“Fantastic family hotel in a brilliant location” 4 of 5 stars

Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lower Lake, Killarney, Ireland   |
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Fantastic family hotel in a brilliant location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We spent two lovely weeks in the Castlerosse in one of the Woodland Cottages. The staff were very friendly and helpful, particularly Claire, Danielle, Aine and all the Castle Rangers crew in the kiddies club. The cottage was clean, spacious and comfortable and was ideal for us (3 children ranging from 4-8). The walkway around the park was ideal for cycling and walks given it was in from the road. There is a lovely family friendly feel in the hotel and we all felt at home there. We had a meal one night in the hotel which was fine but there is room for improvement. The setting is beautiful but the food could be better. The swimming pool is very well maintained and was used frequently by all! We will be definitely try and return again next year.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Ciaran,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you enjoyed you stay and we made you feel at home. There is so much to do and the area is ideal for walks, cycling and exploring the National Park with the family. I will pass on your kind words to the team, especially the girls in the Castle Rangers.
We would love to welcome you back to the Castlerosse in the future.

Mark Bowe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Lurgan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

As an annual visitor to Kerry this is certainly a good hotel for a family. The kiddies club can give a welcome breather for parents, there's a play park and tennis court and the location whereby one can walk directly into the national park and enjoy a lovely stroll into the town or roundabout amidst some of the finest scenery in the county and indeed country is great.

However, there are negatives. I cannot speak for the hotel rooms as we have only ever stayed in the cottages/lodges but the latter really really need work done to them. Aside from these cottages/lodges being fairly antiquated at this stage, the suite of furniture is very uncomfortable and small. If you're a lounger on a sofa in front of the TV you can forget it. The bathrooms are poor - think average Ireland hotel circa 1980 and you're close to having the picture. If money were spent in this area I think you could have one of the very best hotels in the wider area. In that sense, they are missing a trick. The argument of course will be collapse of Celtic Tiger etc.. However, the hotel has only ever been packed when I have been there over the past three/four years or so (which perhaps tells you something - people are still going) and the money should be there to spend and should be spent. One small observation though one that I feel may be telling is that the tennis court was locked and access had been obtained through the surrounding wire fence. I can understand the need for the tennis court not being a free for all and that booking may be required but the gaping hole was unsightly and it had not been fixed. Perhaps the hole had just happened but it would not surprise me if it was a lot older as money is not being spent where it should.

The food in the restaurant could do with improvement and two years running now I've heard cursing from the reception area - once each year to be clear. In ordinary everyday life I couldn't care less about cursing but on my summer holiday I prefer not to hear staff grumble with an expletive thrown in. It's not professional and with a lobby area where young children roam freely it surprised me somewhat. The object of the summer holiday is generally to escape the daily stresses of one's working life - not to listen to those of others.

If you're not fussy about your food, if you intend to spend all of the day time out and about (subject to weather!) and therefore aren't too bothered about luxury, if you like not spending an arm and a leg and if you value a great location then this may be the hotel for you. Personally, I may very well go back for these very reasons but it will be with a slight sense of disappointment that more of an effort isn't made. But maybe next year it will!

• Stayed July 2014
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Barrister,
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am delighted that you and your family got to enjoy and relax in the beautiful surroundings and even avail of the on-site activities from the “Castel Ranger Kids Club” to tennis.
Regarding refurbishment of the Cottages and Hotel we have plans which we are actually currently undertaking. There was some damage to the fencing on the tennis court which has only been repaired. We also lock the courts and have signage asking guests to contact the leisure centre to reserve a time. We have put this signage up to ensure it is only residents that can avail of the facilities.
Regarding the language from reception, I am very sorry to hear that and I do apologise, I will speak to them personally.
We would love to welcome you back to the Castlerosse again.

