“Most disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
midlands
“Most disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Booked two allegedly De Luxe rooms for 20th/21st Juily past.
One was maginally 3star max . the other more like like a partially renovated cell.
Breakfast quite good but food in Molly Darcy's Pub of poor quality and served luke warm.Did not try the Yew Tree Restaurant

This is the second time during the past few months that i have made bookings through an agency ie
(Bookings.Com ) only to be given on arrival what i consider to be grossly inferior rooms .
It would certainly appear that if you book direct with the Hotel you get a better standard of room
The Hotel is generally somewhat dated..This may suit some of our Amercan cousins but i suggest that UK citizens would demand much more .
All together a most disappointing experiece .
Wll not return to this Hotel or recommend to others

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
SeanODriscoll, Guest Relations Manager at Muckross Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to post your feedback.

I was very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your meal in Molly Darcys. My apologies if the offering during your stay was not satisfactory, the food in Molly Darcys usually receives wonderful reviews and the feedback you have provided would not be up to our usual high standards.

Also I was disappointed to hear that your were unhappy with your accommodation as this is an area that also receives great reviews on a regular basis.

If I can do anything for you in future please be sure to contact me.

Many kind regards

Danny McClure
Guest Relations Manager
Muckross Park Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband & I have just returned from a 2 night stay in Killarney & I booked this hotel as I wanted a 5 star experience & I paid accordingly. Unfortunately I was left disappointed - Main entrance to hotel is nothing special ,the plants & small garden has not been maintained and the shrubs & flowering plants are dying whereas all over Killarney the hanging baskets & flowers are magnificent.
Our room was functional but nothing special, cabinet for TV not working which meant I couldn't view from my side of bed. Housekeeping on second day was slipshod & it looked like they spent 5 mins in the room.
I enjoyed my spa experience, however steam room was out of order, and also the foot spas, which was a disappointment for me.
A complimentary newspaper is provided, however, we only received paper on first day.
Breakfast was fantastic & the staff were extremely good in the restaurant.
No feedback back forms available & when checking out I was not asked how we enjoyed our stay.

Killarney was fabulous,amazing so I will return but to a different hotel.

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review.

I was disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy some aspects of your stay.

I can tell you we strive to upgrade and update the property as much as possible all throughout the year. We have had extensive work done on ours grounds since your visit and as a result the hotel is now surrounded by some lovely summery colours. You had also mentioned a couple of maintenance issues including our steam room which have now been rectified as a result. Thank you very much for bringing these to our attention.

My apologies that your newspaper was only delivered on the first day, this is not our usual standard as we always like to deliver when something is offered to our guests. I can tell you the system for morning deliveries has been reviewed and altered. Your feedback on the room servicing on the second day has also been reviewed, like before thank you for bringing these matters to our attention.

Thank you so much also for your kind words regarding our staff, and also for your lovely compliments on our breakfast.

I am also delighted to hear that you enjoyed Killarney and if I can do anything for you in the future please let me know. I would be delighted to be of assistance.

Kind regards

Danny McClure
Guest Relations Manager
Muckross Park Hotel
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed one night in June, it was fantastic from start to end. The top service by well trained stuff, the scented towel to freshen after the journey while checking in, the rooms omg amazing, total five star class. The food and the excellence of the knowledge of the staff from starter, wine, main course to dessert was wonderful. The was amazing and the outdoor cedar wood hot amazing amongst the Yew trees. Just an amazing hotel and staff, without a doubt we will be back. Spotless and clean.

If you are an internet buff you will be given a code and there is lack of mobile reception, but hey you are in paradise -chill.

Room Tip: Everything amazing, and the best breakfast I have seen by far.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Cannot fault this hotel. Staff excellent, meal in restaurant to die for. Restaurant staff very knowledgeable. We had complimentary bikes so we took a leisurely ride through Muckross House. The bar staff where we had a pre dinner drink were really friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights and found the staff friendly and competent. The deluxe room was very spacious and well cleaned every day, and had free wifi. We only ate breakfast in the hotel and it was absolutely amazing, both choice and quality! One night we had dinner in Molly Darcys and it was delicious in a more relaxed setting.
We found everyone very helpful and had a lovely treatment in the spa. The spa was first clas even without a treatment. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: We booked a deluxe room which was spacious with a spacious bathroom.
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Had a quick one night stay in Muckross park hotel and everything was out of this world. We sampled most of what the hotel had to offer, the bar, spa and yew tree restaurant and all were superb. Would highly recommend a stay for couples.

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Look, - I'm biased - it was my daughter's wedding and it would have been great if we had gone to the local "fish n chips". I was cynical about going to a so-called "5-star" hotel. My wife and I have stayed in many of them and are usually a bit underwhelmed by the arrogance and poor service.
This hotel is very different!
From the beginning they were fantastic! The wedding day organiser was Niall, who was attentive, courteous and absolutely geared to making the day very special. There was a food-tasting session involving our new in-laws and the bride and groom. The food choices were explained to us by focused staff and the quality exceeded our expectations.
For main course we opted for a choice of fillet steak (done to your taste) and monk-fish.
On the day, everyone got exactly what they requested - blue, rare, medium or well done! I have only experienced this quality of service in the very best restaurants and NEVER at a wedding dinner! Then things went even more exceptional when extra portions of fillet steak and monk-fish were offered to all, - irrespective of what they had initially ordered on the day. Think about that!.
My daughter and her partner availed of all kinds of extras including massage and hydrotherapy pool, which were described as "fantastic".
Most of the immediate families went for a walk the next day into Muckross Park and this is literally just across the road (50 meters from Reception!). I am fairly biased here also! Muckross Park is just about top of the ultimate bucket-list if you are from Ireland or, seriously, if you are from abroad, you are nuts if you do not treat yourself to some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet!
Magic, Magic Hotel experience.

Room Tip: Don't worry about it! All the rooms are great and I've seen about 5 of them including one...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family