Castlerosse is a fine hotel but to call it a 'resort/holiday home' seems to be a misnomer. It is a large hotel with individual cabins/cottages, however, it feels like a dated hotel that happens to have a golf course, a small pool and sauna and jacuzzi, a bar and a restaurant. The walls are quite thin (as were most of the hotels we stayed in Ireland), the overall appearance dated and in need of updating if it is to be considered a 'resort', however, the rooms were comfortable and adequate, the location convenient to many tourist sites in Killarney (by car), the gas station, and the town of Killarney (walkable in about 20 minutes along an unlit wooded path). Parking is free if you have a car.
We had a pleasant stay here, however, we were struck by the age of the guests. We were expecting more young families and couples. I think a bridge tournament was being held the time of our stay, but the average age of almost all of the people we saw in the lobby, pub, restaurant and hallways seemed to be around 70 years old.
The front desk clerks - particularly Joanna - were extremely helpful, efficient, and friendly. Truly they made our stay very pleasant and memorable. The bartenders and waiters in the pub were also excellent and the food and drink were reasonably priced. The breakfast was sufficient and the buffets were well stocked. We booked one tour through the front desk - it may have been less expensive to have done so on our own, but a shuttle bus came to get us the morning of our tour.
The pool/locker room was very much like a public swim area in the US. Not luxurious, not paricularly clean, and smelling quite strongly of chlorine. The jets in the jacuzzi didn't seem to all be working, and the shower stall drains were filled with hair and soap. The young man at the desk was quite friendly and helpful.
If traveling back to Killarney, I would most likely choose a different hotel for my stay. However, Castelrosse provided all of the basic amenities that a hotel should offer along with very nice service. But if one is expecting a 'resort' type of atmosphere, I would not book here.
- Also Known As:
- Castlerosse Hotel And Golf Resort
- Castlerosse Hotel & Golf Killarney
- Castlerosse Hotel & Golf
- Castlerosse Hotel Killarney
- Hotel Castlerosse
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Castlerosse Hotel and Holiday Homes are located on the lakeside just 2kms from Killarney town, with magnificent views of the Lower Lake and Magillycuddy Mountains. It is in a pristine environment flanked on one side by Killarney National Park and on the other by Killarney Golf & Fishing Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, Otel, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.