef burger. He has a bit of a burger fetish and is a harsh critic of most eateries take on the burger. Mareenas burger got the 5* thumbs up from him which is very rare. He went on to rave about it all day he was so impressed.
Drinks were every bit as good. My husband had a glass of house Shiraz and I had a tasting mouthful. We both agreed a very impressive choice of house wine.
My definite best of the entire meal though was the coffee. I'm an absolute coffee addict and very very fussy. Having been off coffee for most of the last 6 months I've recently re-indulged and have become even fussier than normal. I have to say the coffee I had in Mareenas was the nicest in recent memory! Sounds a bit mental I'm sure but it was really amazing! Planning to drop Mareenas a line to see what beans they use as will be going straight to their supplier!!

On top of the food both the service and atmosphere/ decor of the restaurant were fabulous. The owner, presumably Mareena, served us and was a lovely warm and genuine host. We really enjoyed her personal touch. The restaurant whilst small and simple was very tastefully decorated and well laid out.

Overall a great dining experience and I look forward to coming back for an evening meal in the summer when I can enjoy even more of what's on offer post-pregnancy.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
0646637787, Owner at Mareena's Simply Food, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Niacasey,
Wow,we here at Mareena´s simply food were blown away by your fantastic review and we would like to thank you most sincerely for posting it on tripadvisor.
It gives us great job satisfaction and we strive to continue in this vein.
It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your meal from starters right through to coffee(name i will supply you with no problem).
We wish you all the best and look forward to seeing you again.