“Such a disappointment.....4 Star????” 1 of 5 stars

Dromhall Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Muckross Road, Killarney, Ireland   |
Ranked #23 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Such a disappointment.....4 Star????”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Booked for three nights on a DBB package. Arrived and carpark was full due to a Wedding, okay these things happen. Into the hotel and checked-in, was offered a dinner reservation, but was advised it wasn't necessary if we wanted to have a think about time etc. We were allocated a room on the first floor, our room was abit tired and could do with a refresh, it also wasn't properly cleaned - both the toilet and bath had strands of the previous guests hair remaining, plus you could have wrote your name in the dust on the top of the toilet. Anyhow, we unpacked and got settled in. It was evident from early on that the rooms had very little to no sound proofing! We decided to go down to Kaynes Bistro for dinner around 8.30pm - restaurant was 50% occupied and we were turned away as apparently they were fully booked - and maybe the bar downstair might have a table, bearing in mind out package was DBB!!!! So we went down to the bar - and we were ignored by not only one member of their staff but three - so we left unfed. Could the night get any worse, afraid it did. The Wedding reception disco started at 10;30pm and it was directly under our room which woke us out off our sleep - this continued till 1;00am. After managing to get back to sleep we were again woke at 3.40am with the wedding guests returning to their rooms on our corridor - and some deciding to sit out in the corridor and party. At around 4am the guest in the room next to ours (not part of the wedding) had to go out and ask them to remove themselves - this was due to him not being able to get an answer to his call to reception!!!! So after 4 hours of sleep we heading down for breakfast - average enough. I went to reception to inform them of the events of the evening - I was given a sorry and your room wasn't near the Wedding function to which I lost it. (Receptionists should really know the hotel layout when they are allocating rooms). Then the Duty Manager I'm guessing as he didn't introduce himself - strugged his shoulders and said sorry that sometimes happens - how very professional. So we went up to the room and got a call from reception offering us a bottle of wine for the hassle, but by this stage we had decided enough was enough and started to pack up to depart. On check-out they tried to charge for the DBB rate for the first evening - even when we couldn't get dinner in the hotel!!! So after much discussion this was changed to the standard BB room rate for the night with no discount offered for all the hassle we experienced. So if your thinking about staying here I really wouldn't waste your time, money or the energy.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
BernadetteRandles, General Manager at Dromhall Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear HolidaySunshine30

I was very concerned to read your comments. As you will see from our other reviews, your experience with us is the exception rather than the rule. However, I'm sure that's of little comfort to you and I would like to apologise most sincerely for the inconveniences you suffered. I'm sorry that I didn't meet you myself but I am looking into the concerns that you raised.

If you would like to contact me personally, I would be pleased to discuss these concerns with you and to try and make amends. I can assure you that customer service is very high on our list of priorities and I'm sorry that you found us wanting in this area.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Greek first
Ashbourne, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed here for three nights with our parents 6 adults and had a great time.From the time we checked in we were looked after.The breakfast was excellent and we had dinner in kaynes bistro on the three nights of our stay.the food and service was excellent and a special mention for Stephen who seemed to serve us every night.would definitely stay here again.Also the manager I forget his name now was so polite hes a spurs fan anyway hope he enjoys his trip to white hart lane, thanks for agreat stay David scannell

Room Tip: A room at front gives agreat view of the mountains
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear David s

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent visit. I was so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm delighted too that you enjoyed all your meals in our Kayne's Bistro and I will certainly pass on your comments to Stephen and to Michael.

We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again one day.

Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

The welcome from when we arrived to when we left was absolutely amazing. Thanks to everyone for making the entire trip such a super success for us. Bernadette Randles and her team are running the most amazing ship. Breakfast was exceptional. I look forward greatly to returning. The weather was awful but we were more than happy to sit in the bar and hang out in the comfortable drawing rooms/bedrooms. Thanks for everything!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear LouiseKIreland

Thank you so much for your lovely review. It was indeed our pleasure to take care of you and your family and I'm pleased that we were able to offer you a warm and comfortable haven away from the awful weather!

We look forward to seeing you again.

limerick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

this was our first visit to the Dromhall, and we will be back, the whole hotel is spotless, the rooms are the very same. ( just a little to warm ) but some people like that, as i had an upset stomach i could`nt eat the breakfast, as we were checking out i did explain the reason, in which she gave my a small token jesture instead, which i thought was lovely of her to do, customer service is still alive thank god, and you will find it, at the Dromhall hotel

Dear paddy2009

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, following your recent visit. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and was delighted to read your comments about our staff.

I hope you have the opportunity to visit us again.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Came to this hotel after having to leave our former accommodation in Killarney due to the Storms upset, cold and fed up!! The staff and owner of the Dromhall were so welcoming and friendly. The hotel was so warm and the interior was amazing!! Great food and a great stay, pool is fabulous and had a lovely evening meal. Was nice to see such friendly staff, really turned that frown upside down :))

• Stayed February 2014
Dear tinajxx

Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read your comments about your stay with us. It was our pleasure to take care of you and I'm pleased we were able to help turnaround your visit to Killarney. Thank you for your kind words.

We hope you have the opportunity to return to us one day.

Waterford, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

My wife and I spent our birthdays here last week and we really enjoyed our stay here as usual. Food was delicious, room was very spacious and comfortable and the staff are a delight to deal with. Really enjoyed our complimentary bottle of wine as a present- it was very thoughtful. Ideally located as it's only a 10 minute walk to the town centre!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Power001

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, following your recent visit. I was so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us again and thank you for your kind comments about our food and our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Dromhall again soon.

Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stayed over Valentines weekend. First meal a bit of a disaster with cold potatoes and veg that had being microwaved, left and then gone hard as rocks. The trio of fish was beautifully cooked. Mentioned our complaint to staff and they couldn't do enough for us. Free desserts and a round of drinks. However the next night they went all out again for us with an outstanding meal in the rest. upstairs. Again a free glass of wine and no supplement for my wife's steak. Thank you Dromhall for caring. Our breakfast was lovely-freshly cooked and delivered with a smile. Overall very happy with our stay and will go back. Found the mattress a little bit hard for a comfy sleep though.

Dear MartinGalway0

Thank you for your review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and can only apologise again for the error on the first night with your food. This is most unusual for us and I'm pleased that we were able to put everything right during the remainder of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Kind regards

Been to Dromhall Hotel? Share your experiences!