“Inexpensive, clean and friendly plus delicious breakfast.” 4 of 5 stars

Abbey Lodge
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Muckross Road, Killarney, Ireland   |
Ranked #62 of 141 Killarney B&B and Inns
Beloit, Wisconsin
“Inexpensive, clean and friendly plus delicious breakfast.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

The Abbey Lodge was a one night stop for our family. It was in a really good location to walk to Killarney's City Center and a short drive to Killarney National Park. The park is stunning, I highly recommend hiking there for a day or two.

At breakfast I was offered a shot of Baileys for my steel cut oatmeal! I declined, but doesn't that sound yummy?

The owner of the hotel waited on us at breakfast, he was very enjoyable to talk to and wanted to make sure we had a good stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Shawnee Mission, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We traveled with my 4.5 month old son and wife just a couple weeks back to the Lodge (which is attached and shares breakfast to the Ardree House B&B) in Killarney to spend a few days seeing the Ring of Kerry, Gap of Dunloe, Killarney Park, and Dingle. We had a great experience in the house. The breakfast is good, the room is clean and quite large (we had a double room). The owner is friendly and helpful, even bringing a cot up to the room for our baby. My only gripe was that room was cold at 3am til 5am in the morning due to how the radiator system works, normally I wouldn't notice but my kid woke up. I believe the weather was unseasonably cold then too.

Otherwise it was an excellent stay, location was close to town center and again the owner was extremely accomidating, providing a back entrance to the B&B and suggesting places to eat in town. A great stay over all.

Room Tip: The owner said that the Abbey Lodge has consistently larger rooms than the Ardee House which has roo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed at Abbey Lodge in Killarney for my 50th Birthday, there was 7 of us, and everyone in the party all remarked on how clean,friendly,and helpful all the staff were and that we would certainly go back again. The location to the town centre was ideal and the food was excellent, and me personally i had an unforgettable time. Thanks John

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I recently spent two days and one night in Killarney. The area is beautiful and the people are amongst the most hospitable and charming in all of Ireland....and that is saying something. The Abbey Lodge is a wonderful place to stay. My trip involved 10 nights across Ireland in four different hotels. The other three were very good, however, the Abbey Lodge was the best by far. The entire lodge is decorated with quaint and comfortable antiques. The room was very clean and comfortable, not fancy, but very nice....like staying at your favorite uncle's country house. Killarney is easy to navigate on foot and the Abbey Lodge is centrally located. I walked to and from the train station in 7 minutes. The majority of the shops, restaurants, and pubs are within 5 minutes walk. It was incredibly convenient. The value was excellent. All that being said, I must say that the most outstanding feature was the service. The property is owned and run by a man named John King. He and his staff were extremely knowledgable about the area and more than happy to give directions, explain various local features of Killarney, make wonderful recommendations, and even store my freshly bought cheese for a day after I checked out so I could traipse around the National Park. Also, I had the breakfast served in the lodge. The food was wonderful, the service was flawless. I recommend the traditional full Irish breakfast. My only warning...you better be hungry. The portions were more than generous and cooked to perfection. Overall, my trip to Ireland was wonderful. My only regret is that I would have liked to have spent a full week in Killarney and I would have spent every night at the Abbey Lodge. I will return! I will bring others. Thank you, Mr. king!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Valletta, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at the Abbey Lodge in Killarney and it was one of our best lodging. It's a family run hotel and John , Jana & Evelyn make you really feel and home.
Will definitely go back to Killarney as it's a beautiful city and with no doubt I will choose to stay at the Abbey Lodge.
Thanks again for the hospitality!
By the way and the breakfast is WOW!

Noel Farrugia
Malta

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

A lovely town to visit with wonderful people. Abbey Lodge was a little gem with spacious, clean rooms and wonderful service. We travelled as a family (2 small kids) and enjoyed that the B&B was within walking distance to any activities and town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Long Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were on the final stages of our two week stay in Ireland. My wife and I on an escorted tour the first week (staying in hotels), joined by our son and his wife for the second week (staying in bed and breakfasts). We did not call ahead and took chances on finding accommodations each night. We were happy to find The Abbey in Killarney. Off street parking, warmly welcomed by the owner, assisted with our luggage, Ice supplied on request, comfortable,clean rooms (on the ground floor), close to town for walking to dinner, and very nice breakfast, with a nice presentation. I would heartily recommend this excellent bed and breakfast.......
Dr. and Mrs. Robert Montague of Long Beach, California, USA.

Room Tip: Use the Bed and Breakfast Book, check for distance to town center or to touring interests.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Abbey Lodge? Share your experiences!