“Great stay! But it may not be far from penny apples” 4 of 5 stars

Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Muckross, Killarney, Ireland   |
Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Laois
“Great stay! But it may not be far from penny apples”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Muckross park is a special place for my fiance and I. We got engaged here in 2011. We revisted to celebrate a birthday. We stayed two nights in a suite lovely room however a bit of work is needed as the sink in the ensuite leaked on the floor, the jacuzzi bath has its controller broken from the tub. The iron also didnt work however receiption did send one up.. why pay more for this? All of this I could put to one side for the amazing meals we had while on our stay. There was a complentary mini bar and bottle of wine in our room, chocolates and fruit.

The main reason the hotel looses its 5 star rating from me is how we were dealt with in the cloister spa. We were both in the steam room (which has no steam on all of our visits) we were not asked but told "You will need to leave here now a customer has a treatment"... There was no sorry just get out and take your towels with you. I was put out by it and so was my fiance so I would avoid the cloister spa as nothing works here either only the jacuzzi and the sauna and after how we were spoken to we were not customers and not welcome.

Stay in the hotel and enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Dont pay for a suite as nothing works right.. avoid the spa
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SeanODriscoll, Guest Relations Manager at Muckross Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear past guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.
I do apologise regarding the issue with the sink & jacuzzi in your suite. Our Maintainance Manager has rectified this.
I am delighted to read you had amazing meals throughout your stay, and I have passed your comments to our Head Chef.
Regarding the Spa, we do not actually have a standard steam room – the area you were in was actually the Rasul treatment area. We have signage up explaining about the Rasul Treatment Area. I apologise that this wasn’t explained properly to you. We do have a salt grotto & sauna within the Vitality Suite also.
I have passed on your comments regarding your issues in the Spa to the Spa Manager.
Thank you again, and I do hope you will return to us in the future.
Geraldine O Neill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Donegal Town, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I am just back from a two night stay at this hotel with my boyfriend. When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly concierge named 'Teddy' who served us hot 'lemongrass' towels on a slate which were welcomed after out trip from Donegal. He showed us to our room and explained how everything worked and to consult him if we needed anything further. That evening we ate in Molly Darcy's, we had the most amazing food and service then hit the town!
The next morning we had a beautiful breakfast, the spread was very impressive, I ordered the pancakes from the kitchen myself and they were delicious! We then slipped into our robes and slippers which were provided and went to the pool area which was heavenly, from the outdoor hot tub to the loungers and sauna's this thermal suite was the best I have experienced. The entrance to the National Park is literally across the road were we had a breathtaking walk along the lake up to Torc Waterfall.

Finally on departure we were given a small bag with two bottles of water for the journey home.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone! Food, service, location all super!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted you had such a pleasant stay with us and that you enjoyed our location in the heart of Killarney's National Park.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

13 of us stayed for a family get together. The group was aged between 31 and 75. It was wonderful. We had some lovely nibbles and afternoon drinks in Molly darts bar. Must def recommend the chicken wings and the service was excellent. He was attentive and chatty and so accommodating. While some of us went to the spa others sat chatting in the comfy sofas in the piano room. The spa was wonderful especially the outdoor hottub. We had some pre dinner drinks in the cocktail bar. A lovely cosy fire welcomed us and again the service here was second to none. We had dinner in GB Shaws restaurant. OMG. Fantastic. Our waiters were lovely. The scallops were the best I have ever tasted. The homemade bread and tapenade were just gorgeous. I had the venison and was beautifully tender with a chocolate jus. The best was yet to come with the best ever chocolate fondant. Firm and warm with a wonderfully gooey interior. Yum. After dinner we returned to cocktail bar where we stayed till early hours. N the morning some who hadn't used the spa did so while I and a few others went for a walk. We literally crossed the road and were walking in the beautiful surroundings of Muckross house and gardens. We went on to torc waterfall and were back just in time for breakfast. Again absolutely lovely. Especially loved their homemade smoothies. I had the poached eggs. I think we all had something different from the menu. It was really nice. This was a lovely indulgent stay. The staff were great. My aunts were especially taken with the concierge. Hot lemongrass towels on arrival. It was lovely from beginning to end. I would highly recommend a stay to anyone. Will def return soon.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.
I have passed on your wonderful comments to the team.
cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Booked the Muckross park for a weekend in January with my wife and our 1 year old. We decided to book a suite, for the simple reason we wanted a bit more space; especially in the evening when the baby is asleep by 7, and we can have a night to ourselves watching TV in a seperate room, without the fear of waking her.First impressions last, and we were certainly impressed when we first entered Muckross Park. The rooms were spotless, the food was excellent, and the staff were so friendly. I have stayed in 5 star hotels in the past and found it all a bit uncomfortable. I dont want someone to fuss over me because they have to but it was the polar opposite at Muckross. The staff are genuinely friendly and helfpul without being OTT. One of the highlights for me was the food. I love to treat myself with a fry when I am stay in a hotel and I certainly wasnt disappointed. It was superb! The food was delicious, and not just at breakfast, in Molly Darcys and GB Shaws as well.

Overall I cannot say enough about the Muckross Park and if I could give it 6 stars I would! If you are staying in Killarney, and your budget can stretch a little further (its actually not much extra than most 4 star's in Killarney), I would say just book it. I cannot comprehend why anyone would give this less than 5 stars, and at the time of this review, I read that 14 gave it 1 star. They must either have spend their time in the wrong hotel or must not have taken their medication that weekend, as the Muckross Park is a five star hotel and they have earned each and every star!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to read you had such a wonderful time with us. I have passed on your comments to the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future
Wicklow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

We had stayed here a while back and what struck me was how beautiful the bedrooms were. Killarney is a fabulous location too and the hotel has a great bar and restaurant too. Local tourist attractions are very nearby without being overly central or noisy

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.
Our rooms were all completely refurbished in 2007 and we recently won the Supreme Award for Best Five Star Accommodation in Ireland 2012/2013
by the Irish Accommodation Standards Institute

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

An absolutely fantastic hotel with incredible service and staff! The rooms are so beautifully decorated with lots of nice touches in the bathrooms! The full access to the spa is undoubtedly the highlight! Amazing facilities in such a tranquil environment! We were even allowed to use the facilities for a few hours after we checked out! Such a relaxing place to be and great value for money!

• Stayed January 2013
SeanODriscoll, Guest Relations Manager at Muckross Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to read you had such a relaxing stay with us, and that you enjoyed The Cloisters Spa. Thank you for your comments regarding our friendly staff, and incredible service also.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

A gorgeous hotel with high-class amenities. Bathrooms and spa are updated, and linens were high quality. Staff was friendly. Free wireless internet was convenient. The location is very convenient to Muckross Park, and just outside of Killarney. To get to town, you will want to take a cab or shuttle as the road is too busy for safely walking especially at night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Geraldine O Neill

Been to Muckross Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!