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed here for two nights in the beautiful town of Killarney. The location was hopeless - miles from the city centre. While it was possible to walk to the city centre, it involved a good 15-20 minutes hike through a wood near the hotel! The rooms were awfully dated. Using the hotel's email service was quite expensive. Staff not very responsible. Food in the main restaurant was so-so.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if you are in Killarney. There are many other nice hotels in the city centre.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Cynthia,
I was disappointed to read that our location bordering and overlooking the magnificent Killarney National Park, Lough Leane, Tommie’s and Purple Mountain was “hopeless”. As are only located 3 kilometres from Killarney town centre the 20 minute walk through the National Park on a fantastic evenly surfaced tarmac should be enjoyable and relaxing.
The WiFi which is provided throughout the hotel is free of charge for guests however we also have a computer terminal which guests can avail of.
We would love to wlecome you back to the Castleorsse in the future to enjoy the true beauty of Killarney.

Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed three nights here. The best part of our stay was the guest reception attendants. Especially the girl who helped my husband with a pizza delivery to the hotel on our last night, who also happened to assist us with our check out tje next morning.

We ate in the on-site pub on the day we checked in. The waitress was friendly but her service was poor. We ordered three meals, two hamburger meals and one seafood chowder. The hamburgers and chips were not good. My son and I ate it because we were starving but I wouldn't go back. However, my husband's seafood chowder was excellent. On our last night my husband decided he wanted the chowder again, but he was two minutes late for dinner. By the time someone seated him it was 10 minutes late. He asked if he could get a bowl of chowder. They would not serve him food, period.

This hotel does not have top sheets. We asked for them and they did provide additional sheets for us.

This hotel does not provide small face towels. I asked for them, but they don't have them.

This hotel is in a good location.

The hotel room was clean.

This hotel cost me over $200 dollars a night. This hotel did not meet my expectations for a room that cost that much per night.

Stayed July 2014
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Aldixiecat,

I am glad that the receptionists were so helpful to you during your stay. I was disappointed however, to read about the service you received in the bar and will mention it to the team. Regarding the “top sheets” we do have sheets, blankets as well as the duvet that is already on the bed.
I am afraid your exchange rate conversion is wrong as we are currently selling rooms at €59 per person sharing per night.

caragh, Kildare, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Bus driver experience . Easy find hotel . Loads of parking , we arrange porters for the baggage but it would be easier to load at the rear , checking in was great happy receptionist was quick and painless . The dinner service is great both nights 3 courses in under an hour with good food , well done to both kitchen and services, breakfast was nice buffet style , it's my second time there , overall all it good, it's a nice family holiday venue . The barman he's local so so quick he was on his own
Richard Wednesday ,Thursday July.

Room Tip: Try and get a room near the front desk . Otherswise long walks, arrive early
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Richard,
Thank you for your kind review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found the facilities, location and service to your liking. I will pass on your kind words to the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future with your group.
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Visited with 2 kids and hubby for one night break. Thankfully only booked one night. Good points nice decor, friendly staff, food nice but expensive. Bad points. Very noisey room (hotel on one level) but some rooms upstairs, so very noisey all night. Alsoo room 255 was a long way away from reception and main entrance, also fire exit door near room open all day and night so security not the best. No TV, was not working had a maintance person look at it but he said he could not fix it??. Asked him what I could do and said it was just not working?.. Bit too queit for my taste. Not a lot of familys but a lot of older guests and it seemed perfect for my mam or my grandparents. Would I go back . I would not as went to another hotel the next night in killarney area and a lot better.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear MisseyB,

I was disappointed to read your review to see that you did not enjoy your stay. I do apologise for the TV not working on the evening you arrived, and how the situation was handled. Regarding security, we do monitor the hotel regularly day and night as well as having security cameras throughout the property. We are also fortunate enough to be in such a safe area where incidents are very isolated. I feel I must disagree with the price of food being expensive as a Thai Green Curry is only €9.80 in Mulligans Bar.

I will pass on you kind words to the team.

Cobh, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Our second stay in Casstlerosse. Family weekend away. Best location for cycling trips, family orientated hotel, nice swimming pool and play ground. Fabulous views over the golf course, delicious food, rooms spacious and clean. Very friendly and helpful staff, you couldn't really ask for more.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Kate,
Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. I am glad we ticked all the boxes for you!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Castlerosse for your 3rd family visit in the future!

Mark Bowe

Been to Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes? Share your experiences!