“Basic but clean” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Clare
“Basic but clean”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

I went along with a few more friends for two nights to the INEC Gleneagle for New Years Eve party. We checked in without any hassle and the parking was free of charge. Our room was cold so we had to request for our room heater to be attended to. The heater was not heating up properly. We had to request an extra duvet also. The room was clean but very basic. After the concert I enquired at reception if our room heater was looked at, the reply was that the heating is on a timer so thats why our heater wasnt on. I pointed out that earlier the heater was on and hot and the bottom but not at the top. The receptionist said they would send someone to look at it after a second time of asking. There were young kids in the residents bar until after 2am!! They restaurant was cold so I asked for the air conditioning to be turned off, the reply was that it was meant to be warm air, but it clearly wasnt. My request it to be turned off was ignored. The hotel was so cold for the two days stay, we had to wear our jackets in the reception area.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Polish first
Cavan, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

I stayed at the Gleneagle in early November with my mother, my sister and my 4 year old niece. I had read some of the negative reviews here and to be honest was quite worried. But we had already booked so we went anyway and I'm so glad we did. We really enjoyed it.

Our overall feeling was that we could have spent the whole weekend within the walls of the hotel - it had everything we needed.

The rooms were clean and comfortable with tea making facilities. We had room service of a platter of sandwiches which was a little dear (26 euro) but the sandwiches were lovely.

The pool was very spacious with separate areas for serious swimmers, beginners, and children - it was a little on the cold side, particularly on the childrens side but my niece loved it.

There was entertainment on Saturday night that was frre to residents. There was a proper newsagents in the hotel which was great for the newspapers on Sunday morning. There was Bingo on Sunday afternoon (although we didn't go it was nice to have the option!). On Sunday night there was ballroom dancing , which was again free to residents.

The lobby area was spacious, with lots of areas to sit and relax, internet stations, and free tea and coffee in the green room. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was plentiful and delicious.

I would certainly recommend it and we're already planning to go back in spring.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

We booked a New Years family package here at the beginning of the year. I had heard good things about the family apartments, but as they were all booked out, we decided to book a package in the hotel. When we arrived, we were appalled at the state of the outside of the hotel. Old and grotty, badly in need of a face-lift. When we were checking in, the staff were unhelpful to the point of rudeness. Our room was horrible. Dirty, stained walls, and it smelled bad. The bathroom was not clean. Horrible. My eldest son was in tears. We got on the phone to find somewhere else to stay, but everywhere was booked out.

The only positive thing about the whole stay was that when we went to complain to staff about the state of our room, we got a very helpful girl who moved us to a suite at no extra cost and apologised. She was the only kind and helpful member of staff we met during our holiday, and our new room was a vast improvement.

Part of our package included evening meals, but our first dinner was so unbelievably awful that we did not eat in the hotel again. The food was inedible, cold, cold plates, rude staff, dirty cutlery. I was stunned. The food at breakfast was actually quite nice, to be fair, but we had a long, long wait for a table most days, and on New Years Day we had to wait (standing) for ONE WHOLE HOUR before we were given a table. It was total chaos.

The swimming pool itself is nice, but the leisure centre as a whole is run down and badly in need of some work.

The fact that the INEC is on the premises meant that nights were noisy, and one night it was so packed when we got back to the hotel that we couldn't even get parking in our own hotel grounds. Nightmare.

We hated it so much that we left a night early. We left a scathing review in the comments box and wrote an e-mail to complain after we left. We never heard from them. Never, EVER again would I stay here.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Westmeath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

We stayed at the apartments attached to the Gleneagle with our two young children and our au pair and it was the ideal place to stay with a family. The apartments was extremely spacious with plenty of room for everyone, two very large bedrooms, large living area/kitchen and two bathrooms. The accommodation was well equipped and nicely decorated and standard of cleanliness excellent, the apartment was serviced three times during our stay. There was some food in the apartment on arrival such as bread milk etc. The best thing about these apartments is that they are located within the Gleneagle/INEC/Brehon complex and you can use all of the facilities. We used the pool, play area etc and also attended events at night in the INEC, our little boy also attended the Barney show during the day and loved it. We ate bar food in the Brehon quite a lot and it was really excellent. We have stayed in the Brehon many times before but with the family in tow the apartments were ideal. Our au pair used the shuttle bus to Killarney from the main hotel which was very handy. All in all we had a fantastic family holiday with something to suit all ages and will definitely be back. All of the staff were really friendly and helpful and it was probably the most child friendly place we have ever stayed. It was nice to have the options of a nice drink in the Brehon on our door step in the evening of a show in the INEC yet still have the freedom and flexibility of self catering.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Kildare, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

Negatives: Bedrooms in dire need of upgrade and dirty, on arrival given wrong room, had to order iron and ironing board 3 times before it arrived. Breakfast served until 11am, on 2 occasions, we arrived at 10:50am and told had to wait for free table, was called at 11:10, then buffet cleared at 11:15. When we mentioned this at check out, the Manager said "You got fed didn't you".
Buckets dotted around hotel to collect rainwater coming through roof.
Woken at 2:15am on Sunday night by two other female guests screaming at each other in corridor.
Positives: Leisure centre, childrens club and some staff.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
meath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

My stay was with my wife, a few nights away to relax. From the moment we entered the hotel we were greeted by friendly staff i was delighted with our room it was very clean,comfortable and when we needed anything the housekeeping staff were very helpfull, the resturant was great we were both very happy with the food. Having a shop in the hotel very handy was easy to get my hand on the paper, lesuire facilitlys were very clean and staff very friendly.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights with family for a relatives wedding early 2009 which was held in the hotel. The rooms were nice and comfortable but I did feel there was something lacking. I do remember the weather was really bad so this could have been a lot to do with it and it being really quite that time of year. The breakfast was lovely everything you would want and it tasted great but I would go in to the town of Killarney for dinner, as the town has some great resturants for anyones fancy. The pool was fantastic, when I have kids I will be back because I found it was ideal for familys rather than a couples break but overall the hotel was lovely and think maybe I'll wait for kids to come along before I go back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to Gleneagle Hotel? Share your experiences!